1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] More historical Game Modes coming in New frontier Pass

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Jul 23, 2020.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Anton just tweeted that more historical game modes are coming in the next few months. Yay!

LeroyChenkins, Hawke9, Bonci and 6 others like this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I am mystified why they put out the more contentious modes first.

3. adrifranchise

adrifranchise Chieftain

i am hoping this is them getting it out of their system. i am looking forward to the coming months but it looks like balance seems to be very low on their priority list so i am not sure i really believe him on that note

4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Maybe the other ones are harder to work and just need the time to cook properly.

glider1 and bbbt like this.
  5. GunsGermsandSteel

GunsGermsandSteel Warlord

Well I for one am glad to hear this from the devs.

Hawke9 and SupremacyKing2 like this.
  6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I am interested in this line in the tweet. "designed to be more organic additions to normal historical play, that can be left on all the time. Subtle but still exciting changes to the existing balance."

It sounds like some of the historical modes will be smaller changes but will tweak the existing gameplay in interesting ways. I am definitely hoping for game modes that improve combat, diplomacy and loyalty. Maybe a game mode will add some small changes to loyalty to allow revolutions or civil wars. I hope so.

Hawke9, Bonci, Zaarin and 3 others like this.
  7. klail

klail Chieftain

I love the two modes they've added so far and am really looking forward to the new ones. Really hoping for a zombie apocalypse mode -- especially because the barbarian AI seem to put up the best fight since they are fearless and I presume a zombie faction would have a similar fearless AI.

I really love the mode concept in general. Being able to turn on/off game features for different user's tastes is awesome. You'll never please everyone but with this it seems like you can get pretty close.

Haig and Noble Zarkon like this.
  8. AsH2

AsH2 Prince

I guess, because "balance" were not an issue for those two.

9. Snarf054

Snarf054 Chieftain

Makes sense to me to put out the less historical modes first. The base game is all historical (well sort of) so adding the modes that are a big difference first gives the game more variety. Then go back to your bread and butter so the purists put away their torches and pitchforks.

Karmah, Pfeffersack and Linklite like this.
  10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Currently my NFP bucket has 1 civ I would rarely play nor feel threatened by rolling around at the bottom with a half decent pantheon change so am all up for something that feels worthwhile.
    Something like hard mode would be nice.

acluewithout likes this.
  11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I think I'm going to like the secret societies. The idea of the first mode where the comets come and blow up all the stuff I've been spending the game building . . . I don't get why that is fun.

Karmah and Pfeffersack like this.
  12. Linklite

Linklite Prince

Exactly, and by getting the controversial content out first will hook those who are not so enamoured by "historical" themes but might be tempted by mythical stuff. If you leave the mythical stuff till last, they might have lost their attention.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  13. Meluhhan

Meluhhan Warlord

It is interesting to note that two of the newly introduced leader/civ abilities (those of Magnificence Catherine and Ethiopia respectively) provide incentives to have multiple copies of a resource. Corporations/ resource monopoly mechanics incoming?

Avenger237 and Myomoto like this.
  14. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

He says the "majority" of the game modes are going to be historical. I recall there being six game modes advertised. Since a majority of six is four or more, that means the rest of the game modes are all historical in theme. I can live with that.

15. Meluhhan

Meluhhan Warlord

To be pedantic, his tweet in entirety says, "Majority of the Modes we have planned for the future releases..." Four more Modes are to come, majority of which would be three or more. So, there is still a chance for one of those to not be so historical.

borad and Pfeffersack like this.
  16. Linklite

Linklite Prince

Since he said the majority of future releases, if we assume that he is being precise with his terminology, then there is only one configuration that works, if there are 4 left.
    • 3 historical.
    • 1 non-historical.
    There is no other configuration that allows a majority to be historical, while having the use of the word "majority" make sense as opposed to "all". Of course, things are still subject to change.

Pfeffersack and NCC-1701 like this.
  17. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Prince

I'm going to make my usual inaccurate guess and say the modes are being released in order of how much work they take to implement. There's a lot of new art - really cool art to be sure - but it's just disasters and governors so far.

acluewithout and Myomoto like this.
  18. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

Touche.

19. Haig

Haig Deity

Also the months between the dlc that have patches and stuff will have at least one game mode (accordibg to the producer) so thats another game mode besides the dlc ones!

About historical modes I predict:
    Something for warfare like drafting or world wars
    Trading or resource related

About fantastical modes:
    More future units and infra
    XCom crossover game mode where aliens try to capture earth :smoke:

Myomoto likes this.
  20. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

I hope they add the health and disease mechanic from the scenario to one of these modes. It is something hugely historical (or else we wouldn't be living this year at all), and worked in the scenario. But maybe the pandemic we are living make them cross out this idea...