more interaction with the map

madm

Chieftain
Does it realy matter whether you settle near wheat or near cattle? Whether you settle near lux A or lux B? Sure, one lux might yield a science and another might yield a culture, but it just adds to the totals, you cannot do anything with that (or can you?). Settling near the Galapagos islands will yield science from the map, but building a science district there or in any other city is just the same. Wouldn't it be nice if for example libraries would give +1 science and +50% science of the city (instead of just +2)? This way it would matter whether you build a science district in a city with lux A or lux B, or near a natural wonder. The same holds for other disctricts. I kind of miss the thrill of finding a really good spot for a science/production/culture/gold producing city, now it's just filling up the map. Any ideas on that?

It matters hugely for your early cities. Less for later ones. Although a coast, a river mouth, some sea resources and a few chops can be very fun.

One thing worth trying is building cities without freshwater. I’m still working on making myself do it, but you really can end up with much better cities. You can place your city with much better adjacencies etc., more scope for regional bonuses, and you can deal with the housing issue with granaries farms chopping stuff.

I really like the housing mechanic. But it has one problem - it makes you feel like bad person when you settle on less than fresh water. All those greys and then that little red house.

Particularly for choppable resources, but even for other resources as you point out, I think it would be great if there were more buildings that gave or received a boost based on the resources near the city. Water Mill does that right now (boosting Wheat & Rice), and the Zoo and Aquarium now give a science boost to particular tiles. That's a step in the right direction, and I hope we see more like this.

Particularly for choppable resources, but even for other resources as you point out, I think it would be great if there were more buildings that gave or received a boost based on the resources near the city. Water Mill does that right now (boosting Wheat & Rice), and the Zoo and Aquarium now give a science boost to particular tiles. That's a step in the right direction, and I hope we see more like this.

Yep, definitely this. And especially for any buildings that are separate options. Like, if a barracks gave +1 production to iron and niter, or stables gave +1 production to horses (and maybe oil/uranium/aluminum?), then that might actually give me a reason to build a stable instead of a barracks if my city actually had different resources. Or for the neighbourhood buildings, maybe the shopping mall should give +1 culture to silk, cotton, dyes, etc... and the food market +1 food to spices, citrus, cocoa, etc... They're not big bonuses, but they make you feel more related to your environment. Just like how I wish there was a way to use more of the pantheons - I love searching our more quarry resources if I have stone circles, but since I don't choose it very often, I don't get that fun. I mean, I probably should still harvest the stone, but if I'm getting some faith from it, it will make me more interested in keeping it around.

Top Bottom