More interesting sea terrain?

Terrance888

Discord Reigns
Maybe they can implement more interesting sea terrain than just basic Coast and Ocean. With archers having 2 range, that means that most true islands would need to have 2 tiles distance from the coast. however, a few suggestions can change that:

Strait/Sound: A spit of sea that splits apart two landmasses. Such as Long Island Sound and English Channel or Gibraltar Strait. Ranged units -1 range firing over Straits (so no archer over 1 tile English Channel, but yes artillary). Defending Naval Units + Defence (Rough Terrain). And units with Embarktion can cross straits in 1 turn. (1 turn turn into ship, 1/2 turn cross, 1/2 turn disembark with -50% defence for the landing). It counts as a Coast tile.

Island: A single, small island off the coast. The space between and island and an adjacent land are automatically strait/sound. (Long Island is possible now!) If that strait is just one side, a naval unit can edge across it. Islands make coasts more interesting. Can build a fort. It is a land tile and cities are allowed. Bridges are allowed as city production.

Small Island/Archipelego: A group of small islands. Too small for forts. Protection for naval units. I guess land units can go on small islands, nor cities. But they can provide sea or even land resources for a peninsular city. Pretty useful to fill out Pacific near single hex islands or multi-hex "Traditional" islands. Can provide various production resources with hills and such. Count as coast/sea tile!

Trench (under water?) + Evasion - Detection of Subs. Useful for nukes.

Bump? Do you guys want me to illistrate my ideas?

Strait will be =
Coast is 0
Land is L
instead of
LoL where archers fire across, you get L=L, where archers can't fire across
Ships can still pass through, units can dis and reembark across it.

Island. will be H
= will be not a real tile: assumed tile.
Instead of
l-l-l
ooo
olo
ooo for islands

you can have
LLL
0=0
0H0
Where H is graphically next to land with a small water border, and ships can slip through the strait between land and island.

Also:
LLLLLL
00=L
00H=L
Can be possible, leting naval units with enough move to slip across the two straits.

I don't see the need. It's an unnecessary complication. Many maps would never be able to make effective use of the variety.

some of the ideas arnt bad, maybe make a mod?

I love the idea of a deep trench that hides subs good.

More interesting sea terrain would indeed be nice. From my understanding there is an increased emphasis on naval warfare in this edition so some of your suggestions would seem a natural progression.

Downloading an Image showing old fashioned CIV style islands, and how my ideas would work.

O is for Ocean and is dark blue
C is for coast and is grayish blue
4 are straits, and they are also light blue.
1 are Islands with auto straits
2 are CIV style Islands
3 are for small Islands (not sure for straits, coasts or ocean)

Also, I used brush on the outer edge of the hex for viewing, and I realize the Islands are hard to see so if you guys petition, I can change green to brown.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i like it, most of all the strait/sound idea, but not as a tile itself. I will implementate it just like a river but wider. To cross it you must have resercehd de invarcation tech and naval untis can cross from one hex to an other that is conected by a strait/sound. This will represent very comon real world geography with out putting a coastal tile between spain and africa, for example.

i think it would be great if we could build under sea road and rail (english channel tunnel)

I'd love to have it --

But as I said in the N v N thread, it's pointless... 'water' was essentially seen as a necessary annoyance by most, so the trend is obviously towards increasingly simplified naval play, not more.

I like the idea of more varied seatiles.

Reefs (naval units lose all turns going through) clustered here and there could complicate naval warfare. Could also give something additional for cities working them.

Cliffs, situated like a river between a land and a sea tile. Disallows embarking or landing over the cliffline. This could make landing troops more complicated, like a river these are in a line, varying in length.

I think such additions in a mod would be great, adds some strategy to the whole naval part of the game.

I like the idea of more varied seatiles.

Reefs (naval units lose all turns going through) clustered here and there could complicate naval warfare. Could also give something additional for cities working them.

Cliffs, situated like a river between a land and a sea tile. Disallows embarking or landing over the cliffline. This could make landing troops more complicated, like a river these are in a line, varying in length.

I think such additions in a mod would be great, adds some strategy to the whole naval part of the game.

We already have the great barrier reef natural wonder which you can't pass through at all, so perhaps a variation on that would be appropriate.

I like the idea of the cliffs!

i think it would be great if we could build under sea road and rail (english channel tunnel)

Obligatory Rise of Mankind/A New Dawn plug -- that mod for IV has precisely this.

Don't remember if it's an RoM component or AND component, but there's a tech grouping that allows for tunneling across straights to provide land connections and eventually, even one that allows cross-ocean tunneling and settlements.

I've only gotten to it a couple times -- it's in the "future techs" era, and since I play on eternity -- that's literally hundreds of hours into a game, but it is indeed pretty cool. Of course - I learned the hardway that it's really just a road anyone can use... the first one I built, the AI just happened to march a stack through it, right under my coastal naval defense.

We already have the great barrier reef natural wonder which you can't pass through at all, so perhaps a variation on that would be appropriate.

I like the idea of the cliffs!

That's exactly what I mean, could just slightly change the graphic and voila. Also, barrier reef is completely impassable. Normal reef would be passable but at the cost of all movement points. Cliffs would be harder to implement though :/

Or alternatively you could have beaches, and they ould eb the only places you could land troops. I would sprinkle them around pretty liberally so really it would just be the inverse of beaches.

I do like the idea of a coastal island tile. Not 100% sure what would be the best way to implement it though.

Beaches, Reefs and cliffs also sound cool. Beaches: bonus commerance, amphibious attack? Reefs impass for subs, def for ships, stop movement? Trenches + sub invisibility and defense v.s. planes. Cliffs no amphibious and ship building + 10-20% hammer cost to a cliffed coast only city? (like Dover.)

Top Bottom