- May 7, 2011
More Luxuries Deluxe
(Note: this is currently an addon and the original More Luxuries mod needs to be enabled first.)
Here's an early, unfinished version of the mod for others to try out. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I'll flesh-out this main post in the next couple of days with a more detailed feature list, things under development, and future feature I'm planning.
- - - - - -
1) Luxury type totals per map size have been tweaked. I'll upload a nice chart soon.
2) Regional luxuries each utilize new impact tables to help guide them a little better during regional placements. These impact tables use a decrementing impact value as the ripples spread outward from the impact site. I'll upload a diagram of this soon as well to better explain.
3) City-state luxuries utilize a similar impact table for each type to help give a much greater chance of spreading out different types between neighboring city-states. (Don't you hate it when you have a group of city-states within your region and they ALL have the same damn luxury?)
4) City-state luxuries are all exclusive to city-states -- you won't find them anywhere else on the map! Also, city-states will only use this special pool of luxuries, they won't use any random types or anything. Allying with (or conquering!) city-states is much more beneficial. Again, more diagrams and charts will be revealed to better explain!
5) City-state luxury type totals increase with map size. Standard uses 6 luxuries exclusively for city-states. Huge uses 8. (another note: I plan on creating an advanced map option to use a Sparse, Standard, Abundant setting for only city-state luxury quantities... plus many more advanced options. This way, players can play the game the way they wish.)
5) Random luxury totals on maps are scaled by map size. Previously, the default system was a little screwy and usually only placed 3 copies of each random luxury (with the first few types receiving an extra +1 or +2 sometimes) because the world target number was always too small.
Now, it works a bit differently, and the same number of random types are used for each map size -- their quantities increase. Right now, it's equal to half of the default number of civs for each map size. So, for Standard, the 6 random luxuries (marble included) will place 4 copies each throughout the map (not counting any placed as each start location's 2nd luxury type). Huge will place 6 copies of each type.
I plan on implementing a impact table for the random luxury placements too, with decrementing ripples values. At first I was going to utilize it for each separate type, but I decided to keep things fairly random (they're random luxuries afterall!). So, the only thing I'll control is their distances to each other when placed, to ensure that the whole map gets a fair chance at them and there aren't too barren/abundant areas.