More music like the opening theme

Desmond5

Chieftain
I find the Civ4 opening theme to be just spetacular. It's so great. I would like to hear more music like this. Can anyone please suggest me something similar ? It's african music, right ?

Best regards,
Desmond5

Less music like the opening theme. I find the fact that they used a christian prayer as their theme to be extremely annoying and aggravating. Sometimes i turn off the music before quitting just to make sure that i don't need to listen to it when i start up the game again. Stupid Americans and their fixation with Christianity...

Yes, stupid us with our "fixation" with Christianity. Don't take into account that the vast majority of Americans are Christian, and the vast majority of the remaining minority list themselves as "no religion specified." I guess we just have a unreasonable bias.

All of that aside, I didn't even know that the opening theme was a Christian prayer until you brought it up, and I'm still not sure why it would bother you that much. Even if you don't agree with Christianity, I don't know why music would offend you. Maybe you know the words, and they're offensive to you?

Zombie you sound like the fanatic not of the Civ Kind but just the plain crazy kind. But I agree, That Baba Yet song is way overdone way overblown for a Civ type opening theme. Why its just Baba 'yet' again and again. Jeez thers no chorus to the lord prayer but if there was why pick those words to repeat a millon times?.
Ok its sounds a lil catchy for a while, but Why not stick with what worked before and never got annoying. I loved the opening to Civ Complete. its the full version to the Civ3 theme. I found it put you in the mood to go a conquering a lil better then reciting a prayer Lion King style.

Its one of those tunes that catchy to begin with, but eventually you learn to hate it with a passion. I often mess up my settings in custom games, because I'm so eager to get that music to go away.

Does anyone know where the file for it is located, so i can change it to something else?

Desmond5 said:
I find the Civ4 opening theme to be just spetacular. It's so great. I would like to hear more music like this. Can anyone please suggest me something similar ? It's african music, right ?

Best regards,
Desmond5

Try Dead Can Dance - "Spiritchaser", it's not really the same style as Baba Yetu, but it's wonderful and works great as Civ-soundtrack :thumbsup:

"Baba Yetu" is Swahili for "Our Father", the widely-accepted title of the prayer, so it makes sense as a chorus. Though the composer, Christopher Tin, confessed that the "yetu, yetu" repetition is only there for rhythm. It would have made more sense to insert "Jesu" (Jesus) instead, but Tin isn't especially religious and didn't want that element of the music to be in anyone's face. Given Zombie's (over)reaction, which is by no means unique, I'd say his instinct was correct.

I'm not religious myself but I quite enjoy this piece of music. It entirely suits the game (especially since this is the first Civ to include religion as a game element), appropriately polycultural, and dare I say uplifting. I enjoy Handel's Messiah and Beethoven's Ode to Joy as well, not in spite of their religious elements, but because of them.

What with all the "my god can beat your god any day of the week" perspective that far too many people have of their religion, it's easy to see why so many people get turned off of the whole idea. It's far too easy--for both believers and non-believers--to forget that at the heart of all religions is a spiritual element that is all about being part of something greater than ourselves, and that connects us to everyone.

That being said, music is all about personal taste. If you don't like it, fine, turn it off or substitute something else, which is quite easily done. Jimbob, I'm not at my Civ computer right now, or I'd tell you the path and file name. I'll try to remember to post it here later.

To (finally) answer the OP, I haven't come across too many other types of music like this. Tin has, on his web site, made both the menu and opening movie music available for download (just Google Christopher Tin). I have a small collection of somewhat-similar world music; check out the Quango label for some interesting titles.

Would have been nice to have had several different pieces of music (from which one is randomly selected when you start Civ) echoing the different cultures in the game.

I had a friend who lived in Africa most his life listen to the song, he told me it was Swahili and they sing about Jesus. Just FYI :)

Sisiutil said:
"Baba Yetu" is Swahili for "Our Father", the widely-accepted title of the prayer, so it makes sense as a chorus. Though the composer, Christopher Tin, confessed that the "yetu, yetu" repetition is only there for rhythm. It would have made more sense to insert "Jesu" (Jesus) instead, but Tin isn't especially religious and didn't want that element of the music to be in anyone's face. Given Zombie's (over)reaction, which is by no means unique, I'd say his instinct was correct.

I'm not religious myself but I quite enjoy this piece of music. It entirely suits the game (especially since this is the first Civ to include religion as a game element), appropriately polycultural, and dare I say uplifting. I enjoy Handel's Messiah and Beethoven's Ode to Joy as well, not in spite of their religious elements, but because of them.

What with all the "my god can beat your god any day of the week" perspective that far too many people have of their religion, it's easy to see why so many people get turned off of the whole idea. It's far too easy--for both believers and non-believers--to forget that at the heart of all religions is a spiritual element that is all about being part of something greater than ourselves, and that connects us to everyone.

That being said, music is all about personal taste. If you don't like it, fine, turn it off or substitute something else, which is quite easily done. Jimbob, I'm not at my Civ computer right now, or I'd tell you the path and file name. I'll try to remember to post it here later.

To (finally) answer the OP, I haven't come across too many other types of music like this. Tin has, on his web site, made both the menu and opening movie music available for download (just Google Christopher Tin). I have a small collection of somewhat-similar world music; check out the Quango label for some interesting titles.

Quoted for truth and reason.

I like the music menu music a lot and I love the official Civ4 theme. And I think the prayer stand for all religions, as there are several ways leading to the same wisdom. Both the Civ4 menu music "Baba Yetu" and the Civ4 theme "Coronation" (only included in the opening video) are compositions of Christopher Tin:
http://christophertin.com

You can download "Coronation" in MP3 format from here:
http://christophertin.com/samples/Coronation.mp3

More samples from Christopher:
http://christophertin.com/samples.html

Christopher is mostly known for his movie soundtracks and as musical director of the "Talisman" a cappella ensemble:
http://www.stanfordtalisman.com

Talisman did all singings for Christopher's compositions in Civilization IV and their "Best Of" album amoung others is available on Amazon USA:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005LP1B/civilizationfana

It pretty tame and timid New Agey stuff: Rather Yanni-esque and somewhat cheesey.

There is much better out there if you are into World music.

Go to any internet radio station that plays WORLD music and you will hear the same stuff....ad nauseum.

Desmond5 said:

Best regards,
Desmond5

I'm with you I like this song too (the mrs hates it but she hates most things:lol: ) I liked the song that much i have a copy of it in my music files so i don't even need to start the game to hear it :mischief:

Top Bottom