More Natural Disasters...

Owain

G Flashing Inaccessable
New to this board, so sorry if this may be a overdone topic of convo, but I was thinking I'd like to see more Natural Disasters. Volcanos and disease epidemics are in, lets get hurricanes, monsoons, earthquakes... Maybe even meteor strikes.

I was actually sort of thinking a mod could be done in civ3 for hurricanes or tornadoes... Maybe just create a new sort of barbarian camp called a "sub-tropical depression" or some such thing and have it ocasionally spawn a flying barbarian with graphics that look like a hurricane to rampage around and destroy some stuff or bombard a city...

I'm not sure how earthquakes could be implemented... nuclear/volcano effects are no good. It would have to be something totally new... Or maybe just another barbarian unit with a graphic that looks like a crevase or something, but that would be kinda lame. I'd rather see some sort of nuclear-like effect with diminishing damage from the epicenter, but without that nuclkear waste/lava effect... but still with the ability to destroy improvements on tiles...

Anyway, jsut some ideas.

Maybe a late game disaster (like post-nuclear era) could actually be the posibility of an alien invasion... Basically just some super tough barbarian spawns... just some ideas...

Here's my Ideas for disesse that I placed in annother thread:
I just thought I'd throw in my Idea on the disease Issue. Over the course of time different terrain would have a risk of causing disease in nearby cities as it does now. But rather than killing the citizen instantly, they would first become "infected". While infected the citizen only requires 1 food and can not work. Infected citizens have a chance of surviving the disease which can be increaced with the discovery of medicine/sanitation/building hospitals. For every citizen that survives a disease, the chance of future infection lowers to reflect natural resistance/immmunity and improvements in medicine. The effect would at first only effect the infected city unless it was connected to the rest of the empire so it can share its knowlage. Eventually, you people would become completley immune to that specific disease, but each disease producing area on a continent would have a different strain of the disease, and require more time to immunize. Certain diseases would be impossible to destroy ie. Influenza 'the flu'.
The ability to spread a disease that exists only on your continent to others (like what happent to the native Ammericans with smallpox) could be implemented, While your people would infect the locals with your ailments, they would also be vulnerable to local plagues. In later ages as medicine and communication improve problems like this could be stoped by giving you the ability to sell of give cures to various diseases.

You could also apply that system to Fix Radiation effects on cities:
When a City nuked, a % of it's surviving citizens will be infected with "radiation poisoning" (say, 50% from direct hit, 30% if it's the next square over) People only have a chance of survival if there is a hospital in the City (about 25%) survival rate increaces to 50% after discovering genetics, and to 75% if you build the cure for cancer.

Remember. The more added to Civ4 the more complicated, and ultimately confusing, it will become.

MSTK said:
And then all units that pass by the square (on the square or the next square over) within five turns will get radation poisoned too ?

Poisioning of units would be different, probably just some damage. What I'm talking about applies to the people in the City, that's all.

Top Bottom