More People like Archaeologists

dunkleosteus

Roman Pleb
So we have the Archaeologist, which can be built with regular old production but is able to generate great works by expending charges. It's a cute little feature, but the Enlightenment era (around the time you get them) was characterized by all sorts of natural philosophers exploring and learning about the world. They mapped, noted and dug up everything they could find.

I think this sounds like a great idea. The archaeologist excavates sites to create artifacts that can go in museums. Of course we'd need more slots somewhere, but I think it would be equally interesting to have paleontologists that can excavate fossil sites. Rather than in-game eras, fossil sites can have a continent and a time period from the past, so for example if your continent was "Europa" your fossil might be "Mammoth tusk - Europa: Pliocene". There would be a number of different types of fossil to excavate and certain fossils would be limited by continent. (Even though Mammoths lived all across Europe, Asia and North America in real life) In this example, Mammoth fossils might only be found in the Europa continent in the game, along with a number of other fossils from different time periods. Maybe 2 or 3 types of fossil from each time period for each continent. Each time you discover a fossil that has never been discovered before, you get a one-time small boost to science, culture and tourism. This means you could have duplicate fossils, especially if you only excavate in your own territory, so it would best to spread out and excavate as many areas as you can. Fossils in some sort of slot (maybe a museum?) would generate science and tourism and theming bonuses might be something like "x fossils, all from the same continent and different eras" or "x fossils, all from the same era but different continents".

I think it would also be fun to have a sort of rush-to-discover starting in the Enlightenment era. Different types of scientist could be built to discover or research different resources or natural features. For example, a biologist could spend a charge on a deer tile to get a one-time boost to science. After this, deer can't be used to generate science with biologist charges. All animal and plant based resources can be researched in this way, so examples would include furs, whales, fish, horses, etc. Geologists could be built to gain science from stone, marble, coal, niter, oil, diamonds, gypsum, jade, and salt. Chemists could be used to gain science from copper, iron, gold, silver, uranium, aluminum, and mercury.

When a new discovery is made by a scientist, you receive an amount of science and great scientist points.

Additionally, scientists could be used to learn about natural wonders.
Most wonders would be researchable by geologists, while the Great Barrier Reef and Galapagos islands can be researched by Biolgists. Expending Darwin near a natural wonder also counts towards "researching" the wonder, if it has not been researched by another civ before. Darwin's bonuses aren't diminished either way, only improved if you are first to research it.

I have a related idea for Archaeologists that I figure could also be stuck in here. When a city is captured, I think world wonders should have a chance of being destroyed, depending on how old they are (for each era before the current one, the chance increases). If a wonder is destroyed, it can't be repaired but it can be restored by an archaeolgist. Restoring generates a large amount of tourism and culture immediately, creates unique artifacts and gives the city that owns the tile a sizable culture and tourism boost.

So we have the Archaeologist, which can be built with regular old production but is able to generate great works by expending charges. It's a cute little feature, but the Enlightenment era (around the time you get them) was characterized by all sorts of natural philosophers exploring and learning about the world. They mapped, noted and dug up everything they could find.

I think this sounds like a great idea. The archaeologist excavates sites to create artifacts that can go in museums. Of course we'd need more slots somewhere, but I think it would be equally interesting to have paleontologists that can excavate fossil sites. Rather than in-game eras, fossil sites can have a continent and a time period from the past, so for example if your continent was "Europa" your fossil might be "Mammoth tusk - Europa: Pliocene". There would be a number of different types of fossil to excavate and certain fossils would be limited by continent. (Even though Mammoths lived all across Europe, Asia and North America in real life) In this example, Mammoth fossils might only be found in the Europa continent in the game, along with a number of other fossils from different time periods. Maybe 2 or 3 types of fossil from each time period for each continent. Each time you discover a fossil that has never been discovered before, you get a one-time small boost to science, culture and tourism. This means you could have duplicate fossils, especially if you only excavate in your own territory, so it would best to spread out and excavate as many areas as you can. Fossils in some sort of slot (maybe a museum?) would generate science and tourism and theming bonuses might be something like "x fossils, all from the same continent and different eras" or "x fossils, all from the same era but different continents".

I think it would also be fun to have a sort of rush-to-discover starting in the Enlightenment era. Different types of scientist could be built to discover or research different resources or natural features. For example, a biologist could spend a charge on a deer tile to get a one-time boost to science. After this, deer can't be used to generate science with biologist charges. All animal and plant based resources can be researched in this way, so examples would include furs, whales, fish, horses, etc. Geologists could be built to gain science from stone, marble, coal, niter, oil, diamonds, gypsum, jade, and salt. Chemists could be used to gain science from copper, iron, gold, silver, uranium, aluminum, and mercury.

When a new discovery is made by a scientist, you receive an amount of science and great scientist points.

Additionally, scientists could be used to learn about natural wonders.
Most wonders would be researchable by geologists, while the Great Barrier Reef and Galapagos islands can be researched by Biolgists. Expending Darwin near a natural wonder also counts towards "researching" the wonder, if it has not been researched by another civ before. Darwin's bonuses aren't diminished either way, only improved if you are first to research it.

I have a related idea for Archaeologists that I figure could also be stuck in here. When a city is captured, I think world wonders should have a chance of being destroyed, depending on how old they are (for each era before the current one, the chance increases). If a wonder is destroyed, it can't be repaired but it can be restored by an archaeolgist. Restoring generates a large amount of tourism and culture immediately, creates unique artifacts and gives the city that owns the tile a sizable culture and tourism boost.
Fellow Torontonian here.

There can be three museums: an art museum, an archaeological museum, and a natural history museum. The Royal Ontario Museum for example is all three. There should be a fourth museum: the National Museum (can only be built once per civ) and can hold two artworks, two artifacts, and two fossils; the English National Museum could hold three of each.

Top Bottom