1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

More political correctness run amuck...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MobBoss, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

I know, its not hard to do at all. Theyre purposely turning away business from gays. The only reason to deny them the service is because they feel theres something wrong with homosexuality. Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell Bush voters who are dumb:p

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I don't think that this site should be able to deny access to its services to certain people, based on their sexual orientation.

But they are offering heterosexual services.. they shouldn't have to expand on that if they don't want to.

This is different than a business hanging up a sign saying "No homosexuals allowed", IMO.

If I went into a Christian bookstore, would I be able to successfully sue them because they don't carry any Muslim texsts? Certainly not. Would I be able to sue them successfully if they refused my entry into the store because I'm not Christian. Certainly.

So I agree with most of you, but I wanted to make that distinction. And this of course would be way different if dating sites were government mandated somehow ;)

3. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

Warpus, thats why I think they should be allowed to continue the practice but should be required to state upfront that their service is only for heterosexuals. If its a position that they feel so strongly about, I dont see why they would object to it.

If a company made a shampoo that was formulated exclusively for blonde hair, theyd have to display that fact prominently in their packaging and advertizing.

4. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

This is dumb, nothing's stopping her from going to another site. I think that if this was the only dating service on the internet than it might be a problem (even then it wouldn't constitute sueing). I also agree with the above 2 posts.

5. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Indeed. Whilst it should not be made to change to accomodate homosexuals, it should specify in it's advertising that it's for hetrosexuals only.

Well put.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

See, I think that would be discrimination. I think they should advertise their services as "heterosexual services for all".

It doesn't seem like a huge distinction, but I think it's an important one:
    - You shouldn't be able to block a group of people from using your services based on their sexual orientiation, ethnic background, or religion
    - You should be able to offer a group of services for a subgroup of the population, such as a gay dating site, a christian bible shop, or a polish meat market, for example.

Right, but the distinction is that the shampoo isn't "only to be bought by blondes". That would be wrong :) Anyone should be able to buy it - but it could be designed for a specific subgroup.

7. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

It's his business and he can choose to comply with California law, not do business in California, or live with the consequences.

8. C~G

C~G Untouchable

You probably mean that anyone can have access to these services as long as they are interest of dating gays, reading christian bibles (and not asking for Quran) and eating polish meat (and not asking for hungarian meat).

If so, it is indeed different from the first option.

9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

You pretty much are anyway.

10. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

What if I went to a Mitsubishi parts dealer, and asked for parts for my Jeep? Could I sue him for discriminating against Jeep owners by not being able to serve me with what I wanted? That's like saying I have to swear off my manly Jeep and exchange it for a foreign car!

I don't see a difference between my hypothetical situation and this real one. This woman is being ridiculous, and should be counter sued. ;) If she has any money, of course.

11. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

I think i'm right in saying that Bozo is not out and out supporting the idea that this woman should be able to sue the company, but just saying that the company should be more clear that it is for hetrosexuals only. Thats my opinion anyhow.

12. The_anteater

The_anteater Chieftain

What are the obligations of a busieness such as that? Or indeed what are the obligations of any business? Simply TO Make Money! They have no obligation to provide a service, even if they said they would, else I could sue dell computers for an error on an advert for a PC, to the tune of £1000! But there is no obligation for this company to live up to her expectation, that she could find another lesbian to date. This is true just as much as for a hetrosexual woman who couldn't find the right man for any reason.

13. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

But they must be fair in making that money. Hence why in this case they need to make clear it's for hetrosexuals only, as it's unfair not to do that and then make money from a homosexual who was unaware of this.

(btw - if anyone points out it's a free service i'm sure they get cash from advertsing or whatever and thus you make them money by looking at the adevrts/going on their site).

14. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

It's not clear that he has broken California law. I'm not the only one who doesn't think there's any discrimination happening.

15. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

So now "straight bars" have to advertise that they are "straight"? I don't know a single one that does, if not stated otherwise one assume it is straight. Not assuming so would cause alot of headaches for gay men, I'm sure.

This woman is just looking for easy money, no physical or emotional damage was caused by the website. I'm sure there are dozens of websites for lesbians she could have used, but instead she chose to sue the ones she couldn't. She should get sued for such a frivolous law suit.

16. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

In one sense, MobBoss is right - had the prevailing culture of PC not existed in the first place, this lawsuit would never have happened.

17. Harbringer

Harbringer Your A One Flower Garden

Then they must also mention that they dont offer polish meaton there site or selling car parts, let me put it to you this way, If I open a food store called "food mart" I dont have to put a bunch of signs out front saying what we dont sell, thats rediculous.

18. C~G

C~G Untouchable

You mean that the rise of liberalism, tolerance of minorities and other cultures has caused side-effect known as PC to become to the awareness of people at large and now many people try to actively seek things that they could sue based into PC-principles? It might be true.

Then again there's nothing wrong sueing people based into discrimination.
    It shouldn't be discouraged either to say at least.

True discrimination is always much worse than anything PC can throw at your face.

I rather be PC than intolerant piece of crap.

19. The_anteater

The_anteater Chieftain

Well, why do they have an obligation to tell people that they don't do busieness that they offer? Does that mean that a ford garage has to tell people that they don't stock ferraris? or even that they don't offer a dating service to lesbians?

Also, it wasn't a direct thing, saying no lesbians, it was just lack of acomodation for them. Does that mean that the site should be made so that it reads itself out incase a blind man wants to visit it? Certainly not.

Accuse me as you like about "Straw man" arguments, but these are all valid equivalents

20. CartesianFart

CartesianFart Deity

I think it would be an unwise business practice for the eHarmony company to only limit themselve to only heterosexuals when in fact is it the general principle of any business that want to create an revenue of money by appealing to all demographic that can allow them to florish?