1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

More political correctness run amuck...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MobBoss, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

Why? Companies are forced to do all sorts of things. If youre going to label gays as being so weird that youre unable to provide a simple computerized match making service for them, you should be forced to state it in your advertizing, so people know the company is run by homophobes. Since its just the truth, I dont understand what the problem is. This isnt a steakhouse, or a beauty parlor. Its a dating service. Anyway, gays can get married in more places every day. So just saying that 'its obvious' the couples get married isnt really a tip off these days.

How about if they refused to do interracial dating, would that be ok too?

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I think eHarmony has some legal problems here. First, their advertising boasts about their 29 items of combatibility and that they can find the "one" for you, yet they neglect a fairly obvious and important item of compatibility - gender of your potential match. If the thread starter went on eHarmony and was matched only men, I am sure that the other 29 items of compatibility would be worthless to him.

Second, I assume that eHarmony has secured patent protection for their matching system, meaning they hold a monopoly and no other matching service can provide the same combatibility matching criteria that eHarmnony does. This monopoly on the combatibility matching process puts eHarmony in a unique position and they are probably on shakey legal ground by barring people from making use of the patent based on sexual orientation. Certainly, eHarmony would get slapped lawsuit silly if it blocked interracial matches on their site. It is only a matter of relatively simple additions to their website to open it up to same gender matches.

3. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Could a company be able to legally specialize in non-interracial matches?
    eHarmony advertises that their patented (aka monopoly) system is the best. Since they hold a patent (aka monopoly) on the best system (if you want to assume they shouldn't be liable for false advertising), then they have an obligation to not "specialize" (as you slyly put it) in a way that illegally discriminates.

5. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

They are "homophobes" just because they don't include gays in their services? Come on! This is precisely the sort of PC run amuck that we should avoid.

6. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

I'm sure there are plenty that do. Do you not think that there are matchmaking services for African Americans only, or Chinese only, or Indians only. I'm sure I could dig some up for you if you are doubtful. If it's illegal to specialize in any one group, then a lot of matchmaking services would be shut down by an unfavorable ruling for eHarmony, and a lot of people would be really pissed off with this woman.

Sorry, that's not what a monopoly is. eHarmony would be a monopoly if they were the only matchmaking company. They're not even close. Holding a patent doesn't make you a monopoly. Is the Dyson vacuum cleaner company a monopoly because they hold some patents and claim to make the best vacuums? Absolutely not. eHarmony has many competitors, many of which actually offer their services to homosexuals, and would gladly take on Ms. Fecesforbrains Axetogrind as a client.

7. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

Just like a company that doesn't included batteries with their products would be batteriphobes. :)