More Religions

Talkie_Toaster

I toast, therefore I am
Hey everyone, I'm working on a modcomp to add the Reformation and Schizm mods while retaining the original religions. I've got it pretty much working now, except for the GameFont.tga files. I can't edit them due to lack of software/skill. Anyone feel like helping me out?

I might put Zoroastrianism in later if anyone wants it :)

Thanks to:
Panopticon for the original Reformation Mod
MatthewH86 for the Schizm Mod

Update: Yay, version 0.1!

Features:
Christianity changed to Catholicism
Protestantism added
Orthodoxy added
Python from the Reformation & Schizm mods merged.
Religions Screen tweaked so they all fit.
GameFont.tga and GameFont_75.tga edited so that the little icons on the city bar are right. (That was bloody fiddly, I'll tell you that :p)

This sounds fantastic! The main reason I didn't try these mods is because of the removal of some of the original religions. Is this just a straight addition of the Orthodox and Protestant schisms with no further gameplay changes? Has anything been done with regards to the AP hammer issue in either of these mods?

Sadly I can't help with the last bit you've got to do, but I'm looking forward to this :)

tried it too, tga files are realy a problem. You could download the dds converter and cnvert the tga to jpg and add the needed icons and conver them back to tga. I've tried this but I must have done something wrong as religions now became silk or iron.

You can open and edit TGA files very easily with Photoshop or the GIMP, if you're cheap :p

You just need to make very certain to preserve the #FF0099 grid and the same grid in the alpha channel or things get out of sequence like SadoMacho said.

Oh and if you're going to include Zoroastrianism you might find my little modcomp useful.

Úmarth;6533793 said:
You can open and edit TGA files very easily with Photoshop or the GIMP, if you're cheap :p

You just need to make very certain to preserve the #FF0099 grid and the same grid in the alpha channel or things get out of sequence like SadoMacho said.

Oh and if you're going to include Zoroastrianism you might find my little modcomp useful.
Yeah, I tried that. I spent a couple of hours last night, it never seemed to work right. I thought someone on here might have the know-how to do it right :p
I'll keep trying and let you know.
Also, thanks for the link, that'll certainly be useful :)

... and by let me know I mean... just upload it as soon as you can. lol. I don't need to be contacted; you can bet after a message like that I'll be checking the forums obsessively.

Sweet! I have downloaded and had a play around - unfortunately I think we have a few bugs to be worked out....

Most importantly, there are issues with temples and the like. I quickly loaded up a Turkish start and the AP was recently built in a Orthodox city - the blue notice appeared, but instead of "... the Orthodox faithful under one banner" (or whatever it say), there was a placeholder name instead of Orthodox (like the mercenaries used to display in the previous patch).

More seriously though, I noticed that upon selecting to build a Catholic temple in one of my cities it implied it would get the AP hammer bonus. When I went to check if one of my Orthodox cities would also get the bonus, I realised i couldn't build any Orthodox holy buildings at all! Upon loading up the Worldbuilder, I can see the new Christian buildings at the bottom of the list when in Edit City mode, but the icons for the Confucian and Jewish holy buildings further up are quite obviously the icons for the new religions. Therefore, I think there's some conflict between the religions that were removed with the original modcomps and the new ones.

Also, I decided to have a quick go with Ethiopia, and founded Orthodoxy. Firstly, this doesn't count for the Ethiopia UHV - I don't know if you or the original authors intended it to or not, but this means there's no change to Ethiopia's tactics for the UHV (and it's just as hard as before :) )

But I was also under the impression there were Schism and Reformation events that occur when the two new Christian religions are founded. This didn't happen to me in the Ethiopian game. Under what circumstances should they occur? Are there only certain civs that they trigger for?

Thanks for your work on this - I think there's a bit more to though unfortunately :)

Sweet! I have downloaded and had a play around - unfortunately I think we have a few bugs to be worked out....

Most importantly, there are issues with temples and the like. I quickly loaded up a Turkish start and the AP was recently built in a Orthodox city - the blue notice appeared, but instead of "... the Orthodox faithful under one banner" (or whatever it say), there was a placeholder name instead of Orthodox (like the mercenaries used to display in the previous patch).

More seriously though, I noticed that upon selecting to build a Catholic temple in one of my cities it implied it would get the AP hammer bonus. When I went to check if one of my Orthodox cities would also get the bonus, I realised i couldn't build any Orthodox holy buildings at all! Upon loading up the Worldbuilder, I can see the new Christian buildings at the bottom of the list when in Edit City mode, but the icons for the Confucian and Jewish holy buildings further up are quite obviously the icons for the new religions. Therefore, I think there's some conflict between the religions that were removed with the original modcomps and the new ones.

Also, I decided to have a quick go with Ethiopia, and founded Orthodoxy. Firstly, this doesn't count for the Ethiopia UHV - I don't know if you or the original authors intended it to or not, but this means there's no change to Ethiopia's tactics for the UHV (and it's just as hard as before :) )

But I was also under the impression there were Schism and Reformation events that occur when the two new Christian religions are founded. This didn't happen to me in the Ethiopian game. Under what circumstances should they occur? Are there only certain civs that they trigger for?

Thanks for your work on this - I think there's a bit more to though unfortunately :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'm having a look now. The AP thing shouldn't be too hard to fix, neither should the Ethiopia bug. Buildings...I'm not so sure about. I think I know what's up. The Schism and Reformation events *should* work...I'll PM Panopticon and Matt, because I'm not too experienced with Python.

Hm, really surreal bug for the buildings. They're buildable if I kove them up the XML, but the buildings under them are unbuildable. Also, on all unbuildable buildings, there's a "Establishes Permanent Contact With This Civ" bullet point when you hover over the icon in WB. I'm guessing this is a malfunctioning of something that Rhye put in place to stop people building Plague. Anyone got any ideas?

add the xml code for the buildings before the ambasade code. I think there is a <---Rhye---> symbol that marks this. Maybe you will need to changes the sequence in the const.py code too.

i'd like to see greek (greek helmet), roman (a planet), norse (viking helmet) and egyptian (pyramid and eye of ra) polytheism :)

i've had no PMs, but do if there's trouble.

also which python code are you using? when i released my mod i changed the code for the reformation so that instead of the religion being founded by a python call and subsequent events taking place, the python call is called by the religion being present and a tech being researched for each team.

a result of this is that all civs undergo reformations/schisms at different times rather than having one which sweeps over everything in the same turn...

i'd like to see greek (greek helmet), roman (a planet), norse (viking helmet) and egyptian (pyramid and eye of ra) polytheism :)

i've had no PMs, but do if there's trouble.

also which python code are you using? when i released my mod i changed the code for the reformation so that instead of the religion being founded by a python call and subsequent events taking place, the python call is called by the religion being present and a tech being researched for each team.

a result of this is that all civs undergo reformations/schisms at different times rather than having one which sweeps over everything in the same turn...

I used your python, and I didn't PM you because I've been a bit busy with exams lately. I'd appreciate you looking over my code if you're not too busy.

As for all those religions, we'll have to wait and see until I get this version working :p

Same here.

I'd like Zoroastrianism, but not so many Polytheisms. Especially since Greek and Roman are essentially the same. And similar to the mesopotamian one (used by Carthaginians too). So I would eventually just add a religion called Polytheism.

Top Bottom