More technologies beyond U1, U2 and U3?

Blasph23

Terraformation Junkie
I've been messing around with the rules.txt and the tech section.
I added something like this:

Future Technology, 1, 0, FP, Rec, 3, 3 ; ...
User Def Tech A, 3, 0, no, no, 0, 0 ; U1
User Def Tech B, 3, 0, no, no, 0, 0 ; U2
User Def Tech C, 3, 0, no, no, 0, 0 ; U3
0, 3, 0, FP, U3, 0, 0 ; U4
1, 3, 0, FP, U3, 0, 0 ; U5
2, 3, 0, FP, U3, 0, 0 ; U6
3, 3, 0, FP, U3, 0, 0 ; U7
4, 3, 0, FP, U3, 0, 0 ; U8
5, 3, 0, FP, U3, 0, 0 ; U9
6, 3, 0, FP, U3, 0, 0 ; U10

Anything beyond U10 is not recognized by the game and even with right prerequisites, it is not displayed on the list of techs (cheat Ctrl+Shift+F6).
However, all techs from U4 to U10 can only have preqs from the original set - I can't use U7 and U8 as preqs for U9, the game will crash on reload/startup.

My question is this: Is there some way to make the game recognize those extra 7 technologies as full fledged ones (make it possible to use them as preqs for other techs)?

Or am I left only with the option to set their preqs from original set all the way up to User Def Tech C (U3)?

Has anybody experimented with this before?

The letter codes are hard-coded; you can't change them. Semi-colons mark comments, so anything that follows is not read by the game. Changing X1-X7 to U4-U10 in this fashion doesn't actually do anything. Those are there purely as guides for the designer. On the other hand, if you start changing the prerequisite values to illegal codes, you will crash the game. The codes also case-sensitive.

The maximum technologies the game can handle is 100 (ie, up to tech X7). This is also hard-coded. The only way to change that would be to reverse engineer the game. It would require a new saved game file format.

That explains a lot, thanks.

Top Bottom