1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

More translations?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Apr 29, 2009.

1. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Would there be anyone interested translating RoM gametexts to some other languages than English? I would like to add translations for most used languages but I just don't trust automatic translation programs so I would need some help with it. Basically one would have to go through all the files in 'Rise of Mankind\Assets\XML\Text' -folder and add missing language translations. Note that this would be long and boring task. :rolleyes: If anyone is willing to take the task, you can post the updated gametext files here (zip them) and I can then merge them to the main mod.

2. jooyo

jooyo Warlord

I have already translated most of English text to Polish language. :) Current stage is about 80%. Mostly missing pedia and strategies entries.
    I can post files here but there is one difficult. Polish texts using French tags in gametext files ;)

3. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

BtS actually supports lot more languages than the tag choices seen in the text files. For example someone made full Finnish translation for BtS and it doesn't overwrite any other language defines.

4. jooyo

jooyo Warlord

Yes I know that but in Poland we have two different versions of translation for Civ4 - unnoficial (made by fans and using French Tag) and official (made by civs distributor and using Polish Tag). From begining I have make translation for unnoficial translation which I think is much better ;) So if you want I can send you my translation.

5. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I think I'll reserve French tags for French translation - some objects already have french texts.

6. jooyo

jooyo Warlord

Ok I expected that ;)

7. Flay

Flay Prince

I can help for the french one.

8. jooyo

jooyo Warlord

@Zappara
    Ok I can make translation for Polish (in <Polish> tags). For which version of RoM you want it? 2.63woclite; 2.7test1 or else ;)?

9. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

For v2.7test1. There will be lots of new text entries with the next test build so you'll have to wait for those.

10. jooyo

jooyo Warlord

ok I'll wait for new build. But if you'll complete text files earlier you can send me only that files so I'll make new version much faster. Files for version 2.7test1 are almost completed :)

11. Thorongil

Thorongil Chieftain

I´m quite interested in doing a German translation. I´ll start right over and see if I can add something valuable.

€: Okay, 2 questions first off:
    - Is there any use in doing translations with the present game version (especially: Can you incorporate those in 2.7 or should I wait until 2.7 alpha is ready to start?)

- I don´t have Civ4-modding experience, so the most basic question: Am I right to assume that everything that is tagged with <German>...</German> has to be translated?

12. sau

sau Chieftain

i'm interested to translate it to catalan

13. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I can merge any translations with Winmerge program so if you make translations f.ex. v2.62, I can merge those to v2.7. The next v2.7 test version is still few weeks in the works and it will add quite a lot new text elements (new techs etc.).

And to your 2nd question, yes, everything with those <German>...</German> tags need translations if it's in english or it's empty. Some mod components such as BUG and RevDCM probably have already all translations.. (I've updated the text elements whenever I've seen updates to them in the mods I've merged to RoM).

14. Thorongil

Thorongil Chieftain

Another basic question concerning translating: Can i use german-specific mutations ("ä, ö, ü, ß") normally or do I have to replace them by some html-Tags?

And another one: There´s no problem in making the translations in MS-Word, as long as I still save the files as XML, is it?

&#8364;: One more question: Is there any way to test my translations, i.e. is there any way to launch the game in German and see if I´m doing okay?

15. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I think you can use all german-specific mutations :lol: You can check from regular civ 4's and BtS text xml files what they've used there and how to make some bit more complex text elements.

To test them you'll have to change the language in-game to German. Civilopedia can be accessed from game's main menu so you don't need to generate map each time when you test some texts.

I'm not sure about MS-Word but at least Notepad works. Notepad++ is even better, I use it to when modifying RoM.

16. darkecl

darkecl Chieftain

Zappara i have a question.

where is the xml from interface mod ?, or is only pics ?

17. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Interface entries are all loaded from BtS, Warlords and Civ 4's default xml files, those are not included in RoM. Except some that have been changed for RoM use, those are in RoM objects text xml file.

Any progress with those translations?

18. NeverMind

NeverMind Proud to be Russian

Hi, zappara! :)

At Civfanatics.ru we are going to make a russian translation for ROM. Russian is used as the 6th language tag. But it's impossible to run mod using the the 6th language tag, while it doesn't run even with the 2nd one. So I spent last evening trying to solve this problem. I normalized all main mod texts and filled numerous gaps in non-english tags with english texts. Also I removed some objects tags, which were doubled the main game texts (mostly from Warlords).

Now we can run ROM in any standard civ4-language: French, German, Italian and Spanish. Hopefully, you could use these texts as a base for the next version of ROM.

PS. Made and tested with RoM 2.71.

Attached Files:

19. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Cool, I'll test it out soon and add to the next version. :)

20. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

@NeverMind

Your changes have been now merged to RoM 2.8 so that it will work on those other languages. :)