More translations?

I could help on Simplified Chinese, but somehow I doubt the game will support that

I don't see a reason why the game would not support chinese characters.

Things to make sure:
1. Change the encoding of the XML-file to one that supports chinese (e.g. UTF8 or UTF16). This needs an editor that supports the encoding, and a change of the first line of the file.
1a. alternatively, you can use the html-encoding for each of the chinese characters, but that's probably very tedious
2. Make sure the font that is used contains all the characters.

i don't know any chinese, so i don't know if you need any of the grammar features (gender, plural, etc.)

you can test all this by adding chinese characters to some english string, before trying an actual translation

@NeverMind

Your changes have been now merged to RoM 2.8 so that it will work on those other languages. :)

Great! Thank you! :)

HI,zappara
Some of our chinese players have translated xml/text into chinese in ROM 2.62
1 tech tree
2 units
3 most buildings & wonders
4 Civic Strategy
5 resource and improvement
6 promotion
7 part of the civil pedia
8 terrain
9 traits
10 interface

Hope this can help u and u can help us!

Attachments

• text.rar
    97.3 KB · Views: 111
HI,zappara
Some of our chinese players have translated xml/text into chinese in ROM 2.62
1 tech tree
2 units
3 most buildings & wonders
4 Civic Strategy
5 resource and improvement
6 promotion
7 part of the civil pedia
8 terrain
9 traits
10 interface

Hope this can help u and u can help us!

ugh, I'd take a look, but this computer got fried and I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Chinese on this computer
(is it in RoC or PRC Chinese?)

@lopote

Thanks for those spanish translations. I've been following your thread at apolyton (with the help of google translate). I'll merge your translations to the next RoM version. :)

Cool, so now I got updated entries for spanish, german, new translations for hungary and simplified chinese (though chinese doesn't cover all entries so some must be left in english) and I need to complete also the finnish translation... that's lot of work to do as I got to also update all strategy entries...

Cool, so now I got updated entries for spanish, german, new translations for hungary and simplified chinese (though chinese doesn't cover all entries so some must be left in english) and I need to complete also the finnish translation... that's lot of work to do as I got to also update all strategy entries...

I'm a little bit surprised you don't have Polish translation. I know that there are few guys who are constantly working on it, and as far as I know they keep it all up to date. I'll try to get them here so you can merge it into the RoM.

I have looked over the German translations in 2.81 and found still a lot of them missing, but it´s great if you have new material for 2.90.

I also found that some texts (mostly or all from older mod components you have included) were translated by a translation machine. Those texts are absolutely no help, I simply don´t understand them although they are written in my mother tongue. Would have been better to keep those in English.

I am willing to help out and translate at least these critical texts to German (if they are still in, anyway). Is there a chance to download the current 2.90 xml files from the "assets/text" folder? I wouldn´t want to do duplicate work and start on the 2.81 files...

I would gladly do the Portuguese (European) translation for RoM 2.81.

I have a question though, ALL the files there can be translated or are there some that must remain in English?
While I was lurking in it before translating, I saw some files that have been translated to their proper tags. But there are others that their tags aren't translated and are just the same as the English tag.

Cheers, and happy new year folks. :)

EDIT: From the 93 files present, I successfully added an in-depth translation to 23 of them. So +- 20% done so far.

I have a question though, ALL the files there can be translated or are there some that must remain in English?
While I was lurking in it before translating, I saw some files that have been translated to their proper tags. But there are others that their tags aren't translated and are just the same as the English tag.

EDIT: From the 93 files present, I successfully added an in-depth translation to 23 of them. So +- 20% done so far.

The reasons for having the same text as the English text in another language
  1. the modder did not know how to translate the text
  2. not having the language tag there can cause the game to crash if it is played in that language

Indeed, let's wait for zappara response.

My problem is like this.

In this example you can see that the people didn't translated the text.

In this one you can see that the people translated the English text.

Basically, should I translate the ones that are all English or not?

I'm a little bit surprised you don't have Polish translation. I know that there are few guys who are constantly working on it, and as far as I know they keep it all up to date. I'll try to get them here so you can merge it into the RoM.
I think the polish guys said they had used <French> tag for their language which is why it couldn't be merged as is to RoM.

I am willing to help out and translate at least these critical texts to German (if they are still in, anyway). Is there a chance to download the current 2.90 xml files from the "assets/text" folder? I wouldn´t want to do duplicate work and start on the 2.81 files...
I went through the german files I had and seems those updates were already included in RoM 2.81 (merged from RevDCM or BUG files). So you can use v2.81 files if you want to help with the german translation. :)

Yes, all the files can be translated and English is used in those tags that do not have yet translation (in order to keep the mod working on other languages than English). Portuguese translation can be added too - does BtS work in Portuguese also? If not, then you'd have to translate also all Beyond the Sword / Civ 4 texts to portuguese... That's what the finnish guys did when they translated the game to my native language.

I went through the german files I had and seems those updates were already included in RoM 2.81 (merged from RevDCM or BUG files). So you can use v2.81 files if you want to help with the german translation. :)
Great,
I will see what amount of time I can spare to translate at least the most critical passages.

Of course, any help from "lurking" Germans or from German speakers from other nations would be highly appreciated...

Yes, all the files can be translated and English is used in those tags that do not have yet translation (in order to keep the mod working on other languages than English). Portuguese translation can be added too - does BtS work in Portuguese also? If not, then you'd have to translate also all Beyond the Sword / Civ 4 texts to portuguese... That's what the finnish guys did when they translated the game to my native language.

It seems I will require backup in order to translate this in a decent amount of time. Luckily I have. ;)

I think the polish guys said they had used <French> tag for their language which is why it couldn't be merged as is to RoM.

Yes, I already contacted them, and yes, they did the translation based on <French> tags, but I was informed that they are going to remake it using <Polish> tags so I hope it will be possible in the future to include Polish version in RoM.

Top Bottom