1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

More Windows XP vid problems

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by bobob, Oct 30, 2001.

1. bobob

bobob Chieftain

I set myself to 1024 x 768 @ 32 bit, which is supported fine by my monitor and video card.

When running Civ there would be some initial garbled bits on the screen, then the intro movie would play normally, then the main screen would be unreadable.

It appeared Civ was putting the monitor into some refresh or resolution that wasn't supported.

I too got the program working using Win XP compatibility mode - seems to be fine now.

2. Trash22

Trash22 Chieftain

I am having what sounds to be the exact same problem running Civ3. I am however running under windows2K with a voodoo3 2000 video card. It does appear that its the refresh that doesnt match. I have no idea how to overcome the problem with this O/S however.

If anyone has any suggestions for the Win2K and this problem, it would be much appreciated ;)

3. Trash22

Trash22 Chieftain

After some experimenting, It seems that the monitor is a possible problem spot. I am curently using a default monitor display adapter. If I attmept to change the Hertz settings to 120 Hz, I get the exact same image problems on the desktop that I am experienceing in the game. Im just guessing here, but is it possible that the game is attempting to run in 1024 X 768 with a refresh rate of 120Hz as a default?

Im going to see if I can get my 3d card to also use a lower Hz setting, but im not totally sure i can do this without going to specific drivers for my monitor.

Just a couple thoughts to try anyway.

cheers,

Trash

4. Seanhogberg

Seanhogberg Chieftain

Anytime I try the compatibility program, it gives an error "A Debugger has been detected, unload the debugger and try again" and won't let me run it.

5. BaconLewis

BaconLewis Chieftain

I had the same deal, compatibility mode for 98/ME in WindowsXP fixed me up as well. I was working on getting mighty pissedn until I tried that out. It should definitly be in the documentation though.

-Bacon.

6. fred24

fred24 Chieftain

I got the same problems after migrating from win 98 SE to XP, but now civ 3 works fine with Kompability mode to Win9x/ME. I think it dont depends on Resolution or refresh rate.

Question: Does anybody run CIV3 under XP without any video problems or is it a special problem with certain video cards (I got Geforce 2). All my games, including those, who need really great video ressources run without any problems....

Has anyone heard about official firaxis comments about this problem?;)

7. TedG

TedG Prince

Civ3 has run on my machine from day 1 without any problems. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition and a GeForce3 video card (with latest drivers). I have not had to use any compatability modes or anything special like that. If you're using NVidia cards, make sure you have the newest drivers (version 28.32) from their site. Don't know if that will fix your problems, but it's always a good idea to have the latest drivers anyway.

8. tgs81

tgs81 Chieftain

i have this problem to. win xp and geforce 2. the problem i think is that civ 3 changes the resolution and the refresh rate is not properly set when the resolution is temporarly changed to run civ 3. when i run civ 3 it says ## sync hertz out of range or something on my monitor. then plays the infogames logo and returns to the sync hertz error.

9. TedG

TedG Prince

Try adding the "refresh=" line to your Civ3.ini file and give it a refresh rate that you know both your video card and monitor support. Usually 60Hz-85Hz is OK. (120 Hz was mentioned in a previous post-- that's probably too high for 1024 X 768 unless you have like a really good monitor:D ).

A couple of you mentioned Geforce2 cards--I wonder if there's a problem with Civ3 and Geforce2 cards??? Of course, make sure you have the latest drivers from NVidia's Web site.