Moroccan UA helps others more than you...

SureYouCan

Warlord
The general consensus is that the Moroccan UA only works for each different civilization that you have a trade-route set up with. Each Civ can spam you with trade-routes and get an extra 2 gold on each trade-route though. If you don't have 6 different civs/city states to trade with that means the AI will actually be making more gold off of you than you will be making off of your own UA.

If it's just you and America and you each have 2 trade-routes available then America gets +4 gold and you get 3 gold 1 culture. If it's America, Spain, and you, and you have 4 available trade routes then they are getting 8 gold and you are getting 6 gold 2 culture.

This seems a little off to me that your UA very often will be causing your neighbors to get stronger than you.

The UA is supposed to help you get those trade routes in the first place. By having everyone else trade with you you can make a lot of money in your trading hubs.

The UA is supposed to help you get those trade routes in the first place. By having everyone else trade with you you can make a lot of money in your trading hubs.

Yeh, you're the preferred target for caravans. You also forgot city states.

It's pretty good early-on, but with banking and such eventually, the bonus is kinda meh.

it stops ppl form declaring war on u by giveing them more incentive to trade with u. how is this a bad thing?

Well, if your enemy is a sadist .... they will reduce you to one tiny city and then send all of their caravan to you ... they can still reap the benefit that way.

I call that the "Age of Empires trading strategy" because that's what you do in AoE: leave the enemy's market in middle of the smoldering ruins for trading.

However, in BNW it's a lot less effective since the profit calculations take into account things like luxuries. You'd have to leave a decent city for that to work!

Early game its powerfull you can get massive culture early on. If you are going for a culture victory you can finish asthestic fast

"Massive", for at most 1 culture per trade route per turn? That's good early on, but hardly massive.

Assuming they actually send those 4 trade routes to you I would say your UA is well worth it.

You have to remember that each trade route extra they send to you you will earn even more cash. So if both the US and Spain gets 8 extra gold you get 6 gold and 2 culture, but you also get all the gold from the trade routes as well, if we say you get 10g per route and without your UA they would have send 2 of those 4 routes other places you will earn an extra 20 gold!

This is actually a mistake I made in my last Morocco game - I had only one coastal city as my trading hub, but never opened my borders so the other players couldn't find it to trade with it. Only when I was searching for one last city state I realized why I wasn't getting incoming routes.

The general consensus is that the Moroccan UA only works for each different civilization that you have a trade-route set up with. Each Civ can spam you with trade-routes and get an extra 2 gold on each trade-route though. If you don't have 6 different civs/city states to trade with that means the AI will actually be making more gold off of you than you will be making off of your own UA.

If it's just you and America and you each have 2 trade-routes available then America gets +4 gold and you get 3 gold 1 culture. If it's America, Spain, and you, and you have 4 available trade routes then they are getting 8 gold and you are getting 6 gold 2 culture.

This seems a little off to me that your UA very often will be causing your neighbors to get stronger than you.
The way I understand the mechanic would be that it encourages the player not to build trade routes to other civs in the beginning but to trade internally. The bonus should work as an incentives for the other civs to send trade routes to you instead of another civ. They get more money out of it and you get an extra 3 gpt and 1 cpt for every civ that sends the trade route to you. The player on the other hand would not get much of a benefit by sending trade routes to the other civs. So just set up internal trade routes (haven't played Morocco yet. Would they get the +2 gpt for "internal international trade routes" as well?).

In the beginning trade routes are quite sparse, so having every civ in proximity starting trade routes with you instead of another civ (making your bonus effectively 1-2 trade routes without even having to build caravans/trading ships, 4 civs trading with you would net you 12 gpt and 4 cpt) and enabling you to get the food/hammers from internal trade routes without losing out on money might be quite good.

I assume of course that it does not matter who sends out the trade route as long as you don't have any trade routes with that civ. If you were to have to send the route than this strategy would not be viable.

Top Bottom