1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Morocco discussion

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nunor, May 17, 2013.

1. nunor

nunor Chieftain

Morocco's been confirmed!

Leader: Ahmad al-Mansur

Capital: Marrakesh

Symbol: Green five-pointed star on red background

[Basically, it's the Moroccan flag]

UA: Gateway to Africa

- Receives +3 Gold and +1 Culture for each international trade route with a different civ or city-state. The trade route owners receive +2 Gold for each trade route sent to Morocco.

UU: Berber cavalry

UI: Kasbah

Sources:
    -IGN Preview
    -3djuegos.com preview

2. Andrew1022

Andrew1022 Chieftain

If we get another Expansion or DLC I want Civs like Morocco and Indonesia that never were in any other Civ game. Morocco looks pretty nice.

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

Very interesting!

I wonder what the kasbah and cav does :) (Edit: Cav is 34 strength)

And now I'm going to watch that IGN preview, see if there's more to find :)

4. tranger66

tranger66 Chieftain

Looks like a cool civ, I'm looking forward to the new trade route system

5. Pikachao

Pikachao Chieftain

hey I was right about what the UA was, kind of, mostly just for the wrong civ.

6. Art Grin

Art Grin Chieftain

It's not Kahina and I was right all along!
    Muhahahah! :devil:

7. Veras

Veras Chieftain

That's really great. Although it's funny how they wasted two good opportunities to put female leaders.

8. Art Grin

Art Grin Chieftain

Brace yourself, Pocahontas is coming.:shifty:

9. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

The Kasbah's tip is (from what I can tell): A Kasbah can only be built on a Desert tile. It provides one additional Food Production and Gold. It also provides +50% defense bonus on??? ... Must be built in Moroccan territory,

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Chieftain

Not gameplay related, but I really like the glowing tent on the leaderhead screen.

11. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The Kasbah graphic looks very nice.

12. Syailendra

Syailendra Chieftain

my! this surely a strong civ if they have a dessert start bias (which is most probable) imagine the combo of kasbah and petra.

13. Rick80

Rick80 Chieftain

kasbah and petra together *.*

14. HipNozY

HipNozY Chieftain

And Desert folklore!

15. Arkangelus

Arkangelus Chieftain

Petra has been changed to a supposed trade-based bonus - most likely extra trade routes. Of course, it could still offer a desert bonus AND a trade route one, but it was powerful enough already!

Taking it at its 'least helpful' assumption, that it only works on flat desert (no hills) and that Petra has changed... 1F 1P 1G seems a bit underwhelming, until you look at the bigger picture. Since rivers have lost their extra gold, there will be a lot less in general on the map, meaning an improvement that grants even a single gold will be proportionally much, much more useful in a golden age. If we assume that like every other UI its output will increase later in the game, even a single extra unit means that Moroccan desert will offer the same base output as a trading post on plains. There's also the not insignificant issue of Desert Folklore, already considered one of the most powerful pantheons which will see even more use here.

Unfortunately for me - one of my favourite minor things in game is 'stealing' UIs by taking their former owners lands. My current game is bliss, right next to both the Inca and Netherlands! However, it'll be a tough fight to take over the Kasbahs with the extra fort bonus on top - let alone that their UU receives both a domestic defence bonus AND a desert one to boot!

16. Zet

Zet Chieftain

Oh god, Kasbah plus Petra.

17. Gali

Gali Chieftain

Kasbah could be deadly if allowed in flood plains. It will be weaker than Petra since it does not stack with the natural improvements. Man attacking Morocco late game will be a pain. They obviously have a desert start bias and with all those forts and a cav with Himeji bonus could be nasty. Especially fighting the Berber Cav in a Kasbah, in the desert in Moroccan territory that will be nasty. Between that and their trade route boni will be a very interesting tall alternative to Babylon or Ethiopia.

18. Arkangelus

Arkangelus Chieftain

IGN video contains Kasbahs on Desert Hills. 1:c5food:, 3 :c5production:, 1 :c5gold:, 1 :c5faith: (potentially) and +50%:c5strength: on existing rough terrain sharply brings up its usefulness.

19. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Chieftain

Indeed. Imagine the whole desert being littered with kasbahs and Berber Cav hitting extremely hard due to their bonus. A new civ to fear. While you are stuck in a quagmire of kasbah and shadow Berber Calvary, they are making money at your expense with their UA and laughing in your face. And then they spam more Berber cav:lol:

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Chieftain

My favorite civs to play always seem to be the UI ones, as it makes me look at the map in a different way than I would. Morocco seems like they will be no different.

Morocco and Indonesia very neatly fill some big holes in Civ's cast of characters, so to speak.