Morocco thoughts post-gameplay

s0nny80y

Emperor
Morocco plays more toward a diplo victory due to city states providing the same bonus' a trade route would if they had been connected to other civs. Since the bonus only applies once per connecting civ or city state, other civs will be inclined to link up and remain at peace with Morocco. So if other civs can connect and provide to Morocco their unique trait, then one can prioritize trade routes with CSs instead of opposing civs.

However, the trait bonus' don't provide much money, but I do think the +2 gold for trade route owners is a coded device for the AI to pursue peace over war.

What do you think?

I won a culture victory in my only Morocco game.

I won a culture game with each ideology when I played Morocco. I didn't do diplo because I was tired of it from playing Venice. But, I think you make a good point and its worth keeping in mind.

I like Morocco.

It's easier to DoF as Morocco, for reasons I don't really understand. It's probably to do with the ITRs the AI sends. I note that while Morocco slightly encourages the AI to trade route you, the key piece still seems to be having a city in the range of their ITRs and not having better trade partners. If two civs are at each other's throats, establishing a small out-of-the-way city in reach of both capital's ITRs can be really beneficial for both diplomacy and trade (as any Civ, but Morocco gets a bit of an extra boost).

Morocco's great! I find them to be a formidable cultural force and pretty good diplomatically as well.
While their UA isn't amazing, it's still beneficial, sometimes a little bit and sometimes substantial. The Kasbahs turn entire desert into habitable and prosperous places and having Desert Folklore and Petra only exacerbate their power.

Because Morocco thrives off trade and culture, I often find myself with many friends. So when someone picks a fight with me, they are often denounced heavily. The Kasbahs and later, Berber Cavalry make for a civ that's harder to topple. Me encanta! :D

Morocco was the easiest diplo victory I've had--but I had a nice map setup and got the desert pantheon, which helped considerably.

I have been trying to play a Morocco game, I've gone through 7 restarts now, oh hey Tundra start, yeah that's so helpful with their UB let me tell you. The one start I do get it ends up right next to Alexander that city spams 5 cities in 80 turns his "pointiest stick" is higher than 9 other Civs combined in 100 turns...yeah I didn't stand a chance.

Morocco plays more toward a diplo victory due to city states providing the same bonus' a trade route would if they had been connected to other civs. Since the bonus only applies once per connecting civ or city state, other civs will be inclined to link up and remain at peace with Morocco. So if other civs can connect and provide to Morocco their unique trait, then one can prioritize trade routes with CSs instead of opposing civs.

However, the trait bonus' don't provide much money, but I do think the +2 gold for trade route owners is a coded device for the AI to pursue peace over war.

What do you think?

The short answer is that, as far as the pieces of code that I've seen (extracted by others) indicate the gold for AI trade routes has very little direct effect on AI decisions to go to war, and this fits my anecdotal experience that my games as everyone else are as peaceful as my games as Morocco.

What's less clear is whether the UA promotes peace indirectly by encouraging the AI to trade with you more than with other civs. Since there are several game effects that work in part by giving extra gold to AIs trading with you - markets, caravanseries, harbours, Petra and the Colossus - intuitively this should be the case. The more trade an AI has with you, the more money going to war will cost it, and the more likely it is that its decision to go to war will be tempered by economic considerations.

This is unfortunately very difficult to evaluate in practice because trade routes differ so much in their return, and in whether or not another civ can even access them. That +2 gold will only help if the available Moroccan cities would give a good return to begin with.

Bottom line seems to be that it's very difficult to evaluate exactly what the +2 gold element of the Moroccan UA does, however as I have no difficulty remaining fully peaceful on difficulties up to Immortal until the effects of ideology kick in, I haven't noticed it having any particular effect.

I've found that come the industrial age, those playing as Morocco can use the kasbahs to their advatnage and defend their nation with a smaller military force than one might normally do so. This can allow a player to industrial their cities and focus on building more infrastructure. A handful of Berber Cavalry can repel many vicious attacks into one's territory, especially in the dryer regions. Makes going for a culture victory with them even better.

I have been trying to play a Morocco game, I've gone through 7 restarts now, oh hey Tundra start, yeah that's so helpful with their UB let me tell you. The one start I do get it ends up right next to Alexander that city spams 5 cities in 80 turns his "pointiest stick" is higher than 9 other Civs combined in 100 turns...yeah I didn't stand a chance.

You don't have start bias disabled do you?

I played Morocco and went for a cultural victory on quick speed. Managed it in just 173 turns with a great start location. Petra + kasbahs make the capital city such a powerhouse that I didn't really pay much attention to trade routes. After playing almost all the new civs in BNW, Morocco is definitely one of my favourites.

You don't have start bias disabled do you?

Unfortunately, this seems to be my problem as well. I had 5 or 6 restarts as Morocco because I was placed in forests or tundra. I also wondered if I had the Disable Start Bias checked, but it wasn't. Once I had a desert start though I only had desert in my side of the continent so...:)

Pretty sure their start bias is desert, because with start bias on, I am almost always put in one.
Not that I mind, my latest game had a nice flood plain, plenty of hills and about 25% of the world's oil supply. :)

Top Bottom