1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Morocco

Discussion in 'Leader Balance' started by Funak, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ashendashin

ashendashin King

Why'd you open your borders to raiders?

2. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Hahaha.

Yes.

G

vyyt and balinte like this.
  3. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

Thanks for the replies.

4. black213

black213 Emperor

Is this still the case for Morocco's trade plundering?

5. Favorius

Favorius I am not a Chief!

I have just finished a game with morocco on 8-19 version. I find trade route and kasbah bonuses create a very strong capital. I became runaway at renaissance and "wonderrolled" into a culture victory in information era.

6. avl8

avl8 Prince

Do Morocco get any diplomacy penalties for plundering trade routes of other major civs? Will AI get angry at me playing Morocco' raiders?)

7. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

Yes. AI will get very annoyed. Use that to your benefit or just be careful. Remember that IRL the US, France and others ganged up the beat the Barbary pirates into submission. Learn from their mistakes.

8. void_genesis

void_genesis Prince

I have been playing Morocco a bit lately and finding their starting location on the communitas map is often out on some tiny peninsula sticking off the continent (might just be bad luck but it has happened multiple times recently). Maybe good for defending easily but terrible for their UA since all my land trade routes need to go through a single neighbour, who has a high probability of DOWing and pillaging trade routes. Sea routes are an option of course, but the lack of space is annoying. Should I just be shifting to authority and crushing a few skulls? Are casbahs a good improvement to use on puppets?

9. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Prince

New to the VP mod and just starting to explore it with Morocco. Wow, quite an overhaul, hoping to be fun but I immediately have a question about Morocco.

Does plundering foreign trade routes have diplomatic effect ?

Nevermind, just noticed 2 posts above the answer has been provided, how silly​

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  10. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Prince

Just FYI, Tectonic mapscript works well with VP. The maps are bigger (if you like huge maps) and has an interesting feature called plate tectonics (ramming speed) which produces unique mountain ranges/obstacles. The mapscript also handles well the start bias of the Civs. Not consistently but most of the time (just got placed at tundra with Morocco :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  11. void_genesis

void_genesis Prince

Ill give tectonic a go. I was curious to try Pangaea but vanilla map script feels so wrong after getting used to communitas. One other curious thing I have noticed with Morocco- when you are at war with someone it is impossible to pillage their trade routes. Is that intended or a bug due to messing with their trade route pillaging code?

12. lunker

lunker Warlord

Can you still get away with plundering trade routes with no penalty if AI has no vision on them?

13. neo_arcadia

neo_arcadia Warlord

As far as I know, you will always receive the diplomatic penalty regardless.

14. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Prince

I may be wrong since I am new to VP but I have the feeling that the start bias has been eliminated for good. For example, Morocco can build their Kasbah on any kind of tile. In the Vanilla Kasbah can be build only on desert tiles.

If that is true for all Civs then this is really awesome news because I hate the bias implementation in vanilla. Not only you have to re-roll and re-roll until you are finally placed at good location in order to reap their terrain benefits, but even if you are placed at such, then usually the AI is not and looses their unique bonuses. Which creates imbalances and spoiled the games.

15. Chandler

Chandler Warlord

As far as I know, start bias still exists. In fact, there is a recent thread in the General Balance subforum about this. Some of them have changed, some not. However, every civ is supposed to be less terrain dependant now, which is why you can now build Morocco's Kasbahs anywhere, as long as its a tile next to a city (not really sure if the city has to be yours, or if it can be built in a tile next to another civ's city, that you may have acquired through a Citadel).

16. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

You are able to build a Kasbah in this situation.

17. neo_arcadia

neo_arcadia Warlord

Morocco still benefits from desert tile though. Berber cavalry have unique promotion for combat strength boost in desert tile. Desert tile bias also motivates you to build Petra, an important wonder for Morocco.

18. Galbias

Galbias Prince

I definitely prefer the lower dependence on terrain compared to Vanilla. Deserts are inconsistent enough that anything reliant on them like the Kasbah in Vanilla has the potential to be pretty weak.

Though speaking of terrain, one thing I didn't realize until I started playing them in my current game is that Kasbahs can be built on top of Forest/Jungle/Marsh and don't remove them, which can lead to some pretty nice extra yields from the features themselves and other things that boost them like Workshop. Berber Cavalry are also nice, feels a bit like the Mongol UA where you can just move towards an enemy, attack, then move back and ignore forests/hills, except the Mongol Skirmisher line gets screwed hard by Rivers whereas BC doesn't.

19. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Prince

And the Kasbah also connects resources. Nice.

Boosts nearby ocean and fish tiles. Not too small a thing. When possible I would settle a coast city in such a way as to try to maximize this...for example a kasbah on a one-hex peninsula works awesome.

But their biggest strength is the culture boost. I start to think that Morocco is strong culture victory candidate now in VP.

20. Rekk

Rekk Emperor

I think the coastal boost is a consolation prize. You definitely want to minimize the amount of ocean next to the city, since Kasbah tiles are way better than boosted coastal tiles.