Most Aggravating Situation

Notadolfhitler

Chieftain
In civ4 what was the most aggravating situation you have ever been in?

I had one today which was why I started this thread.
Me vs. Frederick.
I attacked Freddy earlier in the game because he was an easy target and i took 5 of his cities the first round. Then redeclared and took all except one well by his last 2 cities (dusseldorf brennen) he vassaled to GENGHIS KHAN and so he was bashing me. Also, to make things worse on his last two cities he got feudalism so now it was more annoying to attack him. THAT was not the aggravating part though. As i was attack brennen i had a 90% odds with my swordsman guess what i failed D:, then I try again this time 92% and fail again then i got all angry and tried it again and failed again and had to wait another turn to attack. Well he refortifies and khan takes out some of my army so then i had to make ANOTHER army and send it to brennen where it took me 3 more waves to finally eliminate freddy. OH and khan took out yakutsk and yekercantspell but its not like i care they didnt really do anything except suck my money.

Like i said commence the angry storytelling!

When I'm a few turns from capturing a great city from an AI and the AI goes and capitulates to a buddy war ally of mine.

Also when my CRIII Treb lost to a catapult defending in a city (99.8% odds).

1. When my carefully specialized wall street city falls to a backstab massive naval assault from a pleased AI on the other side of the map. offcource i take the city back the next turn but the 2 national wonders are gone....

2. When the library in my capital explodes 1 turn after its build.

3. Ai city placement can seriously anger me. when I for instance have 4 kickass cities planned in good sites, some AI builds a (crappy) city in the middle of it, totally on the wrong spot, with no long term benefits.

I'm Ragnar, trying to finish Charlemagne by taking his capital Aachen. On a hill. With walls. Fifteen or twenty longbowmen defending it.

I'm currently researching combustion while my enemy is research robotics...

Never again will I use Hemispheres maps. Me and my sister start a game with about 7 A.I.s. She hosted and chose hemispheres. I get opponents Justinian and Sury, she gets Mao, Boudica and on of the Indians. I take a gamble and rush Justinian and lose. So I get pulled intto an annoying war and make peace after I take Adrianople. I converted Sury to my Christianity, but then he went to my Judaism. I didn't convert so we had three religions on one continent. After everyone hates everyone, Sury invades me and I somehow just lose. Maybe the RNG screwd me over, but he just steamrolled me. First a border city, then my capital, then a nice barbarian city. I took my capital back, but its like the real Byzantines must have felt after retaking Constantinople from the Latin Empire. It was pretty much over.......

I quit after losing the barb city becuase my sister got it only slightly better. She got boxed by Mao, but no doubt one of those nuts would have killed her eventually. Never again will I use Hemispheres....

When Iron and Horses are twenty tiles away. In OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS!!!!!! :mad:

Almost any situation that involves the Apostolic Palace.

The default AP situations are:
- I don't control the AP. Regardless of who does control the AP, they insist on my giving captured cities back to another member, OR
- I do control the AP, but no useful resolutions ever come up as an option.

After what happened to me today, I have to say that the most frustrating thing is the AI getting a cheesy AP victory. I had just finished off Isabella in the 18th century and had the game well in hand as my territory was huge and my tech rate was going through the roof. I was deciding between space and domination when Louis called for an election for a diplomatic victory and won it handily. Game over. And I let him do it by wiping out the Theocracy-running lone Buddhist instead of vassalizing her. He had built the AP in Judaism long ago but hadn't done much with it, so I had forgotten about it, and no one else had very many Jewish cities so we couldn't stop him.

What happened to not being able to vote yourself in? The AI is included in that rule, right? There must have been at least 1 other civ that voted for him to give him the boost to win.

Anytime Isabella exists.

She can be halfway around the world and will find a reason to declare war.

I mean, seriously, are there no peaceful rulers of Spain so I don't need to come face to face with the Religious Death Queen?

What happened to not being able to vote yourself in? The AI is included in that rule, right? There must have been at least 1 other civ that voted for him to give him the boost to win.

There was. Shaka was his good buddy and voted for him, and maybe one other civ, but nobody had near the number of votes as Louis.

I'm 50 turns away from a cultural victory when Cyrus declares war at cautious. It catches me off guard, though the power graph should have served as a warning. Two of my culture cities are right next to his border, so I send over a couple of knights-turned-cavalry from my trusty production cities. It's a really messy defensive war, one that I should have been better prepared for, but eventually a "great mediator" steps in to save the day. Overall, no big deal.

During peacetime I stop the culturefest just long enough to research industrialism, and I start spamming tanks and marines. I even gift Cyrus some late game techs, since there's no way he or anyone can get to space in 30 or so turns. Cyrus is now pleased with me, and his power has suffered greatly from the war. So I figure I'm prepared for anything that might come my way, and I continue on my cruise to cultural victory.

20 turns away from said victory, Cyrus once again DoWs, along with Saladin, Julius, and Alexander, all of whom are vassals of Qin, my main rival. Qin's been big on espionage the whole game, and he must have figured out where I wanted to take this game. So now I'm at war with 5 civs, 4 of whom border me and 3 of whom were at pleased until Qin decided to DoW. :run:

I'm playing with vassals off from now on.

Bronze mine on plains, thunderstorms and tornadoes... your going to spend more time rebuilding the mine than working it. Had one once in my capitals bfc when going for a cultural victory and lost out to building 5 wonders by 1-2 turns, would have had them all if the mine hadn't kept getting destroyed :mad:.

20 turns away from said victory, Cyrus once again DoWs, along with Saladin, Julius, and Alexander, all of whom are vassals of Qin

And if an AI is about to win, you usually sit back/do nothing?

Top Bottom