Most Bizarre Outfits in History

Optical

The Fall of the Eleventh
Just because of the day, age and location of when he chose to wear this.

Kyriakos, I think it looks normal enough except the pompoms on the shoes bring it to ridiculous level in my opinion. Other than that, OK.

Bombshoo, is that Halie Selassie?

Mongol women had some really bizarre headgear.

Didn't the Austrians or Turks have one with an enormous metal dick? I saw it on a diocu about the siege of Vienna

NovaKart it's Jean Bokassa, or Bokassa I Emperor of Central Africa.
Didn't that collapse to become the Central African Republic that is best known (by me) for having a Dept. of State warning not to go there and being unable to find any ethnic foods for my 6th Grade Africa project?

Didn't that collapse to become the Central African Republic that is best known (by me) for having a Dept. of State warning not to go there and being unable to find any ethnic foods for my 6th Grade Africa project?

It was the Central African Republic before his little ceremony there as well. Bokassa's logic was that by declaring himself "Emperor" and renaming the country "Central African Empire", it would make the country stand out. In truth, it was because he was insane and an ego maniac. His coronation ceremony was the equivalent of something like 20% of the country's annual income. He ended up being overthrown by the French in the late 70s while he was off visiting his buddy Gaddafi in Libya. The republic was restored pretty much right after.

Here's a video of the coronation. It's pretty weird seeing these people dressed in 19th century European style clothes, but standing next to modernish looking soldiers equipped with AK-47s.

Link to video.

Not fair.

Is he hiding a bodyguard in there or something?
My vote: The members of the Aztec Jaguar warrior society/fraternity.

Im sorry, but the most silly outfit in the world ever, was the shellsuit and everyone knows it.

Does anyone have any pictures of the uniform that Nixon tried to institute for the White House Guards? I can't find any pictures of anyone actually in the uniform, but it's pretty odd for being American.

Oh and the Eldridge Cleaver pants are another great but bizarre fashion. Even though there is no actual nudity involved, I am not sure I can get away with posting an image without an infraction. If you're curious look it up yourself.

That doesn't look too bad. Granted it's silly but it's not the worst ceremonial garb I've seen.

That doesn't look too bad. Granted it's silly but it's not the worst ceremonial garb I've seen.

It isn't so bad on it's own, granted I remembered it being a lot worse. I think it looks a lot dumber when President Nixon is walking along with an entourage of those guys around him. I think the pure idea of trying to introduce a ceremonial garb of that style to the White House guards in the 1970s is what was considered so stupid and why he received a good deal of criticism over it. It also added a whole new meaning to the term "Imperial Presidency".

True it would draw a lot of criticism. What they wear now is fairly nice, a fairly understated Napoleonic era uniform of Navy with Scarlet piping and peaked cap IIRC, fairly classy.

Oh and I looked up the PDF (Irish armed forces) and was disappointed by the lack of exocitism in the uniforms. Though oral traditions do state that ancient Irish warriors went into battle nekkid, soldiers to attention, heh, heh, heh.

oral traditions
Weren't the Irish friendly with the French?
[/smutty joke]

Though oral traditions do state that ancient Irish warriors went into battle nekkid, soldiers to attention, heh, heh, heh.
Roman sources for the Boii and Insubres of northern Italy (later, Bohemia), two "Celtic" tribes, refer to drugged-up nude warriors called Gaesatae. Standard berserker type story. I dunno if there was a similar Goidelic tradition, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Top Bottom