1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Desirable Wonders?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by salty mud, Nov 20, 2011.

1. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Some Wonders give great bonuses, while others aren't really worth even looking at. For example, I find Stonehenge for a non-creative leader an absolute must; it's very difficult to get border expansion without monuments until you manage to get a religion, which could be a good while. Some of the Wonder bonuses almost seem like penalties - Hanging Gardens for instance more often than not sends cities into spiralling starvation because there isn't enough food support. And I don't even need to explain Cristo Redentor for spiritual leaders.

So what are the best to aim for?

2. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Best wonders :
    SH
    Hanging Gardens
    Mausoleum of Mausollos
    TGL and TGL
    Colossus
    Taj Mahal
    Notre Dame

3. Kjotleik

Kjotleik Kjotleik

If I have a large empire: Taj Mahal

Else whatever wonder(s) my closest neighbour has constructed in his/her capital...they will become mine soon...:trouble:

But my favourite to build is The Apostolic Palace! :eekdance: Not because I want it more than other wonders, but I certainly don't want a rival religious group to get hold of it! That just is too annoying...:nono:

I don't like Stonehenge, by the way! Once it obsoletes all the Monuments magically disappears from my cities. It is better to build each Monument manually. The culture does not obsolete, if I remember correctly.

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway:)

4. strijder20

Perhaps it does, but by the time you obsolete SH you probably already have another source of culture. You will also be saving a moderate amount of hammers by building it, which could be converted in.. culture.

5. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Actually, the culture keeps going up as time passes, so the monuments will actually eclipse the later culture buildings. It is also not that hard to go through the files to prevent wonders from going obsolete. This is actually the first thing I do when I start modifying the game (all my wonders have not obsoleted since Civ2 :p ).

6. strijder20

No, it doubles after 1000 years, which means the monument is only superior to the undoubled temples.

7. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

It is superior to undoubled temples before temples would generally even be buildable. That is a lot of extra culture for the vital 2-3 border pops in the beginning of the game.

8. strijder20

Uhm, no.
    If you haven't got temples or theatres or libraries available before your second border pop is needed, then you are messing up. A lot.

9. DAC

DAC Chieftain

A wonder that always gets overlooked IMO is The Great Wall.

1. I HATE BARBARIANS - But I won't turn them off as that's dull. But lets face it, the buggers always ignore the AI and head strait for your borders, and they love doing it when you have no access to copper, Iron or Horses. So keeping them away from my lands helps me expand much quicker, as mines, farms and roads aren't constantly being pillaged while I hide in my 2-4 cities.

2. Great Generals - Since moving up to from Noble to Prince, I've gotten attacked alot more (I'm either Totaler Krieg or Sitz Krieg with no in between lol) so killing one or even two stacks of Doom in my own territories has netted me two or three Great Generals. I can then either settle these in my military city for a permanent experience bonus or use them, once my war economy has mobilized, to give experience to my own Stack of Doom and drive into the enemies heartlands "Crush my enemies -- See them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that the Great Wall is a must have for me lol.

10. strijder20

DAC, I once got 5 promotion cavalries right out of the gates by settling GG's with the GW. And I wasn't even imperialistic.
    Shaka vassaled Monty and he kept attacking me, sending huge noob SoD's to me. I just flank-killed his siege with combat 4 knights and then used CG3 longbows in a castle city to kill the rest. It's great.

11. nfw

nfw King

Not sure how that is a penalty, even if the city starve back down you aren't worse off. And you can always whip away the population.

It still removes the cooldown on civic switching.

My favorites are the aesthetics trio, the Great Wall, Taj and the Pyramid.

12. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

Best wonders? Easy. The 10 HA/Keshik wonder and the 30 cavalry/cuirassier wonder.

13. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

So build a monument, it's only 30 :hammers:.

As an alternate approach, you might consider founding cities around a culture hub, typically as part of a wonder spam approach. Stonehenge produces 8 culture for its city, helping push its borders. Any nearby cities you found will already have tiles to work even without their own source of culture.

14. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

I wasn't referring to your first city, where the palace supplies the culture.

15. strijder20

I know, but usually one border pop is enough in every city.

16. King Kalmah

King Kalmah Magyar Madness

I think the AP for hammers and the added encouragement to build monastaries is one of the best,

The COL is also perfect for both FIN and non-FIN.Add Great Lighthouse for added benefits.

The Mids are great,but they make things to easy some times and can feel like a cheat....

but many of the pros know this by heart...however use the Hanging Gardens/Slavery and you can get a few extra hammers for free.A new library or Market a few turns sooner?!

You gotta love that strategy!

17. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Aggressive REX-ing to cut off land from the AI, depending on the land and city spread set up, can require the second.

18. King Pluto

King Pluto Emperor

The ones that I always try if I have a shot are GLH, Great Library, Oracle and Taj, and I think those are pretty obvious why. If I have Stone, I usually make at least a minor effort at either Pyramids or Stonehenge. Beyond that, most are situational or just rare builds for me, like Colossus, GW, AP, 3GD, etc.

19. fibonacci112358

fibonacci112358 Chieftain

WOW! I cannot believe nobody has said anything yet about Statue of Liberty! (Do you all prefer archipalego maps?)

I think you may be overlooking the late-game power of parthenon, as well.

But yes, I agree with most of what has been said; Hanging Gardens, Notre Dame are pretty awesome.

20. strijder20

SoL : too late to matter, and I usually do not tech Democracy, until I have large amount of cottages in my land.
    Late-game power of Parthenon? You mean +20 culture? As the Parthenon obsoletes at Scientific Method.