1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Desirable Wonders?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by salty mud, Nov 20, 2011.

1. gorf37

gorf37 Warlord

Wonders that I'll take a shot at pretty much whenever it works for my game:

Oracle, Great Lib, MoM, Taj

Wonders that I situationally take advantage of by building in some games:

"Hedge";), Mids, Parthenon, Great Lighthouse, Hanging Gardens, AP

Everything else is failgold fodder, except in very specific circumstances, or just showboating in an already-won game (eg. Pentagon for tanks war).

2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

After reading quite a few strat threads, and not willing to once again mention the herp derp AP as the top one, I think any wonder if you have the appropriate resource is very desirable simply for the awesome fail gold. If you're sure you have a tech monopoly, you might even try building it more than once.

Still, I think the Great Lighthouse and Great Library are ones that have helped me the most, and Angkor Wat is actually pretty cool.

The GLH gives you Great merchant points, which is just amazing for its point in the game. Early GMs are just amazing since you're expanding and are struggling for cash. The Great Library is good for helping you push towards Lib as you bulb Education and Philosophy.

3. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

Another advantage of an early Great Merchant is that he can bulb Metal Casting. This can be useful since if you shoot for the Great Lighthouse, you're likely to miss out on the Oracle. If you can still build the Oracle after bulbing Metal Casting, then you can use it to get Machinery.

This is the only situation when I'll bulb with a Great Merchant. Since you've got a great chance at the Colossus, you don't even lost the money.

4. G-Max

G-Max Deity

If someone beats me to Stonehenge, I start over. Oracle is my second favorite. They're just so cheap!

I'm also a big fan of Ironworks.

5. Stephanovitch3

Stephanovitch3 Celtic Diety of Wales

Stonehenge is always the first thing I build in my 2nd city. I try for the Oracle but never normally get it. The Great Library and Colossus of Rhodes and the Great Lighthouse are always on my priority list ;)