Most digusting fruit ever?

obliterate

Warrior Monk
I bought this exotic looking fruit from the store today. I was all excited wondering what it was going to taste like. The store claimed it was called 'mangosteen'.
I get home and cut it open. I noticed the skin which was about a cm thick was very much like thick cardboard and obviously inedible. Inside the cardboard was a whitish flesh with grey inside that. It is very hard to describe but siffice it to say it looked a lot like a fetus. Of which I have have second opinions.
Needless to say it tasted discusting. The outside of it is darkish purple. Does anyone know what its actual name is? Or if its even edible? Cause I felt very sick after eating it.

And I think its from Thailand.

Kumquats are pretty nasty, albeit amusing.

Mangosteen?

Mangosteens are from Thailand, yeah. It tastes pretty good, kinda like banana. It's supposed to cool you down, such as after eating durian (another local delicacy). You know, durian, being the King of Fruits, makes you feel hot inside, and mangosteen, the Queen of Fruits, cools you.

They definitely taste great here, though I'm suspecting that the ones exported may be worse than the ones at home, or maybe they're grown overseas and thus, sucks.

P.S. Don't let the purple thick skin scare you. It scared me, though.

I was quite amused to wander around in south-east asia, and see these pictures in many places:

Its a durian. Apparently, the "no durian" signs are required because these things smell like rotting meat. Never actually tried them myself.

I don't find the durian or mangosteen disgusting cos I grew up eating them.. Durian season was something many people waited for up till recently. Now durian plantations have managed to grew them all year round.

But for those who want to try it, you will either like the taste or hate it.

It's not allowed into hotels, trains, buses, most cabs don't allow it, cos the smell can linger for quite a bit of time. Those who can't take the smell feel like throwing up after getting a whiff off it. Had a friend who left one in his car for a couple of days before he remembered it.. and the car smelled for about a week after that..

Custard apple is awful. But I must give an honourable mention to tomatoes. It's not the flavour. The texture makes me grimace and shudder.

IIRC mangosteens are quite ok. They are grown in my home country as well.

OTOH, I absolutely can't stand durians... :stink:

Top Bottom