most disheartening moments in games?

When playing a Small Continents, with no iron on your small continent. Or on the next one. Or on the next one. Oh, Russia has tons of it.

1. Ethiopia. that guy. His religious zeal is redicilous, and hardly ever seems to listen to reason. Always gotta kill 'em, causing everyone else to hate you because he's often friends with everyone, as he's not an avid ICSer.

2. Egypt. this guy too. I like wonders, he likes them 20% more.

Just as that one guy said, envy. I am sure many where also jealous at the Roman Empire back in the day, but they couldn't do a thing about it. :D

> Where
> Jealous at

American public schooling. I guess having to practise 'shooting drills' instead of grammar class is cutting into your education?

MURICAH.

Moderator Action: Please do not troll other posters.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: Modified your post to remove bad language in the quote. You are responsible for everything in your post, including what you quote from others. Please help us maintain our PG13 standard for language on the site. Thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Just as that one guy said, envy. I am sure many where also jealous at the Roman Empire back in the day, but they couldn't do a thing about it. :D

And that's why people bash America so much. Not envy (there really isn't much to be envious about, in all honestly America is one of the last first world countries I'd choose to live in), but a reaction to that sort of attitude.

As for most disheartening moments in the game, one I haven't seen (but might have missed) is when a bunch of high tourism AIs each choose the same ideology that you didn't pick. Cool. I didn't need happiness anyway.

Moderator Action: Modified your post to remove bad language in the quote. You are responsible for everything in your post, including what you quote from others. Please help us maintain our PG13 standard for language on the site. Thanks.

1. Warmonger neighbors. It's not that I hate war, it's just that when I set up my trade routes, they declare war and I lose them.

2. Getting a (civ) neighbor on the same island in an Archipelago map. CS's are fine, most of the time. When I play Archipelago, I prefer being isolated.

Being way ahead in science going Patronage. Eagerly acquiring Steam Power to get those oh so useful factories! Finding that not a scrap of coal exists in your realm and that no CS in the entire world has it either...

...I mean seriously. There are 20 of them an none has coal. Patronage has never been so worthless

...oh! I guess I'll trade with the other civs then! Oh...that's right...they're way behind in science...never mind.

...Oh! I guess I'll go to war...wait...I'm on a continent by myself...and I'm Venice...

this must be what it feels like to be screwed. :cry:

When my spy gets killed while trying to steal the tech for more than 20 turns of waiting time.

Getting beaten to Great Library AND The Pyramids on Warlord :|

Especially since you beeline Library then Pyramids and build them more or less the moment you have them.

I habitually upgrade scouts with visibility to give then sight beyond sight when scouting and lo! I once found krakatoa within 2 tiles of a single coastal tile jutting out invitingly from a coast on about 20th turn with a scout, simultaneously revealed a CS a few tiles north.....just barely leaving it "settleable" on that 1 magic tile - phew! I thought this may be the first time ever I can settle krakatoa in history! Next move south with the scout...."you have met kathmandu! Happy happy joy joy 30 gold!"......

Oh no....the tile! Count the tiles quick!! 1....2....3!!!!!!! Dam. Youuu. kathmanduuuu!

I was stuck in "gaze with jaw dropped" mode for 5 minutes, recounting the tiles, considering attack options on either of the city states....imagining an orgy of destruction as I razed a CS and incurred epic diplo hits. Everything was so perfect a moment ago. Can I return to that point in time?? I can live without the 30 gold....i just want that moment back :'(

Needless to say, I rage quit....and kicked my hard drive.....possibly kracked-a-toa.

I really hate that 90% of the natural wonders are taken by city states. At least in my games it seems that is the case.

i havent played much so i guess shouldnt really have worst moments but im really gutted when i get beaten to a wonder by 1 or 2 turns and all i get is gold. i would prefer to carry over at least SOME of that production to a wonder or improvement i can choose instead

1. When a unit from another civ/CS appears between your turn and blocks your path. Like I'm trying to take a city and some other civ's scout shows up wounded in a tile I want to bombard from and then just fortifies there until it's healed. Or your own scout's escape path from barbs is suddenly closed off.

2. Anything and almost everything to do with city placement. When initially scouting and uncovering a nice area thinking "here's where I'm going to expand," then after another turn or two, realizing there is a CS or civ there. Not being able to raze CS' in general just bothers me, sometimes they spawn in the most inconvenient spot and I know I'm never going to get a city in what would otherwise be a perfect location because of it. Feeling like I have to build a city in a bad location because I want to be able to get boats on both sides of a continent. This happens all the time on continents that border the northern/southern edge of the map, there will be one tile (of probably snow) blocking off passage and I'd rather drop a weak city there than have to spend several turns going around the long way. In a similar vein, when there is a long thin strip of land two tiles wide, it drives me crazy that there is no place for me to drop a city and let boats pass through. IMO boats should be able to move along river tiles.

It's bad enough when the AI beats you to a Wonder just before you're about to finish it. But in my current game, I'm going for a CV and about 5 turns before I'm about to finish the Louvre, the AI built it. So, not only did I waste all that time and production on an essential Wonder only to lose out on it in the end, but I also wasted a Social Policy to open Exploration from which I have no plans on taking another Policy. :(

It has been stated already but for me it remains having enough faith points and not generating a great prophet...only to have another civ do so and now you don't have enough faith.

> Where
> Jealous at

American public schooling. I guess having to practise 'shooting drills' instead of grammar class is cutting into your education?

MURICAH.

The guy isn't even American, as I believe he mentioned, so English probably isn't his native language either. Think of that before you insult someone next time. :rolleyes:

And that's why people bash America so much. Not envy (there really isn't much to be envious about, in all honestly America is one of the last first world countries I'd choose to live in), but a reaction to that sort of attitude.

It's pretty funny; the slightest praise (or just non-criticism) of the US draws haters from the woodwork like a lamp draws moths.

All I said in my original post is that while the US isn't perfect, any country that could conceivably be a superpower in its place is even worse. You don't understand this yet, but you will in a few decades or so. :p

Anyway, to keep this on topic, those moments when you miscalculate the enemy units' movement speed and end up losing a unit to an enemy attack have to be pretty disheartening.

It has been stated already but for me it remains having enough faith points and not generating a great prophet...only to have another civ do so and now you don't have enough faith.

This can't happen. Great prophet costs are nation independent. Only pantheon costs are affected by past creations. Sometimes ppl are surprised that costs go up on epic and marathon though and think that other nations have affected it. This is not so.

This can't happen. Great prophet costs are nation independent. Only pantheon costs are affected by past creations. Sometimes ppl are surprised that costs go up on epic and marathon though and think that other nations have affected it. This is not so.

When creating a GP to found a religion I beg to differ. The cost of the next religion does go up. And it is well documented that players can have the amount needed for a GP but the game delays it. Why I don't know...but it does indeed happen. Very frustrating.

Top Bottom