1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

most disheartening moments in games?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by darden, Jan 27, 2014.

1. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

The cost of the next religion does not go up (unless I'm very much mistaken) but it is indeed correct that one will not always get a GP upon reaching the required amount of faith. That amount is a minimum requirement, not an absolute threshold.

2. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

I went on a domination rampage on Emperor difficulty wiping out 6 of the 7 competitors. After a few turns declaring war on the final competitor he strikes a cultural victory by spamming great musicians at my border.... the only person he needed to get a cultural victory with.

3. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

After attempting a domination victory and taking 2 capitals, Korea and Polynesia, Poland who is payed off to make a dow against both of these civilizations, betrays me. Casimir suddenly turns into a beast since he became a sitting duck wonder spammer who took most of the wonders. He had the usual great war bombers, and also the infantry which can easily beat Gatling guns on Deity.

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

You are correct.

5. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Each time a religion or pantheon is founded does not the amount needed to earn the next one tick up? Thus delaying your founding the next religion or pantheon. I've been delayed in this manner often in games...sometimes back to back to back.

6. Browd

Only pantheon costs rise. The cost to generate Grea Pro

7. Browd

Only pantheon costs rise as each pantheon is founded. The costs of Great Prophets for one civ are not affected by GP spawns by other civs or founding of religions.

8. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

I understand the cost of a GP doesn't go up. But once a GP is expended to create a religion by a civ (even your own) doesn't the faith cost to found or add to an existing religion?

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Yes and no. Each time a Pantheon is founded, the cost for the next one goes up. Each time YOU generate a Great Prophet, the cost for the next one goes up, but OTHER CIVS generating Great Prophets has no affect on your civ's threshold.

10. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Thanks... so my problem is the delay in getting the GP ...which allows another civ to pop a religion before me (perhaps the last) ....I always thought I saw that additional faith was then needed to build my GP (assuming it did not pop yet) in order to finally pop my own religion. It is more the other civs popping their religions with their GP's, not their creation of the actual GP.

11. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

I random play and roll Gandhi (or Enrico) as my leader

12. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Complete the piety social policy track with a religion that has monasteries hoping that sacred sites was not taken but it was.

13. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

this sort of thing sucks. You can check what other ppl get before you get there, but often you're most of the way through the tree before they get it so it's still a waste... :/

14. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

I had a game recently where I thought I had a great location as Japan. On the coast with some nice production; near a three-rivered desert for my second city to push out a religion and petra; and near a natural wonder for my third. I planned quick expansion.

Then I discovered the only viable iron source on my continent was right off the Iroquois capital, in the middle of nothing but jungle. Also, my seemingly nicely placed capital couldn't reach any other cities except a nearby citystate...even with a Harbor. Also, Venice was on my continent, sniped that nearby city state (with which I was allies) before I had any ability to do anything about him. Finally, France, who was never anywhere near me, repeatedly DoWed for reasons I will never understand and eventually brought me into repeated continent-wide wars. The game was clearly trolling me.

I did a decent job fighting my way back, making friends off continent, and taking out most of the Iroquois, Polish and French territory. Then my friends backstabbed me and joined Venice in a war against me just in time for me to realize there was no oil on the continent except in Venice and Paris (which I hadn't been able to take). I owned all the desert and jungle on the continent...but no oil except there.

That was a game that made me put Civ5 for a long while. It makes me irritated just thinking about it.

15. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

This is why I always play with Strategic Balance :p

16. Sharples

Sharples Prince

When you got the best start ever and you played on OCC only to lose the game by one damn turn.

I will kill you Germany, I'm coming back for you. :mad:

17. Snipes

Snipes Chieftain

Dumping 1000s of gold on a CS then next turn an AI does a coup and you are back down to neutral.

18. MrBlobby

MrBlobby Chieftain

It's very disheartening when you set one of your melee units to bring the enemy unit down to a slither of health, but instead it somehow kills it outright and leaves your unit in a position where you know it will be killed next turn.

This ever happened to anyone else? :)

19. Sharples

Sharples Prince

*COUGHBARBARIANSCOUGH*

I've had that happen to me too much, there are two other barbarian units behind me, and I just want to weaken the one I'm focusing on, so it is discourged to attack again or so I can heal up and discourage an attack in case if the other barbarians decide to come face to face with my warrior.

But... dat random number generator..... I HATE IT. :mad:

20. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

When you open the box and notice the LJN logo on the cartridge. If you see that logo, you're gonna have a bad time.