1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Fearsome Maniac

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by CHEESE!, Feb 3, 2008.

?

Scariest war maniac?

1. Shaka

83 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Montezuma

54 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Isabella

15 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Boudica

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Ragnar

15 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. Willem van Oranje (LOL)

6 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Other (specify)

20 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. ConanKND

ConanKND Warlord

I also agree that the medium type warmongers (not heavy in war, keeps a larger then average army with decent techs). And since the human average is in techs, this means bad news.

So I think it's people like Julius Caesar, scary in the early game and nightmare potential in the late game.

2. gopher666

gopher666 Chieftain

Monty for sure. While Shaka as a neighbour is a pain, I usually seem to be able to deal with him. Monty, on the other hand, seems to have the ability to always outnumber me four-to-one no matter how many damn units I have. If I find Monty close to me on any map, I usually go mental on his sorry ass out of sheer terror.

3. Jedoc

Jedoc Warlord

Ragnar's usually my biggest obstacle. I know that if I can get to the modern age he's dogmeat, but despite my best efforts he always has a monstrous power graph twice the size of mine for the first half of the game. Plus, the boy loves him some amphibious assaults, especially once he has Berserkers. If I'm sharing a continent with him, I know that the first half of the game is going to consist of piling units in coastal cities and fighting off stacks of violet doom once per century.

One of the more interesting games I played recently had Shaka, Saladin, and Ragnar occupying the western two-thirds of a massive continent with me. Saladin converted them both to Islam, so every time one of them declared war the other two would dogpile. Things were pretty sketchy all the way up to the Industrial Era. On the bright side, I don't think I ever had so many Great Generals to play with.

4. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Related question; I'm not sure how you guys know who bribed someone to attack you. Do you just make an educated guess? Or is it plainly evident when you say you know who did? Is there a way to know who bribed an attack?

5. Il Corvo Bianco

Il Corvo Bianco Warlord

Shaka. He wasn't preparing a war (no "other on hands"), he had little units like, 10 turns before...

...so, when I attacked him, from WTF he extracted those 65 RIFLES?????? A SIXTY-DAMNED-FIVE-BIG RIFLE STACK! Without counting grens, and cannons, and 6 MEDIC AXEMEN! I really got steamrolled...kept only the capital. Ok, I'll never play OCC, that game was enough.

And this was on Noble...that guy is CRAZY! *get taken away by psychanalists, screaming CRAAAAAAZY!!!!!!*

6. IagoAlberto

IagoAlberto Warlord

SHAKA!!! As others have said his war-mongering is superior if only because of the number of up to date units he brings+the vassals that are in tow. He is the only serious war-monger who doesn't fizzle by the middle ages, Monty, Genghis and Ragnar are manageable, Shaka can really hammer you.

But this just makes him more satisfying to crush, last game I played, I kept him off my back till riffles/grens/cannons then he declared on hatsepshut who was off on an island. I declared 10 turns later once his power graph took a dive and eliminated him in about 25 turns, only because he emptied his cities of units. What a guy . . .

7. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Not suprised to see Shaka in the lead. He's a very effective invader, especially at higher levels.

8. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Shaka for sure. He knows what to do with his units and they're never far behind tech-wise. Forget the game if he's ahead in tech mid 1600's, you're toast a century later, tops.

Tokugawa can be penned in by alliances, same goes for Ragnar, and Monty is normally long gone as a threat by medeval times, same goes for Genghis.

Cathy, Napoleon, Louis XIV, Bismarck and that Dutch Utter Nutter are the ones who smile in your face and all the time they want to take your place!

9. slightlymarxist

slightlymarxist Comrade

Shaka. He's EXTREMELY dangerous if you start next to him. He's one of the few AI:s with whom I'd consider an appeasement policy. :(

10. Wlauzon

Wlauzon Prince

I also would have cast a vote for Cathy, but she was not on the list.

She is totally bonkers. A few games ago I had her go from friendly+defensive pact to declaring war on me in the space of 4-5 turns.

I usually find Tokugawa no threat at all unless you are his neighbor. By 1800 or so, he is so far behind in tech that he is not much of a threat.

As far as Shaka goes, since I am nearly always far ahead in tech, I find that the best way to handle him is to bribe him to attack someone else by trading tech. As you noted, Shaka, Monty, and a couple others you KNOW are warmongers, so you know what to prepare for.

11. InFlux5

InFlux5 King

I guess everyone has a different definition of "maniac".

12. ganto

ganto Chieftain

Shaka can be scary, scarier as another civ's pet dog, and even scarier if he gets techs from his master or friends.

Late game, you better have SDI (or UN willing) if he has uranium

13. stachnie

stachnie Theorist

Tokugawa. In one of my recent games he has attacked me 3 times:

- he tried to capture my isolated marble city (fortunately, it was a strong fortress and after I sent some supplies on Galleons, Toku had no chance)

- just after I made a peace with Peter the Great because of crippling war weariness, Toku vassalized him and attacked with not-so-great-SOD (WW was much more a pain than whole Japanese army)

- just after I had destroyed invasion force from the other continent, and it was definitely the last Toku's mistake as I made peace with unfortunate aggressor and conquered Japan :)

Maybe he is not as crazy as Montezuma but it is very difficult to please him, trade techs, sign Open Borders etc.

S.

14. Still_Asleep

Still_Asleep Warlord

Julius Caesar.

Will always go to war in the 18 civ games I am having, usually really early. And will win, thanks to Preatorians. By the time they are outdated he will have a huge empire or vassals.

He also gives a . .. .. .. . about religion, so you cant switch to his to please him in time.

The most aggressive AIs are Monty and Dschingis Khan, followed by Shaka.

15. Pieman

Pieman Prince

I think few other leaders match Shaka in war. The number of strong, up-to-date stacks he can field is just scary...

16. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

I voted for Montezuma, because i think Montezuma is in the early game far more dangerous then Shaka. Later in the game I have already ruled them out (by force).

I fear the Jaguar Warrior more then the Impi as it don't need a resource.

17. Silence101

Silence101 King

I don't really consider most of the crazies to be a big threat - Monty, Genghis, Boudica - they're predictable and they're generally easy to fend off because they tend to tech slower. They become more annoying than anything. I'd say the scariest threats are those leaders who tech decent, have some warmonger tendancies, and are somewhat unpredictable. They are usually a bit smarter about going to war, too. Some of the leaders that I've personally found to be the scariest include:

Ragnar - I've had some interesting run-ins with this guy.

Joao II - The more I play against Joao, the more I can't stand him. On top of always attacking me at the wrong time, he's kind of a snob.

Hannibal - He has singled me out more times than I care to remember.

Cyrus - More and more, I think Cyrus has it out for me personally too.

Suryavarman II - I think someone earlier called him a back-stabber. I totally agree.

Alexander - More so in the earlier game... I think he fades a bit. Alaxander at war with that aggressive trait and phalanx can be difficult to get over.

Gilgamesh - Somehow, he always comes up with one of the fiercest, most advanced militaries in the game... and I think he's secretly always looking for someone to kill.

Shaka - A total warmonger, but he seems to be a bit more intellegent about it than most of your typical warmongers.

Napolean - A late game threat... he can be very aggressive sometimes.

Catherine - Everyone knows... she has no loyalties.

18. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Mansa Musa is always a huge threat.

Joao has a good graphic where he is examing his nails, then panics when he see you. :lol:

19. Pe Ell

Pe Ell Warlord

I actually had a game where the dutch conquered their entire continent, ending up with 3 vassals. Was unrestricted leaders though and Brennus was in charge. :p

Anyways gotta go with Shaka on this one. He never quits! I few games ago I chariot rushed him (no copper hooked up had he) since I really didn't like the idea of having that mad thing as my neighbor. I quickly captured one city and razed another, putting him down at two cities. But when I got there he had somehow managed to get construction and walls, probably whipped them. I figured it would be nice to have peace but Shaka refused. I pillaged his entire land, he still refused! He fought me back by killing my chariots with hordes of archers, resulting in WW in my cities. Eventually I threw the game in pure frustration.

I would also like to take the moment to express my pure hatred for Gilgamesh. He's A L W A Y S in my games and usually right at my border. With vultures and Pro/cre he's impossible to rush and he'll entrench you early. If I try to wait and tech, he hits me when I'm not ready. And then there's that animation of his when he refuses something. Argh! Gilgamesh M U S T die!

20. Silence101

Silence101 King

I always hear about people having problems with Isabella - personally I have trouble relating... that's not to say that I think she's peaceful by any means, but I've never thought of her as a serious war threat. I don't recall her ever giving me that much trouble. I've also had many peaceful games with Isabella where we didn't share the same religion.