1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Fearsome Maniac

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by CHEESE!, Feb 3, 2008.

?

Scariest war maniac?

1. Shaka

83 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Montezuma

54 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Isabella

15 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Boudica

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Ragnar

15 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. Willem van Oranje (LOL)

6 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Other (specify)

20 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

Shaka. For some reason he can keep the tech up even building tons of units. I just don't know how he does it. His UU are very annoying as well.

2. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

There's no contest really.

3. JayBirds

JayBirds Chieftain

I choose other.

Any of the aggressive leaders are dangerous if their tech is on par with the tech leader.

I find that the hardest Civ to fight is the point leader regardless of who they are. Simply because they are either on par with your tech or better. All AI leaders make SoD's regardless of who they are.

When it comes to mid-late game it generally turns out to be a dog pile on the human player more times than not. But that probably because of my play style as well. I love to war.

4. Heathen_Penguin

Heathen_Penguin Chieftain

I voted Shaka. If he is not weak he will attack. If he is weak he will send spies. His seemingly endless spy attacks are extremely annoying.

5. djvandrake

djvandrake Prince

Ok, so I'm a little new. I've only played 5 games and I've never had Shaka come at me with a 50 unit stack of death.

Right now I'm in a game with Tokugawa as my neighbor next door. He is driving me nuts!!!!!! He declared war because we were both building the AP. It worked because I stoped construction and started immediate unit build. Well, that was 400 years ago and the maniac will not give up. His war weariness is outrageous (47!) and still he won't accept a cease fire. How does he even function with this? I just took one of his cities, and it has to be driving him nuts becuase he keeps throwing invasion fleets at me (which I send to the bottom).

Tokugawasan is insane. :p

6. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Yeah, once Toku makes up his mind about war, it seems to be a rather long-term life-or-death decision. I usually mop him up completely. Also, he shows up in 3/4 of my games.

7. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

i voted for Boudica because:

Agg/Chr come on!
    She doesn't suicide on you like monty or Shaka
    she get's a big empire
    she's very strong in terms of economy and civ in the later stages
    she knows how to build an army properly.

8. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

You haven't seen the SOD from Shaka? I've seen enough because for some reasons I keep running into him. If you play the 3.22/Bhuric patched version he REX like crazy 'cause his UB (Ikhania which is half priced) keep the maintainence low. The higher number of cities mean more troops.

Not to mention he's got one of the two most annoying UU in the games -- Impi (another one is Keshik).

9. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

Ugh, Shaka for sure. A few days ago I was playing a game as Isabella on a Terra map. My civ was located on the northern end of the Old World continent, and I also had some nice islands that I had blocked off to everyone who didn't have OB with me. So, I was content to fill up my space before starting to war (was planning on timing it with the arrival of Conquistadors). Shaka was on the other extreme end of the continent, and I noticed him doing a little warmongering, and before you know it, he's got a hefty empire. I think to myself, ok, I have to deal with him eventually, but before I can take him I should expand by taking France's cities and catching up in tech. Besides, there's other Civs closer to him that he will war with first. Around the same time I thought this, I see a humungous Knight SOD come through France. At that point, I knew the game was over. I rushed some longbowman, but what good is 6 longbowman versus a hundred Knights? Scrapped that game then and there.

10. djvandrake

djvandrake Prince

I've just not played enough games yet and haven't had him as an opponent. I'm sure once I do he'll make Tokugawasan look like and amatuer.

The problem is, while toku and I are kicking each other around, Boudica is quietly building a big army. I have a feeling big red is going to come after us with a vengance. Luck I'm not on the same continent with her.

11. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

The Two Caesars are ridiculous, some wisebutt programmer actually told them how great Praets are. So whenever they get Ironworking, they immediately attack a weak neighbor to double the size of their empire.

I remember once being on a continent with Hatshepsut, Mansa Musa and Gandhi. It was like ... heaven. We just teched (I was Louis) and wonder built, were all Hindu and had the Apostolic Palace. I won a culture victory (Sid's Sushi saved me).

I also once was on a continent with Montezuma, Shaka and Boudica, and nearby was Tokugawa on an island. Needless to say I fought all three crazies while Tokugawa just refused to acknowledge my existence (for some reason, still unexplained because I would give him crap to make him like me). That game I gave up on when I had two cities left.

12. UnlockPotential

UnlockPotential Chieftain

Catherine or De Gaulle

13. Wlauzon

Wlauzon Prince

I disagree muchly.

Points are kind of a farce, they don't show the true state of things.

For example, I just won a Domination on Pangea Huge Prince, 4 civs. At 1950'ish the points were something like me = 3000, Alexander = 4500.

What the points did NOT show was:

1. Alexander had no oil, no coal, no uranium, no aluminum.
    2. Alexander was 15 or so behind in tech.
    3. Alexander had 4x as many units as I did and more land area - but he had muskets at best (and 40000000 stone age units). With modern armor and gunship stacks I was able to take as many as 4 cities in a turn, while he had no chance at all of retaking them.

14. Quartz

Quartz Chieftain

I voted for Montezuma, but I think Tokugawa definately deserves a place in that poll

15. Fraulzar

Fraulzar Chieftain

Genghis wasn't a choice in the poll! ;)

However, having said that, I haven't personally experienced that from Genghis yet. Useful bit of info to have though, so thanks! Perhaps I've just been fortunate and not been on the wrong side of a war with him lately.

I do stand by Monty as the obvious choice for king of the maniacs though! He has the greatest potential of any neighbor to have me clicking on the ole retire button.

16. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

The differences between Montsy, Shaka and Toku:

• Montsy: he WILL attack you the first moment he is strong enough, pleased or not.
    • Shaka: he may or may not attack you early, may tech for a while, and even befriend and trade with you, but once your power-rating drops a bit he will suddenly send his stack to you at basically any time.
    • Toku: he may or may not attack you early, may tech for a while, and will not trade with you and just keep you at the corner. If your power-rating is decent he usually wait till medieval time.

It sometimes really depends on your start location. If I get a good commerce/food rich floodplain site I really hate seeing Montsy because he will do everything to destroy your initial tech race. But in general I fear Shaka more because you just don't know when he'll attack you.

17. Wlauzon

Wlauzon Prince

The worst thing about Shaka and a couple of others is that they are so unpredictable.

You can go from almost ally to at war in a couple of turns.

So now I just assume that if shaka is on the map, he WILL attack eventually unless I am like 3:1 ahead.