1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most fun Civ to play as?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lindsay40k, Jan 11, 2014.

1. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

For me, it's definitely Spain. Such a fun UA, making NWs into uber-tiles gives you a very entertaining game of exploring and focused target priority. And The AI hardly ever takes One With Nature as their Pantheon, so you can super-charge your NW economy with Faith and build a massive army. And the super-tiles feed in to any victory type as well.

I just had a great game where I bagged Lake Victoria, conquered a CS that had Mt Sinai, and then a wandering Conquistador found Sri Pada on a tiny island surrounded by fish ^^

2. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Carthage, because the only thing better than elephants are amphibious elephants. In this, Carthage really delivers everything I could ever want.

3. mclericp

mclericp Warlord

Shaka

All shall crumble b4 me

4. Kizo

Kizo Chieftain

The Inca, because being better than everyone at everything is great.

5. nemesis464

nemesis464 Chieftain

Shaka: Getting Impi and then have them continually level up. Purchase unit upgrades when needed and get some insane late game über-units. Some of my Impi have 8~ promotions atm.

6. aljung

aljung Chieftain

Byzantine: I love the challenge and possibility of founding a religion with a bonus belief. In a recent game, I took the belief that enabled me to purchase units with Faith, helping me greatly in dealing with religion + the UUs at the same time.

7. direblade99

direblade99 Warlord

Persia,

Sorry what was that?

I can't hear you over the sound of the whole map being conquered during a 60 turn golden age.

8. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

Polynesia. I love the heads and the mass early exploration.

9. njmfff

njmfff Prince

It's funny to see Gandhi takes reformation that allows you to buy Industrial and late game units with faith. :lol: it's amusing as much as Gandhi threatening with nukes. :crazyeye::nuke:

Most fun to play: any warmongering civ. You want to be aggressive, so chances are world will hate you for it. No chance that game will become boring like "click next turn till that diplo victory comes"

Diplo victory is the most boring, since AI has no clue how to fight CS wars. :confused::mischief:

10. Silverman6083

Silverman6083 History-Lover

Austria, wow why aren't those city-states red?

11. danieladler

danieladler Warlord

Germany. First social policy honor. And just watch your warrior turn into a whole army and get lots of gold and culture, while your cities can focus on more important and fun things. Like expanding fast in order to keep up with the unit support limit.

12. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Does Germany now has increased barb camp spawn rate near their land? I played German game few days ago and barb spawn was crazy. Yeah, I use raging barbs, but they usually spawn at random points on the map... but this was just crazy, literally every turn or two one of the barb camps spawned 2-3 titles away from my boarders.

I had a huge army and I've only built one spearman, one warrior and two archers. :lol: Oh and why did Hand-Axe upgraded into Lancer? :confused:

13. sendos

sendos Immortal

I play all kinds of civs, so I'll mention 2 fun civs to play as.

Portugal: It's a perfect civ for wide and tall play. Works very well if each CS has its own luxury resource, rather than 10 CS having the same luxury resource, usually whales. Start on the coast, find some allies, start sea trading and watch the gpt roll in. Get Colossus ASAP at capitol and each trade route coming to you will give you at least 20-25gpt. Your trade routes later in game will give you as much as 45gpt. Nau is icing on the cake but not that great.

Maya: perfect civ for wide empires. Grab messenger god, complete piety and liberty, choose between Jesuit Education and Glory of God. If a warmonger neighbour is near you, get the holy warriors belief and churn out on army. and get the defender of faith enchancer to boost your defences. If your gpt is good, you could choose pilgrimage and the faith bonus from world wonders, which should give you about 100-200fpt.

14. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Will try that strategy with Mayans, since I planed on playing one session with them. :D

Agree for Portugal, their gpt can get nuts in later games. Even AI seems to have good gpt, alto, Maria still has trouble with choosing right city locations.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I really enjoy lots of different civs. I have a hard time picking just one. I just had a game with the Byzantines where I used Pagodas, Cathedrals, and the Tourism from Faith-purchased buildings Reformation belief to have a super dominant culture game. I only had two civs left to dominate before I even got Hotels.

The current one that I'm enjoying is Sweden. I really enjoy the paradigm shift on Great Persons.

16. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

Like @Eagle Pursuit, I can't pick a single favorite Civ. However, I find Sweden, Arabia, Poland, and Assyria to all be great fun to play as.

17. MattZed

MattZed Warlord

That's a REALLY tough call. I'm torn between Egypt, Maya, Sweden, and Venice. Egypt and Maya because of really nice piety ICS, Sweden because of the sheer city-state domination, (and Carolean rushes) and Venice, well, because it's Venice.

18. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Shoshone seems fun sometimes since it is a challenge. China seemed fun with upgraded chokonus that had an extra attack. Gajah Mada is also fun, Brazil too. Many civilizations are fun. The ottomans , sweden or Inca also are fun civs. These are only a few fun civs.

19. PolishNoble

PolishNoble Chieftain

I've only played through two games so far, but I really enjoyed playing as Poland (shocking considering my username, I know). Free SP upon the dawning of each new age is a huge advantage.

20. Astennu

Astennu Warlord

I'm soured off Persia since getting Chichen Itza is basically impossible on Immortal. The missed out opportunity of having even longer golden ages is rather dissapointing.

I think Portugal might top the list for fun to play. Just love the commercy feel of so much gold coming in from trade routes and being rewarded for exploring with Naus. And of course Feitorias are just awesome.