Most Fun / Least Fun

Gothic_Empire

AKA, Ramen Empire
I thought it might be interesting to see what aspects of Vox Populi we thought were the best and which aspects were our most tooth-ache-like pain points. We talk about balance a lot, but I was thinking it might be valuable to talk about what we think feels best / worst.

I'll start.

The most fun, I think, is the late game social trees. Imperialism, Rationalism, and Industry. Whatever you were doing before, you now have an opportunity to flip the script. Your Tradition / Statescraft civ with a late game UU can grab imperialism and go nuts. Your early game warmonger can settle down, grab industry, and head toward whatever victory they want. It's pretty slick, and turns off the sort of late-game drag that existed in BNW.

The least fun, imo, is trying to deal with a snowballing warmonger that's on your same island. If you can't get rid of, say, Askia before his UU comes online, you're going to get swarmed, your cities are going to get taken, and unless the map gave you defensible terrain, there's just not a lot you can do about it (speaking re: Emperor difficulty.) The same goes for Rome, Denmark, etc. Being next to one of them feels a little bit like an unsolvable problem at times and it's frustrating.

So what is the most fun and least fun for you about VP?

Most fun: Religion. Lots of cool combos that you can make, plenty of interesting pantheons (I like Goddess of Protection's combat ability).

I quite like City-State quests as well, like I had a cool quest in my game to ally a pair of City-States, I was rush-buying Emissaries and gifting units before it was too late, I managed to time that quest with entering Medieval and I had two secured allies, a ton of Gold, and a Golden Age all a turn after entering Medieval.

I also have a Quest to build 7 temples and a Quest to build Grand Temple from a different City-State :) Neat how that worked out.

Least fun: Random late-game DoW's from losing civs. I understand it's supposed to be out of desperation but I hate how friendly civs randomly declare war and just cause a headache for no benefit to themselves.

I thought it might be interesting to see what aspects of Vox Populi we thought were the best and which aspects were our most tooth-ache-like pain points. We talk about balance a lot, but I was thinking it might be valuable to talk about what we think feels best / worst.

I'll start.

The most fun, I think, is the late game social trees. Imperialism, Rationalism, and Industry. Whatever you were doing before, you now have an opportunity to flip the script. Your Tradition / Statescraft civ with a late game UU can grab imperialism and go nuts. Your early game warmonger can settle down, grab industry, and head toward whatever victory they want. It's pretty slick, and turns off the sort of late-game drag that existed in BNW.

The least fun, imo, is trying to deal with a snowballing warmonger that's on your same island. If you can't get rid of, say, Askia before his UU comes online, you're going to get swarmed, your cities are going to get taken, and unless the map gave you defensible terrain, there's just not a lot you can do about it (speaking re: Emperor difficulty.) The same goes for Rome, Denmark, etc. Being next to one of them feels a little bit like an unsolvable problem at times and it's frustrating.

So what is the most fun and least fun for you about VP?
Actually I have the most fun game in a long time fighting Askia who has 2 vassals, 25 cities, more than 20 wonders, on my continent :lol:.
It was very satisfying to finally be able to push back his army of doom and take his capital which has 19 wonders in it :crazyeye:.
Least fun is a science victory where I just hit the next turn button :)....

Last edited:
Most fun: when I manage to nail the civ/settling/religion/policy/wonder combo I start to go for in game (assuming I have one - sometimes I just roll with wherever the game takes me). So as a feature, I guess... the pretty much infinite different ways you can combine all these.

Least fun: When the game reminds me that settling 20 cities before Medieval was in fact a pretty silly idea...:rolleyes:
Alternatively and slightly more seriously, when you end up in a lovely war declared->peace treaty->war again loop with multiple civs that doesn't actually go anywhere in either direction.

Most Fun: When you and a bunch of other AI's become Superpowers in the later eras compared to the rest and are racing each other for victory

Least Fun: When only 1 civ is a Superpower (including myself) and steamrolls the entire game and no one touches them. Or if someone takes action, they just get absorbed into the Superpower's belly

I'm aware those aren't really aspects exclusive to VP, but I can't think of anything else especially since I haven't played vanilla CiV :mischief: These are the most/least fun I have when playing my VP games though

Most fun- the initial exploration stage of the game and the rush to get those best nearby city locations asap. Will I get the religion I wanted? That early wonder I'm gunning for? The first 150 turns are usually the most fun imo.

Least fun- the next turn spam in a game that is basically won. I can't bring myself to just start a new one, though, because what if something crazy happens this time that I didn't see coming?!

Depends on the game. I love playing the warmonger and sequentially slapping down whatever civ is 2nd on the score board before rolling my way in to victory. Or being a lone hold-out against a massive Mongolia with 30 cities while I sit away sending trade routes as Venice until everyone buys my jeans.

I'd say the least interesting thing is when the game feels uninteractive, where I'm just doing stuff without being forced to adapt due to map/AI/etc.

Last edited:
First I have to say that I do play SP only. I find a lot of fun when almost all the other players declare war to me, very challenging; about the new functions of VP, I like a lot the possibility to rename the units; as a proposal I remeber an old version of civ with a list shown at the end of a game with killed/lost count for every unit type, it would be very nice to have it in VP.

Least fun is cultural victory, usually I disable it.

Most enjoyable - Diplomacy/votes feel like they actually matter. Well, control of WC does, at any rate. The increase in combat UI variety/AI ability over vanilla is also fantastic. Just all the combat changes, really.

Least - Incessant, random war when I wanted to be peaceful. Sometimes it feels like vassaling is the only real solution - which, despite having many benefits, is often more war than I want to engage in. Especially really early ("No fair, I'm not ready yeeeetttt!!"). That said, a game with no war at all can get rather boring pretty quickly. Too much is probably better than too little.

Last edited:
Most fun: Playing in a game with no balance issues suddenly causing fast updates. :)

Least fun: realizing hotfixes are never save-game compatible.

Most fun: discovering steamrolling combos

Less fun: seeing components of your combo get nerfed

Least fun: AI regarding your capital as their own land.

Or turn them into a caravan like unit, that becomes a military unit again on destination :goodjob:

Or mark a bunch of units as a "group", then turn them into a (caravan) and later have them spawn like vassalage units does on each era, at the desired destination.

Or mark a bunch of units as a "group", then turn them into a (caravan) and later have them spawn like vassalage units does on each era, at the desired destination.

Even if I had to click a unit at a time and send them this way it’s still way better than managing a large group of units long distance

Top Bottom