1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most game changing concept/tip

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by bbrady413, Dec 16, 2018.

1. bbrady413

bbrady413 Chieftain

What was your "eureka!" moment in Civ 3? What is the strategy or tip or thing you figured out that most dynamically changed your game and brought you to that next difficulty level or next echeclon of cometitiveness?

For me it was two things- the first thing was figuring out that rapid expansion to start is the best way to become dominant, no matter the victory condition. In Civ I and Civ II, and a while in Civ III, I would just have optimal city placement, and get a core of 5 or 6 cities, and just rely on military expansion for the rest. This really stifled my victory ability, and kept my difficulty level at Regent or lower. Once I figured out that starting the game by pumping out settlers/cities as fast as possible, I was able to jump up to Monarch and dabble in Emperor.

The second thing was figuring out that the outer cities that are super corrupt can serve a useful purpose- pumping out workers to improve infrastructure, and pump up the city population in the core. This was a game changer, since for so long those outer cities were basically just taking up space and producing nothing.

What were your big game changing tips?

2. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

Two spring to mind:

1. Prebuilds: I nearly always build Cope's, and by using a prebuild I get it consistently. I get Theory of Evolution consistently, too.
    2. Tech trading: When I first learned the game, I thought that trading away techs would be squandering my advantage. I learned that one should trade with the AI to get as many Ancient Age techs as possible, to speed my own progress forward. An important sub-point: the AI will pay a LOT for a tech that unlocks a Great Wonder, even if someone (like me) has already built that wonder.
    • After I win the Philosophy slingshot, sell Philosophy to everyone.
    • After I build Cope's, sell Astronomy.
    • After I build Newton's, sell Theory of Gravity
    • After I build ToE, sell Scientific Method
    The AI has paid me *gold per turn* for the chance to build a wonder that I've already built, on my way to the Spaceship.

I like your comment about pumping up the core with workers. In the first two ages, though, I always struggle with happiness -- too few luxuries. I'm reluctant to pump up my core cities to size 12 with only 2 or 3 luxury items.

3. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

My most important Eureka moments were two War Academy articles, which taught me about the importance of food and workers: Jon Shafer's "The Case For Food" and cracker's "Opening Plays Site".
    And of course, when I first learned, how the Republic Slingshot works. This trick alone is so powerful, it borders on an exploit...

Nathiri likes this.
  4. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

For me, the Republic slingshot was a major one. Disbanding obsolete units for their shield value instead of spending gold to upgrade was another (though it appears to me that doing so has not helped Wonder building - is this correct and I'm just missing it?).

5. justanick

justanick King

Shields from disbanding, poprushing, goldrushing and chopping forest are not allowed for wonders.

6. Lanzelot

That's correct. Wonders cannot be hurried, and this includes cash-rushing, pop-rushing, disbanding units and chopping forests. (Only the "normal" shield production of a city and civil engineers contribute to a wonder build.)

(BTW: this feature is even used to steer the yields of a forest chop into the desired town, where you need the shields: if another town is closer to the forest, just set it temporarily to a wonder-build, and then the shields from the forest chop will go into the other town... ;))

7. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    In no particular order, the following recognitions have improved my game:
    • No matter what my game-intentions are, the AI will not play nice (or rationally) and war will happen, whether I want it or not (so better be ready for it!) — hence I should build a military comprising (many) more attackers than defenders, rather than vice versa.
    • In as much as any buildings are 'required' in a new town, Courthouses and 'Ducts are often (if not always) the most important (and Markets + Luxes are more effective than Temples! ;) Trade, trade, trade...).
    • Production directed into newly unlocked buildings should be staggered by town, rather than trying to do it everywhere simultaneously — especially during the early game (keep building those units!).
    • The Republic beeline is imperative — even if the slingshot is missed, still go for it.
    • Governments should ideally not change more than once (possibly unless REL: but even then, not more than twice)
    @WeirdoJoker: Chops don't add to Wealth either, so -- if you haven't got a Wonder available -- that's also an option, so long as the prospective Wealth-town is between builds (switching to Wealth mid-build will waste all the accumulated shields).

8. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

I completely agree. I always link these articles to people on Steam (even if they might be advanced and overwhelming). They have so many good ideas and concepts. I especially like how in the Opening Plays, they do different takes to see the outcomes; so it really shows you each move can matter, and which style of play you want to pursue depending on your land.

9. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord

I see it written often but I don't know what it means: What is a "slingshot", and what is the Republic slingshot?

10. Kirejara

Kirejara King

You beeline Alphabet > Writing > Codes of Law > Philosophie > Republic

Since the KI usually researched other techs first, there is a good chance to get Republic as free tech when discovering Philosophie first.

Besides the allready mentioned tricks, one important discovery for me was that Fighters and Jet Fighters need two turns for air superiority (or Combat Air Patrol = CAP). If you have to rebase them, they need three turns to get operational!

Before that I was just waking up every aircraft at a base or carrier, send out the Airstrike and set the Interceptors back to CAP, without realizing that I thereby cancelled my running CAP operation.

Now I wake up only my bombers and leave the Fighters on CAP active.

And my Carriers are divided into defence and offence units. Before waking the Bombers on the Attack Carriers (marked by prefix ATT), I first moved the Defence Carrier (marked by prefix DEF) out of formation, so that my CAP will not be disturbed.

As result the airspace over my bases and carriers has become very unhealthy for enemy bombers. :trouble:

Another important point for me was to no longer set workers at automatic.

Only after finishing all works and being alone on the continent/island they are I set them "Automate no altering".

If there are still other players on that continent/island I just park them in a secure city until I need them again.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Jivilov likes this.
  11. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

I love that one, and use it every time. Much to my chagrin, however, I didn't get it in my current game :( ... would have helped if I'd started with Alphabet, but I'm playing the Japanese, who get Ceremonial Burial and The Wheel. Still, it helps to get to Republic as quickly as possible even if not obtained free. I'm currently at Regent on a Small map, and was able to trade my way to the Middle Ages pretty quickly.
    I'll have to think about this by the time I get that far (assuming the game doesn't end sooner). I've never really needed much more strategy to my Bombers than to have a bunch of them to do the heavy lifting anyway, and I've never really needed Jet Fighters much. But at Regent, I can imagine needing it now.
    YES!! This is probably the very first major piece of advice I got here, and it made the difference between a successful game and failure, even at Chieftain. Now, at Regent, with a bigger challenge it's a necessity. Now, I get all the work done, and my Workers can just sit around waiting for pollution, or to fix the occasional mess made by enemy forces.

Which reminds me ... sometimes I give up bombing enemy cities if all I'm doing is killing citizens and missing the enemy units, and instead cut off their resources by bombing the roads and railroads connecting them up. I haven't had the opportunity to assess how well this works, though, but I thought it might help slow down production of new powerful units. I'm not sure, though ... is this even a good idea?

12. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Resource denial is a very effective way to slow an enemy down, especially if you cut key resources like salpeter, rubber, oil and aluminium. ;)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/interesting-screenshots.192414/page-227#post-15279028

13. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

That's exactly what I had started doing - go after the important stuff. And if I can't reach it for whatever reason, I even go after the luxuries & bonus resources. As always, it depends on the specific situation.

14. MadTrucker

MadTrucker Chieftain

My "Eureka" moment was learning the power of artillery. I shunned cats, trebs, cannon, etc. After reading some articles and forum post here, I tried arty. Chew the enemy to red, move in for the kill. When playing as Korea the Hwach'a is especially dangerous.

15. 777

777 King

In my recent game on Monarch, I have focused on certain goal instead of building this and that and wait what comes. I also tried different govs. and overall strategy change compared to games on Regent. So far it has been successful. It's 1400 AD and I am very close to domination victory. I play Russians and tiny map. Only silly thing I did was to research republic which I found useless for my strategy. I went for Desp -> Reb. -> Feud. I wanted feudalism because of forced labor. I pumped so many med. infantry with that. War weariness is causing minor troubles. I have pretty good amount of luxs and research is 0 to 20 % and I boost only happiness. Couple of my cities are so unhappy that I have to assign the only people living as a tax collector :lol: but I don't give a damn. They are annexed cities after all ;) They served well their purpose for building my med. infantry army. I have about 4 core cities which keeps producing stuff and I don't want to use forced labor on them. Another silly thing I did, was to realize I need certain tech for connecting resources oversea. I had some unhappiness issue on another continent due to that. My army is also stuck forever in the continent because I can not transport the army with trireme :lol: Oh well. I have another army with only two units loaded.

16. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

A fun little thing to try is a hard limit on attack units in general, which makes artillery the key unit for victory. I've played a couple games where I limited my military to only 5 defense and attack units at a time and the goal was to win by conquering. I did this on Monarch and Emperor I think. I did these in MP with someone else, but we never finished it, though we made it to the 2nd era doing decent on conquering a few cities. We also limited our own settlers to a max of 8. There was no cap on naval units. This is especially hard since the AI almost always demand stuff from you with so little offense points. I think it's fun because you have to use everything wisely. Do you really need this unit over here? It's not that hard to fend off invading units though, since the AI retreat their units if you bombard them with artillery. You just have to make sure you defend them with a unit or 2.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  17. Lanzelot

Why is that silly? Republic is hands down the strongest government, even for military victories. No need for Feudalism. You stated the reason for this yourself: if you use forced labor, your people become so unhappy, that they will be totally unproductive. Using Republic and cash-rushing, you can produce much more units in the long run and achieve a military victory much faster. On Monarch level on a tiny map, domination victory at 1400 AD is actually quite slow. 500 AD would be ok, a BC time would be good.

18. 777

777 King

That was silly regarding to my strategy. I didn't mean that researching Republic is silly in general.

19. GeneralAchilles

GeneralAchilles Chieftain

Another usefull tip I got from here is to use suicide boats (boats that travel in sea and sometimes sink) in order to get more trading parthers, I used this the first time in a archipelago map and it really gave me a huge leap over the other civs, It also works good in a contient map.

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  20. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Of course, if they are too far away on the map - i.e., separated by ocean - then resources & luxuries cannot be traded until harbors can connect across the ocean. But at least the tech trades are possible, and I have occasionally been able to vault myself forward in that fashion.