• Malaysia

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • No SE Asian civs were important.

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, there's no evidence that Christ existed, and definitely not the mythological form portrayed in the Bible...

"Common Era" is stupid, because although "BC" originally meant "Before Christ" it now basically means before x time. We do need a time when we start the count, and it might as well be when "Jesus died", since Western civilization is linked heavily with Christianity.

It is? I always thought that "AD" is the one with the christian connotation whereas "CE" is more secular.

The interpretation of "CE" as "Christian Era" instead of "Common Era" is some christian who refuse to let the numbering of years be truly "shared".

I've always think the use of the term "Common Era", which is really the Christian calendar known by another name, as inappropriate in a culturally diverse world. I have no problems using AD or BC, but I don't like the idea that it is "shared" by all people of the world, because many culture have their own way of numbering years.

^agreed. but lets get back on topic. :)

Vietnam beats all (big).

Khmer makes some pretty architecture.

Thailand stays around and laughs at the other SEA nations for being colonized.

Indonesia is really important in the pre-European-world-domination global maritime trade route.

You know Cybrx, I knew a Vietnamese American who was driven out of South Vietnam. He refuses to call Saigon, Ho Chi Minh City and thought the current goverment is corrupt and only interested to earn money for themselves and not the people. Is this common?

A lot of Vietnamese living elsewhere, who were refugees, still feel much contempt against the communists, naturally.

For example, you can never make jokes about Ho Chi Minh in front of the older generations. It brings back many bad memories. The Vietnam War, and the Communists were very terrible, and some people don't like those memories.

However, the view you have told me of... i have not heard many Vietnamese talk about it. Generally, what i hear is that most of them think something more like this - Communists = Bad. Simple as that.

I have a question. Why didn't China assimilated Vietnam?

China pretty much assimilated everyone. The original Chinese only lived in the yellow river valley. It was called the "middle kingdom" because it had "barbarian" everywhere. Eventually, all the barbarian realized how cool it is to be Chinese and decide to call themselves Chinese.

There is a reason for everyone who isn't Chinese. Korean was seperate by a huge forest. Japan by a huge ocean.Tibetan live on Mountains. Mongolian live in err, desert. Now, there are some juicy green tiles to the south, why??

THe Vietnamese are very stubborn, thats all I have to say. Very.

They are also very far from China proper - meaning the Chinese heartlands like the Yangzi and Yellow river valleys.

The Chinese did rule N Vietnam for more than a thousand years, and the people did become Sinicized. But the local ruling elite went the other way, and under their leadership they broke off when the Chinese were otherwise busy (during the 11th century I think).

yup. but we are very stubborn, and that may be more harder than a long distance, and anoyhow, after a while, many Chinese began settling in South China (starting withh the Tang)

Yes, but the heart of Chinese imperial power was always in the Yangzi (and earlier, the Yellow) river system. Even today I think.

In any case, in the last 1000 years or so, the Chinese were almost continually busy with the northern 'situation', so they didn't really have the temptation to expand anywhere south much (except for Yunnan and Taiwan). By the time the Manchu Qing had sorted out the north, the Europeans had arrived...

true, but back in those days Vietnam was so small that a rebellion would have been near impossible. :D but distance does make its importance, but more so stubborness. :)

the Yangzi is much closer to Vietnam than the Yellow, and Vietnam used to have more territory in nowadays Southern China. In fact, 2/3 of the south of Vietnam wasnt part of it in the old days.

Well, there's no evidence that Christ existed, and definitely not the mythological form portrayed in the Bible...

"Common Era" is stupid, because although "BC" originally meant "Before Christ" it now basically means before x time. We do need a time when we start the count, and it might as well be when "Jesus died", since Western civilization is linked heavily with Christianity.

See? He doesn't even think Jesus exists and yet he uses BC:goodjob:

All of the SE Civs have landmarks, military feats, and great leaders, so I don't know who I want to choose anymore...

I've always think the use of the term "Common Era", which is really the Christian calendar known by another name, as inappropriate in a culturally diverse world. I have no problems using AD or BC, but I don't like the idea that it is "shared" by all people of the world, because many culture have their own way of numbering years.

Except that the calendar is used by everybody in the business world of today - for some people, in addition to their own cultural calendar - so it is in fact the common timeline, or common era, on top of being the christian one.

And really, if it was AC-BC (like it is in french) it wouldn't be such an issue. It's the "Year of God" part of the equation (Anno Domini) that's the big sticking point.e

Simply because Southeast asian men are lazy ignorant bums and southeast asian women are hardworking. Go to Singapore and see all the malay men sleeping and smoking and the women working.:p

Actually I think the power of women in south east asia is nothing short of remarkable looking at the influence of India and China. In India women were worse than death they jumped into the funeral pyre of their husbands. In china they were disasters to a family only more debt from dowry and property to be shipped off as a concubine or baby making machine. I think Buddhism's dominance and the actual general hardworking ethic of women over lazy men play roles in this.

We dont sleep and smoke and women go to work.. for generations Malay men are most dominant and they have more power than the women. But now well times has change but still we STILL work for money.. its just that our women just want to play a part in building up the family's income by working... i know.. coz im one of them..

I think the Khmer has the most influence in SE asia. But I think behind all this its probably india which plays a major part in making khmer. As far as i know Khmer's sole religion is Hinduism (before buddhism) and you can see alot of khmer's influence around south east asia. Like for example thailand and the borobudor in indonesia. SO yeah Khmer has the most impact. In later times.. Thailand or Siam back in those time was the most important Civ and the most powerful nation in SE asia. They rule like 1/4 of malaysia and other surrounding countries. So i can say that Khmer and Siam are the most powerful nation in SE asia during the ancient time and before the colonization age.

Top Bottom