Most Influential Indian Powers

GnomeChomsky

Chieftain
I come to you with a question I have in the development of my mod, Rhye's and Fall of India. The question is this: between the years 350 BC and 1857 AD, what 33-37 nations would you say were most influential in India? Or, what 33-37 powers should a mod looking for a fairly good depiction of this time period include?

By India, I mean this region here- Balochistan in the east to Myanmar in the west; Kashmir in the north to Sri Lanka in the south:

Spoiler :

EDIT: And if you think that isn't a good scope for the map, do you mind delineating a better region using this tool?

http://scribblemaps.com/create/#lat=21.968812087850296&lng=71.18924921874766&z=4&t=Hybrid&y=0&p=0

350BC - AD1857 is kinda a long time. I'll have to break this down into eras.

Spoiler :
Ancient (up to about AD300)
Mauryan (northern India, ie Empire of Asoka)
Kushan (northwestern India, present-day Pakistan and Afghanistan)
Scythian (northwestern India)
Greek (far northwest, present-day Afghanistan and northern Pakistan)
Satavahana (central India)

Classical (up to about AD1000)
Gupta (northern India, roughly replacing the Mauryan and its successor states)
Pallava (southern India)
Pandya (southern India)
Chalukya (west-central India)
Chola (southern India)
Pratihara (western and northern India)
Hoysala (south central India)

"Medieval" (up to about 1600)
Yadava (west-central India)
Sena (northeastern India)
Ganga (present-day Orissa)
Delhi (northern India, Sultanate)
Vijayanagar (southern India) + successor states
Bahmani (central India, Sultanate) + successor states
Rajput (western and central India)
Calicut (major trading center, present-day Kerala)
Mughal Empire

Mughal Successor States
Maratha
Hyderabad
Mysore
Travancore
Durrani (Afghanistan)
Sikh Empire

European Colonials
Estado da India (Portuguese)
East India Company (British)
Compagnie des Indes Orientales (French)
Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie (Dutch)

Sri Lanka
Various dynasties (could probably be represented as one civ)

If I were you, I'd cut Burma; it was more involved with politics to its east rather than its west.

Hmm interesting. Wouldn't that put part of the Durrani and Saka, and a good deal of the Kushans off the map?

Also, what would your opinion be on Tibet's inclusion? How extensive was its contact into the Indian subcontinent?

Hmm interesting. Wouldn't that put part of the Durrani and Saka, and a good deal of the Kushans of the map?

It would, though once they entered the Subcontinent the Kushans moved their capital to Begram and the Saka to Taxila. The map shaved off the Durrani realms north of Kabul but that's no big deal; we're more interested in their interaction with the Subcontinent, anyway.

Also, what would your opinion be on Tibet's inclusion? How extensive was its contact into the Indian subcontinent?

Not very, though a Tibetan Empire briefly established itself over Bengal. Personally, I'd prioritise, say, the Nepalis over than the Tibetans if you're going to include a Himalayan civ.

Thanks. I'll probably go with the Nepalis then and make Tibet Independent rather than a playable civ.

Not very, though a Tibetan Empire briefly established itself over Bengal. Personally, I'd prioritise, say, the Nepalis over than the Tibetans if you're going to include a Himalayan civ.

when did this happen ? i am from Kolkata ... :O

if you are talking of the Pal / Pala kings, rather, they introduced Buddhism to tibet.

Wouldn't leaving behind a strip of land to the west of the Arakan mountains be more desirable as those areas were cut off by the mountain range from the rest of Burma, had regular contact with the Indian civilization, and were at times owned by the Bengals?

So we can include Assam, Chutiya, Rakhine on the map.

Top Bottom