1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most interesting concept/form of alien beings?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Those of that variety are usually presented as some sort of entity which is supported by taking over other beings. As in The color out of Space (i do not recall if that entity needed to support itself, or just expanded blindly) or The Thing :)

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

That would be really interesting if it were true. I've never heard of the association before, never having played XCOM. It's quite possible that the myth was already there, and the game took it on, eh?

3. householder

householder Lord of the Fleas

4. Kyriakos

Horta?

It reminded me of the Horla, a being presented in a story by Guy de Maupassant. The being was not clearly 'alien', but (something very rare in De Maupassant) it was argued to be an actual presence and not a hallucination.
    The Horla had no form at all. The narrator thought it travelled, by accident, from Brazil to the Seine in France, on board an old merchant ship.

He thinks the Horla is going to substitute man, and it will begin with his own self.

The story exists in three different versions. The final one is the largest, and generally seen as the definitive version (although the previous two were more ambiguous and the Horla was regarded possibly as hallucinatory in them).

A wiki page on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horla

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

What's the name of that being which is a planet?

Ohohohoh. It's on the tip of my fingers.

Solaris!

There. I remembered. :)

6. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Maybe something based on a totally different biochemistry, such as aliens living in cryogenic environments (with liquid methane playing the role of water). They'd probably think and move a lot slower than we do, due to the low-energy chemistry.

Octopus/squid-shaped aquatic aliens communicating through sound and skin pigmentation changes might also be interesting.

Anything with a hive mind would be bats**t crazy. A variant of that would be a world-alien, i.e. the whole planet coated in something that functions as one huge thinking brain.

Kyriakos, if you want inspiration, check out Alien Planet illustrations.

7. Kyriakos

Thank you both :)

There was a short story by S.King, which mostly was not good in my view, but for a few pages it had a nice pace and it was about an alien entity living in the body of an ex-astronaut.
    The entity appears to have been manifesting itself through eye-like organs appearing in the person's infected hands, which he kept bandaged.

The eyes would kill anyone else who saw them.

Despite its intoduction being vastly pulp-fictionesque in the story, it has a very sad tone, and the ending is quite bleak indeed.

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I think there's also a sort of concept for a gas jellyfish alien, something like that...was that in MoO3?

9. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Yes, what Lillefix said. I wouldn't presume to put forward that X-COM came up with the idea of the Roswell greys 45 years after the fact. :D

Well then the question is, what do the masters of the greys look like in these myths? Are they, by chance, anything like this?

10. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I've always been fascinated with the yammosk, and the related dhuryams and shreeyam'tiz.

Tchurokk! Tchurokk Yun'tchilat!

11. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Probably Dalek's. Something about their former difficulty with stairs and need to have things explained to them.

12. Kyriakos

I recently saw an image of a dalek hovering above some stairs. That was very out of touch with the classic Dr Who :(

@VRWCAgent: Afaik most youtube circulating theories of this kind present the 'reptilians'/'draconians' as the manipulators of the 'grays'.
    It probably is due to the extrapolation of an original such theory, maybe by a former goalkeeper for an average English soccer team ;)

Btw, does anyone know when the first time a 'reptilian' alien race was mentioned, in terms of this facet of 'popular culture'?

13. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Daleks don't need to go upstairs. They simply destroy the building.

I know someone with a Dalek fetish. Which is interesting, though weird, to say the least.

Yet, Daleks are just a common-or-garden mix of pepper shaker, tank and Nazi. So, there's that to consider.

Kyriakos likes this.
  14. bhsup

bhsup Deity

15. Kyriakos

16. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

17. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

The perception is usually of a reptilian or "Lizzie" sort.

18. Kyriakos

The 'reptilians' don't look interesting though :(

19. MilesGregarius

MilesGregarius Half-baked Renegade

I believe it was Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke that had an intelligent species develop on a planet with such heavy gravity that they could only think in two dimensions, having no concept of "up."

The original version of the Traveller RPG had the k'kree who were six-limbed herbivores somewhat analogous to centaurs that were such militant vegetarians that they destroyed the ecosystems of planets that they colonized because they felt compelled to eradicate all carnivorous life forms they encountered.

Even stranger were the hivers, highly intelligent mute, five-limbed scavengers who also built a star empire.

Stranger yet are the jgd-il-jagd gigantic, tentacled gas bags that evolved in the atmosphere of a gas giant that could produce avatars of themselves in close approximation to other species they had met in order to interact with them. They traded biological products that they produced within their own bodies with the off-worlders who came to visit.

20. Kyriakos

Thanks :) Is there any drawn depiction of the Childhood's End aliens you first mentioned?