Most interesting game?

cairnsy44

Gooner - first class
I like games which have a lot of diplomacy in them. My most recent game had 8 civs. The map was random and turned out to be continents (2). I was playing on Emperor with one of JFD's excellent mods as Lincoln. Shared my landmass with Siam, Rome, Korea and Egypt. The other one had Germany, Carthage and Austria. Siam was pretty close to me so I knew we would have to fight at some point. I was not planning on going for a domination win. I have had too many of those lately. Siam began to forward settle me and then told me I was encroaching on their turf. Built up my army and crushed them, bribing Korea to join me. Korea took Siam's last city to wipe them out. I took 3, including the capital. So Korea and I are best friends. Rome is expanding like mad and has a large army, so I make sure I improve my military. I bribe Rome to attack Korea. They have a very long war with some cities switching hands. Korea captures one of Rome's CS allies. I join in when Rome starts sending settlers deep into my lands (and not close to his own) and he disregards my warning. Since I don't want to get a warmonger label, I take only one city of note. But a bit later, I get asked by everyone: Germany, Egypt, Carthage and Korea to join them against Rome. And those Roman settlers are back, so I do it. Austria is Rome's BFF, so they hate me. Feeling is mutual. They are the largest civ out there with Rome #2. Carthage and Germany declare on Austria too. WW1. I decide Rome needs to be crushed and take almost all of their cities. They had so many that I only go minor Warmonger hate for them. After the fall of Rome and Antium, we make peace. Korea takes his last city and razes it. Bye Rome. So Korea has wiped out 2 civs, but both Germany and Carthage somehow like them more than me, despite my sharing intrigue with them. I returned some workers to Korea, so they liked me, but once I went Freedom (I had first dibs on an Ideology), Korea and her Crazy Gang all went Order. Austria went Autocracy. Thankfully, Egypt went Freedom as well and eased up on the Missionaries and Prophets originally sent my way. (A declaration of war and a captured prophet convinced them of that a number of years earlier). So Korea and pals denounce me. The usual: Different Ideology, Competing for the same CS, Were denounced by my best chum, etc. Despite the number of years we were all in a DoF. Korea had built a sizable army and a bigger navy again. They were smaller than me but were my closest rival in both proximity and tech. I knew by now that I could get a Tech win. I was also in contention for a diplo win, but wanted that as option 2. Pair up with Egypt and declare on Korea. I capture a former Siamese city and bring them back to life. But it was so much fun with the personalities this time. Many times, I never see anyone declare war except for one or two crazies. The 2 World Wars I had were "fun". (Had to put that in quotes. Seemed wrong to do otherwise.)
I am sure many of you have had games that were fun in that manner. I would love to hear about them. Please share?

I did a culture victory on an Earth map with Carthage. I stayed good friends with every neighbor, barely fought any wars, never annexed or puppeted, and was Influential with every civ except one before the Modern era. That last civ was Persia, who had all of North America to himself and a frightening amount of culture. I calculated how long it would take to overcome him with tourism and realized it wouldn't be soon enough to beat before Korea finished the Space Ship.

So I built dozens of atomic bombs and nuked the entire North American continent into a radioactive dust pile. Conquered Persia's last city a few turns after the notification that Korea had finished their 4th Space Ship part. Instantly won cultural because Persia no longer existed.

The interesting part? I looked at my calendar and realized it was July 4th. I spent my Independence day dropping virtual nuclear bombs on American soil.

In my first Deity domination game, I managed to create a huge iron curtain ranging from the south pole (Sweden's former capital) up to the north pole (Russia's former capital). Every war was fantastic and to this day I've yet to finish the game, not wanting to tarnish the memory. Also, Spain looks very big, very scary and keeps occupying this one city state between us I'm constantly forced to liberate.

I love games with large lakes with choke points connecting them, and then placing cities on the choke points so my naval units can have a impact deep into the land mass.

I wish they would make a Wonder (Panama Canal) that would allow one tile connection per Era...

It would make games like this possible more often,...instead of just getting lucky on the map. :smug:

Way back on vanilla, I was playing as Persia. Not just too far into the game, I got attacked by the Ottomans. I repulsed their forces and eventually made peace. But their was a bigger enemy lurking. Japan further to the north had grown extremely large and powerful. They dow'd me and the Ottomans both. They sent an army at me, which I beat back. But still, I didn't do anything to weaken their vast empire. They began attacking the Ottomans, and even though I didn't like them, I sent my forces to help the Ottomans, knowing they were the only thing standing between me and the full might of Japan. Despite our combined forces, Japan defeated both of our armies and pretty much conquered the Ottomans.

Japan then turned its attention to me. After a brutal struggle, I was all but defeated. But I ended up quitting before they completely destroyed me.

Strangely enough, that was one of the funnest games I've ever played on Civ5. I was forced into an "alliance of convenience" with the Ottomans, and Japan still defeated us both.

Probably my most interesting games were when I did a Renaissance start, and the one when Siam DOW'ed me right when I was building spaceship parts, so I purchased a nuke for like 2k and knocked off a LOT of his units in one go. That was no more Siam threat.

Probably my most interesting games were when I did a Renaissance start, and the one when Siam DOW'ed me right when I was building spaceship parts, so I purchased a nuke for like 2k and knocked off a LOT of his units in one go. That was no more Siam threat.

I remember that you started a thread about that a couple of years ago. That was hilarious. :nuke:

Link for those who haven't read that: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=457047

Top Bottom