1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Meh Events

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Tlalynet, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Tlalynet

Tlalynet Chieftain

We have the best, we have the worst, but it just wouldnt be realistic if there whernt events that make you say "Why are you even bothering a great emporer like myself with this?"
    To me these are:
    Road Washed away. I can see the potential danger but I always have workers build tonnes of roads once their important work is done, never hurt me yet
    One Time culture bonus. Its only happened in already developed citys and the max bonus I've seen is +450, even when I play for cultural vicotry this saves 0-1 turns.
    +1 to anything with less than 100 turns left. 5 turns left, your library now produces +1 Science, Yay!

2. KaytieKat

KaytieKat Chieftain

Hi

My most "meh" event was -I forget the reason why- getting plus 2 commercre on a plain empty desert square.

Kaytie

3. Tlalynet

Tlalynet Chieftain

LOL, Thats terrible!

4. Grimz101

Grimz101 Chieftain

Quest to build 7 triemes on a Pangea map :crazyeye:
    why couldnt i get build 7 axe men :goodjob:

5. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I don't see how anyone could get something worse than KaytieKat. Still, I think that I once had a forest burn down in the 1700s, and I had to pay 10 gold to replant it. Woop-de-doo, my GDP was over 3000.

6. Nay

Nay Chieftain

Holy Mountain.

it was so deep in the Eternal Ice (tm) that not even an AI settled there.
    It was surrounded by ice.
    Not a single workable tile.

built a city right next to it to get it into borders, than gifted it to someone else (grats on maintenance).

7. 18lama

18lama Chieftain

The mines near my capital city are always collapsing...there are like more than 30 or so mined tiles in my civ but only the mines near my capital city suffer from collapse...:confused: :crazyeye:

8. Nay

Nay Chieftain

Also having slave revolts in your capital (is it capital only? seems to me) when youhave, in fact, never slaved there.

9. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

i wondered about that, if you'd keep the reward for completing the quest even if you lost the actual HolyMountainVille City. my first BtS game (still not finished yet) i got that quest and the mountain was waaaay far away, but i did it, had to see what i'd get! i suppose you kept the bonus even without the city? good to know! and good idea to gift it away ;).

poor KaytieKat!

i've never had a slave revolt, and i was in slavery a long time, still going back to it at times. i'm not exactly what they do, but i can tell they're bad things, so i don't mind not having them!

10. winddbourne

winddbourne Chieftain

kaytiekat's post does remind me of one annoying thing about civ IV. LOL

This is the version of the game with the MOST useless tiles. Deserts give you nothing, mountains give you nothing and you can't move over them or build cities on them . . . bloody annyoing.

As for the most blah events . . . anything that gives me a "bonus" to a square outside ALL my city Radius is . . . useless.

11. sneaky

sneaky Chieftain

One of the most meh random events is the quest of the Holy Sea or whatever, you know the one where you need to settle cities on X landmasses to get some sort of useless reward. Every time I get that I go "Oh really? You want me to settle cities on 12 landmasses? That's cool, but you know, I rather just like WIN THE BLOODY GAME!" :lol:

EDIT: I mean the quest of the Blessed Sea.

12. a_civilian

a_civilian Chieftain

A teammate in a multiplayer game got +2 commerce on a peak tile. I asked him whether he was able to work it but can't remember the answer :(

13. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

oh another! i haven't tried OCC yet in BtS, but i've heard that the events/quests triggered don't vary at all. so you get quests to build X number of theatres and you literally have no way of doing that, must be frustrating and meh!

14. CivDude86

CivDude86 Chieftain

A miracle was performed in my city walls and I chose the +1:gold: option but they were already obsolete so I got nothing.

15. Chris1111

Chris1111 Lurker

Not sure if this counts but how about all the darn plane crashes that happen after flight and airports are built.

Seems like every year one of my passenger liners crashes into an AI territory and they either give me access for + to my relations or refuse for a - to my relations. I don't get any options to improve airline safety or fire pilots or something else :p. It was literally happening all the time in one of my games.

16. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Chariot Combat I promotion just before economical crackdown and STRIKE. I know, shouldn't happen, but some events (bot vassalization wars) made me make a whole 800-years war, which i, eh, lost.

Anyways, all chariots lost.

17. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

When I get that plus 2 commerce, it always seems to be outside any city I have, on a spot which simply can't be exploited unless I build a city at a very unsuitable lcoation.

18. alva848

alva848 nothing on my mind!!!

Corrects. In my latest OCC, I had to build several harbours, not easy with just the one city. :D
    I can understand them not bothering to rewrite all events to accomodate every single possibility though.

19. Jedoc

Jedoc Chieftain

Well, it's not always bad. A few games ago, I got it on an oasis square in my capital city radius before I'd even built my third city. How many other random events give you a +14% boost to your empire's tech rate? ;)

20. Tlalynet

Tlalynet Chieftain

My slave revolts almost always happen in my camptial no matter where I slaved too, but to me at least its one of the worst effects and is kind of balancing to the slavery advantage. -1 Pop and 1 turn of Rev in what is usualy both my most productive and most scientific city (because it happens early game)
    Mining disasters can be meh but they seem to happen dispropotiately much on precious recourse tiles.
    Plus 2 commerce on a PEAK? WTF? At least in desert there is a chance of oil later... True about so many unharvestable tiles, Pheonix AZ is all desert and they have no problem improving the terran...
    Cant airline crashes give you scientific advances if your primitive and EP's if your sneaky? Oddly enough I havent goten that event.
    Bonuses to tiles you will never have a city near would suck, Thankfully ive never had the quest for the holy mountain, sounds like a dead end. Any undoable quest would be extremely irritating esp if your about to age advance or on OCC.
    That reminds me, any Hostile Takeover quest has been frustrating for me, not because you have to go to war to get them but because when you take the city its radius goes to 0 and the neibour always gets it first even though I took the city and my city wil, expand to get the resource, I wind up doing it for my opponent.