Most misunderstood Civ

metamike

Warlord
Can you guess what the least used Civ is for their often as reffered to "Horrific UU, and pointless traits" is?

America.

I think this is a complete lie! I don't think there's an easier civ to start out with in Deity when playing Vanilla.

One of the worst parts of playing Deity is getting through the Ancient Age because of slow tech speed, and America fixes all that!

Exploration gives the ability to get through the first half of the AA, by scouting techs no one yet has, and starting out with Masonary and Pottery gives you the ability to basically recieve every one of the first techs by trading and re-trading.

Their Industrious trait lets you at the same time breeze through the second half ot the Ancient Age when scouting becomes almost fully obsolete in terms of finding huts - since the insane sums of units the AI starts out with gets spread out and pops all of the huts - by giving you the ability to quickly improve all of your tiles, making your cities grow quickly giving you a variety of ways to with your fast production and growth get those techs:

War

Commerce

Trading

And you can even try to catch up the aldder yourself by putting all that fast growth into coastal cities with lots of sea commerce, and grassland cities with lots of taxmen.

=/ Silly civs, trix are fo---erm...Deity is for America!

Ind is a much stronger trait in vanilla than it is in C3C. Expansion is game dependent. It is great on a pangea at most levels, but sucks on an island.

The UU is of no consequences, just does not help you.

Everyone has their opinion about the civs, so it is hard to say the most misunderstood civ.

I think England is often misunderstood as well. I'm not too fond of them in vanilla but in conquests they're a great industrial age civ. Never have I made more money than playing with England.

I can't say I like America too much. Those early goody huts are nice but other civs seem to catch up over time.

No, but Portugal comes pretty close. Seafaring and expansionist work at cross purposes--seafaring is most useful on archi, expansionist on pangaea. And so you get a carrack, big deal.

Yeah, Portugal would have to be worse :)

No UU and no traits in a way.

Play them on continents with lots of ocean. They are 3rd tier, but playable. and the traits given are actually accurate, if you are talking 15th century Portugal. Ask yourself why Brazilians speak Portuguese?

Oh, and while we're talking misunderstood (read sucky), how about them Hittites? The 3mc is expensive and no better than horsemen at a higher price. And then they lose against unfortified spearmen on grassland...

^Umm, Hittities, well. Some people might like them but IMO the 3M chariot is just as good as a horseman if not worse. And they're traits aren't the best either. They're OK, I guess. :D

Hitties have nice traits, really. Expansionist is nice for huts early on, and commercial rocks. Problem is the traits don't work well with each other :lol:

3MC is map dependant, can be great or useless.

IMO they're hard to play, but not extremely. Easier than playing with a naked civ :lol:

EDIT: by they in the second sentence, I meant the traits. Sentence edited.

Portugal gets scouts. They get fast ships. They get extra commerce in coastal cities. They can build granaries right off. They start with alphabet and can fairly easy get the slingshot.

I actually agree with the fact that America is the most misunderstood civ. The Portuguese's traits aren't that bad and their unique unit comes much earlier in the game. I only use America in future start games where quick expansion and quick workers are the most important thing you need to win. I use Portugal much more often.

Can you guess what the least used Civ is for their often as reffered to "Horrific UU, and pointless traits" is?

America.

I think this is a complete lie! I don't think there's an easier civ to start out with in Deity when playing Vanilla.

One of the worst parts of playing Deity is getting through the Ancient Age because of slow tech speed, and America fixes all that!

Exploration gives the ability to get through the first half of the AA, by scouting techs no one yet has, and starting out with Masonary and Pottery gives you the ability to basically recieve every one of the first techs by trading and re-trading.
Expansionist is an almost useless trait on Deity. You might get one tech from a goody hut. Perhaps a settler who will somehow have to get home. The one real advantage is that contacts come quickly on Pangeas, but the human should be good at getting them with warriors instead of scouts anyway. You will get them slightly sooner with scouts but not much. For one things, warriors are more likely to survive.

Their Industrious trait lets you at the same time breeze through the second half ot the Ancient Age
This, of course, is true of any industrious civ including those that have a second useful trait or an actual UU. Actually every one of the other Industrious civs - China, Egypt, Persia and France - is better than America. I might be willing to accept an argument that America is fifth although I think I would give that honour to the Greeks. In PTW, both the Carthaginians and Ottomans are clearly superior. IMO, the Koreans are too.

In C3C, of course, they are far further down the list. Ision was very generous to rank them as second-rate.

Portugal is severley underated I do believe. They are one of my personal favorite civs. The traits do have disynergy, but when one looks at it, when are both the best? Early game. Portugal can have some explosive starts and is one of the best tech traders in the game, IMO. Archipelago maps are pretty bad for them, continents are superb, and Pangaes are managable. The UU sucks pretty hard, but the starting techs are very nice.

Abeg, this is how my last game went if you believe Scouts are useless.

Start out with Pottery and Masonary.

Scout around, trade and re-trade for Bronze Working and Warrior code.

Find Ceremonial Burial.

Find a civ without half of my techs, but with Iron Working, trade for Ironworking.

Trade IronWorking to all my other known civs for Writing, Mystisism, and plenty of moolah.

There, I'm already half-way through the tech tree by using 1 scout and having tech slider at 0%.

Top Bottom