1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most number of people to declare war on you?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ianfuture, May 21, 2009.

1. ianfuture

ianfuture Chieftain

Hi,

Just coming to the end of a game, about 30 turns left, and now I'm just at war with one nation, however before I nucked the feck out of everyone, I was at war with 6 nations, all who decalred on me in the space of 2 or 3 turns. Too far away across the sea to go and invade, just had to defend against their puny invasion fleets, and nuke their big cities.

Anyway I was curious if others ever had this happen? Multiple nations declaring war within a turn or so of each other.

Interestingly one, Mansa, I paid to go to war against Vikings. An an event led to war stopping, but then Mansa waited a few turns before decalring on me , he agreed to go to peace after i nuked everyone, and his relationship with me was still pleased! Although he was only one I didn't nuke

Thanks..
    I.

2. Redcoat Captain

Redcoat Captain Leader of the Redcoats!

5 (But it was my fault. I failed to check for defensive pacts/allianced before attacking)

I was geared up for war with one Civ, attacked the city and the toot of the war horns sounded. Up popped a message box telling me X Civ had declared war on me. Upon closing the 5th box, i began to realise the depth of my mistake. Sure enough, i was promptly beset on all sides and removed from the map :lol:

3. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant The Voice in Your Head Moderator

I played a RoM game a while back and got dogpiled by the whole world. There were 13 civs including the little semi-barbarian ones. I made the "I'll found my own religion, who cares that everyone else is a Buddhist?" mistake. It was shortly after Astronomy on a two continent map. Wave after wave of incoming troops...

Yup. I gave that one up early. :(

4. arikajohnson

arikajohnson Chieftain

I've had 2 or 3 at a time. I remember it, it was about a year ago. I was ready though. One resulted in a peace treaty and the other I eliminated. Thankfully that peace treaty came when it did. They were mad at my beliefs and the fact that I didn't stop trading with their enemy. I never stop trading with Ghandi though, so I just couldn't do it.

5. Lemon Merchant

I never trade with Gandhi, unless it's my Axemen for his cities. :D

Seriously though, he's such a tech-monster in my games that I have to take him out early. The benefit to that is I have less competition for land and tech, and he's usually kind enough to found a couple of early religions for me. (And sometimes a Shrine or two! :))

6. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

All of them. Guess I should have given up theocracy and my heathen religion, kissed the pope's ring and let him rule the world in the next election.

7. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

I was hunkered down for a space-race victory once when, out of the blue, Willem, Zara, and Zara's two vassals all bum-rushed me. I had a defensive pact with Lincoln that I figured was safe because he had a whole mini-continent to himself and was the #2 power in the world thanks to his mass and all the tech swapping between me and him. Willem and him had been sparring the whole game, but apparently Willem bribed Zara into DoWing Lincoln, which brought me in to the conflict.

I had wiped the Khmer off my continent previously, so all my enemies were off-continent. But there was a massive air war between me and Zara, there only a few squares of sea between our landmasses. I ended up with some Combat4 jet fighters and some bombed out tiles. He suicided a lot of his troops trying naval invasions, but that was all that came of it. After the requisit turns we made peace and he went back to being pleased with me. :dunno:

Buuuut yeah, thats hardly exciting compared to having 13 other civs come at ya :p

8. Lemon Merchant

I don't recall that afternoon being all that exciting at the time. :lol:

Frustrating? Oh yes! :D

9. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

lol yeah been there... had me a great culture game going recently when Brennus decided to be Brennus and declare a holy war against me and my pitifully neglected military.

I let it play out just to see how bad it would be. His two rediculous HA/cat/GW stacks crushed my 1-axe/1-archer defences, captured two shrine/wonder-cities in three turns and were bearing down on my single-spearman defended capital four turns after that. I quit before the inevitable happened :blush::cry:

I even loaded the auto-saves from before the attack and tried everything to thwart it but it was like living groundhog day each time :p Lousy hostile neighbors...

10. Shackel

Shackel Still a Settler D:

Everyone.

Never bribe someone to go against the man with 5 vassals. EVAR.

11. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

5, due to defensive pacts in the Earth1000AD scenario.

Isabella, Elizabeth, Charlemagne, and Peter DOW'd on me when I declared war on Justinian. Nothing big (Infantry versus Knights! Oh teh horrors!), but did make logistics hell.

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The entire world.

It was an ugly game. The kind where one AI has all civs except you as his vassal...

I was surprised the stupid AI bothered. I held off OK in the war, but of course lost UN the instant the RNG decided on attempting that resolution...

13. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

I played the King of the Hill scenario, so I started the game with 4 AI's declaring war on me.

14. ianfuture

ianfuture Chieftain

Interesting stories guys. :)

Just thought I'd let you knwo i managed to finish the game last night, but didn't win, with about 15 turns left. Asoka, who played a very good game, won the space race, while I was on course to win a points victory. 15 turns ! Damn.

Is there anyway you can stop a space ship from reaching its destination once launched?

Ian

15. ston

ston Warlord

Everyone (five or six other civs) - I switched to Emancipation way before any of the AI had teched it, so they all got rather upset about this and declared on me :)

16. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Capture/Raze their Capital.

17. ianfuture

ianfuture Chieftain

That's what I thought. It was too far away for me to even consider getting there in time. Ah well, chalk it down to experience then!

:)

18. Foamy7

Foamy7 Mmm... Donuts...

8, in my first Monarch game. The same "found my own religion" mistake mentioned earlier. I founded Conf. on a Pangaea map, and got dogpiled within about 15 turns.

That one made me give up Civ for almost a week (my wife made me do it!)

19. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

Sometimes it's best not to switch into the religion you founded, at least not right away. However, founding a religion will give you the opportunity to spread to a target, use a spy to switch religion (you'll have to temporarily switch religions as well), and then bribe someone to DOW.

20. Capt Ajax

Capt Ajax Warlord

6 on a huge island map with 17 other CIVS.