[GS] Most OP Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Pure24, Jun 24, 2019.

1. incroc

incroc Chieftain

I'm a sucker for the civs with benefits to theater squares and campuses. Korea, Greeks and Australia. Even Japan.

For domination, the easiest game I've had has been with Mongolia.

Not sure about any of those being OP though, just great.

I don't play archipelago much, but good naval civs on water maps tends to be autopilot wins.

2. Pure24

Pure24 Warlord

Well, to be honest I did use your guide! The updated one, I mean.. it really helped me on the part with the aqueducts, it did not come to me that their +2 adjacency could count towards hansa.
    I couldn't place canals or a dam and that's why I went with aqueducts.

As for runaway civs, yeah... Mali. Nobody beats Mali on the gold game. I mean, you can try if you like. You're welcome to fail. Ever tried being economic allies with AI Mali and sending a trade route?
    Basically, if Mali is in the game, send spies there to siphon gold.

But you've got my mind changed guys; Korea in science! This was Rise and Fall though, but I remember once playing some peaceful non-optimised-strategy game. So I'm in the Renaissance Era when I finally meet Korea (needed Cartography to cross the ocean - it was continents).
    And I'm like, wait a minute. Machine guns? Korea is in the Atomic Era? Oh no, they were in the Information Era! They'd landed on the moon and everything.
    I could only watch as they won. A slow crawl with that previous Mars bit, but Korea man. Eish

Sostratus likes this.
  3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Korea is one of the only Civs that just makes me roll my eyes as soon as I see that they're in my game (that includes if I'm playing them, as I usually randomize my own Civ). They're one of the few Civs I can't risk trying to just contain, I have to crush them as quickly as I can (or hope the AI does it for me). The only direct counter to a Science Victory is violence - otherwise, you can't slow their progress, you can only race them to the finish line. The 'soft' counter to a Tourism Victory is generating Culture of your own; the counter to a Religious Victory is spreading other religions (any will do, you don't need to have founded a religion yourself); the counter to the Diplomatic Victory is money; and of course the counter to the Domination Victory is a good army. And Science is one of the things that powers everything else, so it's both a route to victory and a means to every other victory.

MisterBoomBoom and Pure24 like this.
  4. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

I find it funny that for all the crazy warmonger civs in the game, the one civ where the AI always becomes a runaway is the one that's programmed to spam campuses. (It doesn't hurt that the seowon is amazing, but every deity strat is some version of campus spam.) If you look at the AI domestic economy, they love spamming their unique district if they have one. For people who like to say "This game is too EZ. OCC deity permawar isn't even a challenge for me..." I bet some modders could shut them up fast by programming more AI personalities to campus spam too.

:love: Very happy to hear someone actually used it!
    I'm probably going to make a similar, truncated one for regular IZs since they play very similar now.
    Always looking for feedback or ways to improve descriptions/graphics/etc!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
    Pure24 likes this.
  5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

As always I vote for Scotland (though I admit I haven't played them post GS). Science and production is better than science alone. The only downside is they are a slow starter, so if you care about fast victories Scotland isn't that great (though I've beaten my Korea science victory times every single time- but this was R&F). Korea and Germany are also up there for peaceful play style. Should be noted all 3 civs are for playing peaceful, meaning no conquering of cities. Civs like Nubia are grossly overpowered if you plan on taking out a few civs.

6. incroc

incroc Chieftain

Coincidentally, this makes Korea the best neighbour to have in the game. You always get good cities, compared to crap +1 holy sites from Indonesia or Poland or 100 encampments from Shaka.

Just don't wait until they've got the Hwacha.

Sostratus likes this.
  7. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Hwachas in a city or encampment are a horror to deal with. But England expects every man to do his duty... Sometimes that means getting impaled by giant firework arrows, for Queen and Country. I lose so many units to those stupid hwachas.

I also find greece to be a huge culture run away, although that doesn't result in fighting off hwachas, so it's okay.

8. pkaem

pkaem Warlord

Korea is only a problem early, when you catch the ball and throw it back midgame they are okay to deal with. Deity is really only a problem to survive early while being greedy as fudge.

9. Jerovich

Jerovich Chieftain

My vote goes for Trajan:

- Free monuments. You can invest all your production into settlers and troops, meet no early inspirations and get Political Philosophy on turn 50. Pretty strong snowball capability.

- Legions. A warrior + 150 gold + 10 iron and there you get a 40 str. melee unit that can repair pillaged tiles, build a fort or chop some trees for you. Awesome.

- Baths. You don't even need a granary. They provide the necessary housing to reach pop 10 and grant you 1 amenity per city (I'm in love with the +20% growth / +10% to all yields from Ecstatic).

- Roads and trading posts. Early mobility for your troops and those posts anywhere you found a city. Great for both military and commerce stuff.

Special mention to Pericles and his insane culture rushing ability, and Genghis with his horses everywhere (maybe the nerf to battering rams will upsed him a bit).

footslogger likes this.
  10. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Korea, and Dido.

11. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Indonesia is better than Dido.

12. jozef57

jozef57 Warlord

i think it depends on your play style. i am now playing all civs in a row. to find out which ones suit my playstyle the best,, but in general germany/korea are super strong as was mansa musa i killed it playing him.. but also with cleo i had a real good and relative easy run, with high scores for me in gs for both of them

13. anandus

anandus Errorist

Also good for your IZs

14. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

If the question is "who's most OP?" with no stipulations its definitely going to be an early rush civ, Sumeria, Aztec, Nubia, Rome, Maori, Macedon, etc. Civ VI is still slanted towards whoever claims the most land. Even when playing "peacefully" I hyper expand early on and gobble a few neighbors at least until the medieval era, sometimes into the Renaissance. Korea just isn't set up for that.

If it's for no rush starts I do like Korea, Germany, Australia and even Scotland (production and science? yes please.)

GoodSarmatian likes this.
  15. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

I'm surprised nobody thinks the Zulu are OP anymore. Even with the latest nerfs to warmongering, my latest Zulu game is still an ez mode sweep.

Socrates99 likes this.
  16. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I think it's a combination of the time it takes them to get their armies online and anti-cavalry units not being that great. Still their ability to grab an early great general csn be fun... Just compared to Nubia or Suneria they are slow...

17. pkaem

pkaem Warlord

They are quite strong. Impi is okay, now even more because of rams and stuff. But the early corps and armys are a real advantage. But dimination, and only domination. Wring start, no target = handycap.

18. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I think I could argue that the mongols do the zulu thing better, mostly becuase cav are great

19. footslogger

footslogger Warlord

I am currently preparing an in-depth report, full of previously unacknowledged but perceptive insights, to show that Tamar of Georgia is by far the most OP civ. Loading, please wait...

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm not holding my breath.