[R&F] Most pressing issue?

Tech Osen

Emperor
Apart from the combat AI, which I acknowledge as a hard issue to tackle, the thing that gets on my nerves the most atm is early game city-state annihilation. I'm not sure why but it just annoys the heck out of me.
Wondering what other ppl's most pressing issues are.

Air force, as in the AI's lack of building and using one.

Partly because it rolls a number of niggling issues into one topic:
  • Hard building modern units (like airplanes) are overpriced, in my mind, compared to building ancient units that you then continually upgrade.
  • The late game plays pretty much the same as the mid-game, including the warfare, which doesn't undergo an interesting transformation in the airforce era the way Civ 5 did.
  • The AI is insufficiently aggressive and dangerous on attack after the Ancient era.
  • There are few reasons to build Aerodromes. They don't add to your commerce or tourism, so other than the Eurekas, you really only want them in order to build planes. But you don't need planes because the AI doesn't deploy an airforce you need to defend against. Making them totally optional, which would come as a surprise to most modern governments.
  • I feel the development team has not sufficiently prioritized optimizing what the AI builds in different circumstances and how the AI then uses the military units it builds. Building a ton of Aerodromes and then few to no airplanes is a symptom, I think, of this broader lack of attention at the senior development team level.

Apart from the combat AI, which I acknowledge as a hard issue to tackle, the thing that gets on my nerves the most atm is early game city-state annihilation. I'm not sure why but it just annoys the heck out of me.
Wondering what other ppl's most pressing issues are.

I agree that combat AI is the most pressing issue. On the other hand, early game city-state annihilation is completely fine by me, why would you be nervous about this? As long as the most pressing issue is unresolved, the city states captured by AI are just there for you to liberate a bit later and do away with all that warmongering baggage you've had a misfortune to accumulate. Unless you see it as a whitewashing exploit (which it kinda is, considering the most pressing issue).

Most pressing issue? Releasing the DLL source code of course !

Because once it's done, we'll still have to get used to it before we can really start "fixing" whatever we think needs to be fixed first, and that alone will take some months...

Because once it's done, we'll still have to get used to it before we can really start "fixing" whatever we think needs to be fixed first, and that alone will take some months...

Couldn't agree more. I've long since given up hope that Firaxis will ever fix the important stuff (they are far too busy nerfing England and then buffing it the next patch:rolleyes:). So the decent thing to do would at least be giving modders the tools to do the job they clearly can't.

The game is pretty good overall.

What it needs is some balancing, polishing, and fleshing out.

Most of the things I’d like to see are in my signature. But, a few key things.

- I don’t actually think the AI is a priority. Yes, I wish it was better. And it has some big gaps, like using planes. But it’s okay for now. It really is. I certainly does okay in the early game, and is still challenging in the mid game if you play on higher difficulties and don’t cheese the game too much (eg found a religion, don’t use overflow). At the moment, I think the AI would just benefit from some more freebies as the game progresses, rather than just at the start. eg some of their unique units for free, and or anti cav when you declare war on them, or knights when they declare war. And no more settling wihout coast or fresh water.

- Balance. Some Civs need a big overhaul because they’re rubbish or boring (England, America, Georgia, maybe India (Dharma is awful)). But lots more need a little buff to make them shine. It’s good for some Civs to be more powerful than others. But they should all be fun. This is the one thing that’s really putting me off at the moment, although is something maybe I could mod (sigh... but I don’t really want to play a modded game...).

- Spears and Pikes, Heavy Cav, Walls and Rams need another look too. Agoge was a big step forward, for Spears and Pikes but cost to damage ratios are still not quite right. Military Tactics also needs to be more meaningful. So do all the unique Medieval Melee unit’s.

- Polish. This seems to be happening slowly, eg joint wars and CBs. But there’s lots of stuff. Aerodromes need another look - there needs to be some connection to tourism. Holy sites need to be able to boost artists (maybe a policy card). There should be some more city buildings, like the water mill, but for other bonus resources (eg stoneworks for stone). Take another look at adjacencies: eg IZs should maybe give bonuses to Harbours and CHs. Cities on foreign continents should be more valuable. You shouldn’t be able to see the names / faces of other Civs Governors - just a generic image and their title. Amani looks like a clone...

- Top of my list for polishing though are the Tier 1 Government Buildings. They just seem random and all over the place. See my signature: they should all have some unified qualities (eg they all give + / - to loyalty in some situations), and they should give you an extra legacy card rather than a permanent ability (eg. a Tradition, Liberty, or Honour Legacy Card).

- Fleshing out. This is stuff I’d want to see in an expansion. You should be able to recruit religious people throughout the game. Court Houses, a Palace Upgrade, some sort of Village so you can sprawl your city more. World Congress fits here.

- Top priority: filling up the map. Maybe city states could settle one or two satellite cities if there’s space near them. Maybe barbs could spawn free cities, and these cities could join up with other free cities. Even in the late game, there is too much empty space. And the battle between great powers doesn’t feel that great when there isn’t enough smaller people to push around. I’m not sure what something like this would do to turn times though.

Last edited:
It is absurd that the game can't load a map created with the Worldbuilder. I cannot understand how it is that Firaxis have not noticed this and fixed it.

Balance. Sick of useless unique units, useless spears and pikes, and OP knights and rams.

This. Totally this.

(Man. I wish my posts were this pithy.)

Anyway. I’d really like to play the bejezzus out of Norway and Japan. But problems with uniques, Military Tactics and Pikes, make it feel like you’re only playing half a civ.

- Spears and Pikes, Heavy Cav, Walls and Rams need another look too. Agoge was a big step forward, for Spears and Pikes but cost to damage ratios are still not quite right. Military Tactics also needs to be more meaningful. So do all the unique Medieval Melee unit’s.

I'd do one of two things:
1) Move the Military Tactics tech after Construction, and before Military Engineering. Alternatively;
2) Move Pikeman to Military Engineering, then move Military Tactics to the Civics tree between Military Training and Mercenaries. With Military Tactics as a Civic tech I would give it access to:
- Huey Teocalli.
- Professional Army: Moved from Mercenaries.
- 1 Envoy.
Either of those two would at least put Pikeman within the main tree, so they might actually see more use.

Agree with this. But this is pretty sad that modders have to do Firaxis' job...

Late game as a whole, but in particular, micromanaging the dozens of units you have by that point in the game.

I'm not one of those people who constantly compares Civ 6 to Civ 4. But I did just play a game of Civ 4 just for my own comparison purposes, and it's remarkable how much faster a turn plays in that game compared to Civ 6. Dragging units around the map is just not fun to me. The main thing stopping me from crushing all my rival civs with my military isn't that I can't do it, its that I can't bear the micromanagement of moving all those units.

Air force, as in the AI's lack of building and using one.

Partly because it rolls a number of niggling issues into one topic:
  • Hard building modern units (like airplanes) are overpriced, in my mind, compared to building ancient units that you then continually upgrade.
  • The late game plays pretty much the same as the mid-game, including the warfare, which doesn't undergo an interesting transformation in the airforce era the way Civ 5 did.
  • The AI is insufficiently aggressive and dangerous on attack after the Ancient era.
  • There are few reasons to build Aerodromes. They don't add to your commerce or tourism, so other than the Eurekas, you really only want them in order to build planes. But you don't need planes because the AI doesn't deploy an airforce you need to defend against. Making them totally optional, which would come as a surprise to most modern governments.
  • I feel the development team has not sufficiently prioritized optimizing what the AI builds in different circumstances and how the AI then uses the military units it builds. Building a ton of Aerodromes and then few to no airplanes is a symptom, I think, of this broader lack of attention at the senior development team level.
Totally in agreement with this!

The main thing stopping me from crushing all my rival civs with my military isn't that I can't do it, its that I can't bear the micromanagement of moving all those units.

Planning and executing attacks and defence is my favourite part of Civ 5 & 6 warfare. One person's micromanagement is another person's fun.

The developers have created some great combined arms elements to the Civ 6 unit lists. As others have mentioned, it's just a shame that the balance in practice is out of whack with the theory. That's as much a reflection of production costs as it is relative military strength, i.e. the wargame design is pretty good, the economic design behind fielding the various units needs a re-think.

Just played two games after a long break and I totally forgot about allied units standing still in your territory blocking workers and great people and what not. If I didn't have a second coal source I might have actually had to declare war on a long standing ally.

For me it is late game performance on turn times and the fact that not much is happening. Improved air combat and more flavor like world council (civ 5 feature) would improve this. I would like to see emergency system enhanced and the thing that reminds me the most of this is the world council. In late game i would like to see more diplomacy options. Like economic warfare. So the game could use more flavor in last 2 era’s of the game and bit extra till victory.

For me: fix the late game drag and the way to do this is to make AI build and use (a lot of) planes. And I would like to see a balanced late game battle e.g my tank army fighting other tanks instead of musketmen and cavalry.

Edit: oh and I would like naval combat as well

Last edited:
Well, apart from AI :)
  • Enhance the User Interface, especially regarding policy cards, regarding diplomacy (less clicks needed) and empire management (= decrease micromanagement needed)
  • Increase the background performance, a faster game is a better one.
  • Allow city states to have more than 1 quest. It‘s just obvious that window was designed for more than one...
  • Make deserts rough terrain, they should take some time to cross.
  • ... and decrease the amount of late game decisions, but that‘s really not as easily done.

Top Bottom