Most ridiculous Dungeon pop you've had?

aimlessgun

King
What is the most ridiculous/gamechanging/breaking dungeon reward you guys have popped?

My 2 so far are:
-Getting an Acolyte to found Order and then a Great Prophet on the next dungeon, and winning with Altar of the Lunnotaur as the godless Grigori.
-Dwarves vs. Lizardmen on turn 10 or so, coming out with two str 5 2 movement units that tamed any animal they came across. My animal army got so large I had to reduce my science slider to 0% for a while, but it didn't even matter at that point.

Can we count tribal villages into this? If so, I had gotten two settlers from two huts right next to where I started, so by turn 3 I had 3 cities.

[offtopic]Wow ... I never got a settler from a tribal village since 0.31 or something like that. They give me technical advantage, gold in masses, experience, scouts, warriors ... but NEVER any settlers (playing FFH2 quite regularly in the last months). Is there any factor which influences those random results?[/offtopic]

handicap setting. Only on a very low difficulty level you can get a free settler

handicap setting. Only on a very low difficulty level you can get a free settler

I was using RifE, so that might have been it. Or I have incredible luck (It wasn't due to difficulty, I believe I was on Monarch. Although I was just starting the game to test if my version was working, so it could have been chieftain. But still.)

Had a well promoted hunter so I thought I'll check that dungeon nearby and lo and behold an eidolon came out. I thought that only epic lairs can produce such "awesome" results.

Had a well promoted hunter so I thought I'll check that dungeon nearby and lo and behold an eidolon came out. I thought that only epic lairs can produce such "awesome" results.
Only epic (named) lairs give you an extreme results for sure; other lairs will have a small chance of the best or worst results, but only after a minimum number of turns have passed.

Only epic (named) lairs give you an extreme results for sure; other lairs will have a small chance of the best or worst results, but only after a minimum number of turns have passed.

my tactics is to send a scout to an epic dungeon in enemy land. illian if possible cause i hate statis. and many times i have unleashed an ogre or that burning crown thing in their lands. and this is the begining of the game mind you. strangely the barbs dont kill them. maybe its cause they start with about 7 warriors but still how can they defeat an ogre or a mistfit (whatever its name is)...

my tactics is to send a scout to an epic dungeon in enemy land. illian if possible cause i hate statis. and many times i have unleashed an ogre or that burning crown thing in their lands. and this is the begining of the game mind you. strangely the barbs dont kill them. maybe its cause they start with about 7 warriors but still how can they defeat an ogre or a mistfit (whatever its name is)...

Because they go for someone else on the other side of the world, but then by the time they get there they try to go for someone else, or they can put up resistance to the incursion.

Speaking of dungeons, is there an explanation somewhere regarding what the odds are and what the factors are? I remember some stuff from back when they were implemented, but I can't seem to find any details now.

I think that Recon units should have a better chance to get good results, Heroes an even better chance (and no chance for "crazy" results like dissapearing or becoming enraged), and Heroe Recon units practically should only get good results.

(im torn between not counting adventurers as heroes, not counting scouts as "recon" units for dungeon purposes, or simply allowing Grigori the adventurer-scout option because its a cool concept, (them being the best adventurers and all), of the grigori only benefitting from Lairs, primarily since they don't have too many cool benefits in other areas) -as in, at first it seems OP, but lack of Grigori Strength, Plus Cool flavor ... allows me to accept the possibility that recon-heroe = only good results will allow for the Grigori to only benefit from Lairs.

Of course, in that case I would probably wish for heroes to be unable to locate a religious figure unless that heroe followed a particular religion, in which case the only possible disciple result for an exploring Hero would be a disciple of that Hero's religion. (ergo no grigori adventurer scouts finding religion founders ... only golden ages, great people, and items, ect)

Speaking of dungeons, is there an explanation somewhere regarding what the odds are and what the factors are? I remember some stuff from back when they were implemented, but I can't seem to find any details now.

The game picks a random number 0-99 then adds the explorers level (higher level explorers get better results):

If the result is less than 14 you get a big bad result.
If it is 14-43 you get a bad result.
If it is 44-73 you get a neutral result.
If it is 74-93 you get a good result.
If it is 94 or higher you get a big good result.

What exactly the result is depends on a lot of things including how far into the game you are, the characters specifics, the type of lair being searched, if its on water or land, etc. The game builds a list of possible outcomes for that level (big bad, bad, etc) then randomly picks one.

In MagisterCultuum's modmod, you can explore dungeons even if you have the Barbarian trait, and Unique dungeons never disappear. So I was playing as the clan, and landed a goblin on the broken sepulcher, exploring it every three turns (because it takes 3 turns to explore an epic dungeon in that modmod). The insane horde of barbarians that started walking around the world because of that did more damage then I've ever seen the Horsemen of the apocalypse do.

Just so you know, I'm thinking of making all barbarian Dungeon spawns start with HN, so they can still attack Barbarian civ units. I don't like the idea of blocking them from exploring, but that kind of thing is a bit too exploitive.

Thanks for the info Kael and Tasunke! But Kael's explanation seems a bit different, is it just the level that influences the die roll, or do factors like Hero and recon also affect it? Or do those factors come in at the second stage (what counts as a "good" result)?

[edit] oh, missed the "should" in Tasunke's post, sorry.

I went ahead and made units generated from def exploreLairBigBad(self, caster): give the barbarians spawned Hidden Nationality, which was easy since they are generated in python. The barbarians from def exploreLairBad(self, caster):, however, used the Goody system, and generates the units in the DLL. I cannot give those units HN without editing the DLL, giving all barbarians HN (which would make the trait pretty stupid), or changing their spawning to work though python instead. The last one is doable, but could be tedious. For now I think I'll leave just the Big Bad barbs and their henchmen as HN.

Thanks for the info Kael and Tasunke! But Kael's explanation seems a bit different, is it just the level that influences the die roll, or do factors like Hero and recon also affect it? Or do those factors come in at the second stage (what counts as a "good" result)?

[edit] oh, missed the "should" in Tasunke's post, sorry.

The spell can be found in Assets/Python/Entrypoints/SpellInterface.py, where it appears level is the only thing to effect the die roll.

You can find lair exploration results in Assets/Python/CustomFunctions.py; "Good" results are defined under def exploreLairGood(self, caster):,"Big Good" results are defined under def exploreLairBigGood(self, caster):, "Bad" results are defined under def exploreLairBad(self, caster):, "Big Bad" results are defined under def exploreLairBigBad(self, caster):, and "Neutral" results are defined under def exploreLairNeautral(self, caster):,

"Good" results are: giving the unit the Spirit Guide, Enchanted Blade, Spellstaff, Poisoned Blade, Flaming Arrows, Shield of Faith, Bronze Weapons, Iron Weapons, or Mithril Weapons promotion, or giving it xp, giving you gold, showing you a Treasure Chest (which can be opened with an effect similar to exploring a lair), giving you Supplies, a Healing Potion, or a disciple of a random religion.

My current game (Kuriotate):
graveyard - Hunting
dungeon 2 plot above - GP
next turn - researched Mysticism
GP - tech - FoL :)
next turn - event - Great Artist - Song of Autumn
all at 40-45 turn, Immortal level, epic speed :D
turn ~100 I got Animal Handling from another dungeon, and few turn later Iron Orb event -> Feral Bond
turn ~130 -> Baron + Aggressive Barbarians = (now) turn 180 + about 20 Blooded Werewolves and few Greater, when everyone else have axemans :D

Yes, I really like dungeons.

You can find lair exploration results in Assets/Python/CustomFunctions.py;

After perusing that file, it reminds that one of the things I adore about FfH2 is that, after playing for two and a half years, there are still things I haven't seen happen yet. :eek:

Bring it on! :goodjob:

Top Bottom