Most Significant Unit NOT in the Game

madmaven

Warlord
Nuclear Submarine. Wasn't this in previous civ games? I know it would have a limited role, but wasn't this *the* weapon of the Cold War and the past 50 years? It was so powerful it never got used (like the ICBM).

I wonder if there could be a terrorist unit. Sort of like a spy and mini bomb, and increasing unhappiness in cities where used.

Nuke sub will be modded in, I'm sure.

Terrorist unit- never happen (officially, anyway). Way too un-pc. But again, it could always be modded in.

I'd like to see spies have a broader range of capabilities ... increasing unhappiness, inciting revolts and such, but that's probably another thread.

Ack guess you missed my post :p

I modded what i consider a nuclear submarine into my game though i can't add new models yet (don't think anyone can) so it looks like a regular sub.

Nuclear Submarine
-More strength then a regular sub (it is bigger)
-Carries 5 ICBMs (though i can't change the range of them)
-Has weaknesses aginst normal Submarines (after all they are more manuverable)

Had a few other things but can't think of them atm.

haha, I did miss your post Ex. Sorry. :)

Great mod though.

I agree with the comment on the terrorist unit. I'm sure that's why it's not in the game. But for mod purposes: would only be built by theocracies? same attributes of a spy but you can either spawn other terrorists or detonate yourself and lower happiness.

madmaven said:
haha, I did miss your post Ex. Sorry. :)

Great mod though.

I agree with the comment on the terrorist unit. I'm sure that's why it's not in the game. But for mod purposes: would only be built by theocracies? same attributes of a spy but you can either spawn other terrorists or detonate yourself and lower happiness.

Terrorists aren't in the game, I suspect, because they're insignificant historically.

If it was about being PC I doubt they'd have fascism allow Mt. Rushmore.

Disagree on only theocracies building terrorists. Look up John the Painter.

Cannon.. I guess the cannon only lasted about 100 years or so?

Terrorist... you're probably right, not much historical significance. I just rattled off the requirements to build off the top of my head I haven't given it much thought. I'd better not do that when talking about a unit that could spark a hot debate.

Actually terrorists do have political significance, look at all those nice new laws (I bet you country got them too).
But they shouldn't directly cause unhappyness, rather have the attacked civ adopt police state automaticaly after some attacks. That would reflect reality.

I miss a coal fired WW1 War ship - IMO the gap between wooden frigate and oil fired destroyers a too big, and the crappy iron clade don't count because it can't cross the ocean and is far to slow ( and was IMO historical insignificant anyway )

Civ 4 is definately missing a few Naval units ( cruiser, nuclear sub, something between frigate and destroyer)

Insurgent/terrorist/rebel unit, spawned by chronic unhappiness, war fatigue, or lack of modern defenses in a city. These units certainly have historic significance, and are quite powerful in their ability to bring down an empire.

wcil said:
Militia / Guerilla / Fanatics, anyone?

I totally forgot about those guys from Civ 2 (or was it 3?). They were annoying!

Another thing I thought of is.. where's the television technology? I guess it would do the same as the radio. I'm not sure what the radio does but the TV could increase commerce by +1 gold for each population in a city and +1 happiness overall.

Something like that.

Am sort of looking to make a terrorist my first mod. Intending to let it allow you blow selected buildings up. Max of 3 per civ or something and with a HUGE diplomatic penalty if they get caught. Was thinking of having their success dependant on various civics. Only toying with the idea really upto now.

I miss the nuke sub the most, so I'm trying Exavier's mod now. I haven't got to the modern era yet in the game so the jury is still out on what I think of it but it sounds promising.

Speaking of the Fanatics unit anyone remember the Partisan unit from Civ 2? They would pop up around a enemey city after you conquered it. They need to be brought back, I always thought it was a very realistic outcome after taking a city, having insurgent units appear in the hills and woods around the city. They hardly ever turned the tide of the war but they added an extra element to fighting a war, basically knowing that you would have to fight insurgents after a city battle.

Top Bottom