1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most under-rated band ever?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by caketastydelish, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

If I heard of a band then they're overrated.

2. hewhoknowsall

hewhoknowsall Warlord

Paramore imo deserves more recognition.

3. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Hah. Every girl and their dog in my school worships the ground they step on.

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Yes, but are their cats worshipping that ground? Hamsters? Tiny confused gerbils? Those are the real questions! ;)

5. hewhoknowsall

hewhoknowsall Warlord

But according to Wikipedia they've sold 7 million albums, which is less than the freaking Jonas Brothers who apparently sold 8 million albums.

Not to mention that none of the songs have made it into the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100.

It's strange; sort of like how Boys Like Girls don't seem to chart very high even though their songs are both good and commercially appealing to the mainstream.

6. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I agree with .Shane.; the Replacements are underrated. I was surprised to see a reference to them in a recent comic strip.

7. Traitorfish

How is that "under-rated"? That's more than most genres ever sell! :huh:

That says more about the irrelevance of the single to contemporary rock music than anything else.

8. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Crush 40.

But that may be just because I'm a Sonic fanatic so I've developed a strong liking of them as have many fans.

9. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Mudhoney. Nirvana basically aped their whole style.

10. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Good call. They nicked stuff from Sonic Youth and the Pixies as well (I'd even go so far as to say some of their melodies ripped of The Police, too).

11. hewhoknowsall

hewhoknowsall Warlord

Well, compared to most bands they're obviously in the top 0.5% percentile given that they're famous.

Basically, which is strange, since many of Paramore's songs are commercially appealing yet still don't chart that relatively high.

12. Traitorfish

That's just the audience, though- rock (among other genres) is very album-orientated these days, so singles simply don't matter very much as an indicator of popularity. On top of that, bands like Paramore tend to develop a stronger niche following, rather than the broader following that say, Coldplay might court, so they lack the airtime that would, in some countries (such as the US), lead to higher charting status. I mean, you just have to look at their list of award nominations/wins to see that they're getting a significant level of recognition (even if a good portion of it simply of the fact that the singer is good-looking...:crazyeye:).

13. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

True say.

14. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Nirvana ripping off the Police? What songs?

15. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I can't really think of too many underrated bands that I like. I'm too mainstream.

One that I do love that some people think sucks is Pendulum. Another might be The Automatic. But I don't claim that those are the most underrated bands to have walked the earth. Just what I can think of atm.

16. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

Killdozer

17. holy king

holy king Deity

18. hewhoknowsall

hewhoknowsall Warlord

Paramore might be album orientated, but even in that category they're outsold by the freaking Jonas Brothers. Quite frankly I don't think that most people care if a song is rock or pop (modern rock and pop aren't that different) as long as it's good. When I hear a song on the radio I don't decide whether or not to listen to it based on its genre.

19. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

20. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

DUDE FACT! Frank Zappa is such an incredible musician! Definitely among my top 15 rock favorite musicians of all time.

Another one I'm going to go out and say is Dave Mason. The guy wrote Feelin' Alright with Traffic, but other than that he's rather unknown, even at his peak he was still not a big shot, but his music is so bloody great. Alone Together is one of my absolute favorite albums.