1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Most under-rated band ever?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by caketastydelish, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

I'm not going to say most under-rated, but Rammstein always gets very tepid reviews from the critics, despite usually being very catchy and clever in their lyrics and melodies.

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Nox Arcana is brilliant, but never discussed

3. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

They're ok. But ambiental music is a rarely discussed type of music (dark ambiental even less methinks).

4. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I think Zappa and the Mothers get plenty of cred. Obviously they can't get enough, because they're so ridiculously influential, but they're hardly unheard of.

I might have to nominate Pavement, even though they aren't a personal favorite.

On the personal favorite tip... Medeski, Martin & Wood are far, far too underrated.

This is the album version of a beautiful acoustic piece called "La Garonne," from their first album back when they were more of a straight piano trio.

Link to video.

And this is one of their more "out" compositions, showcasing a whole different side of the band.

Link to video.

5. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

6. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Growing up, I thought it was The Pixies.

7. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

That's a really good point. I guess I am thinking of "underrated" in terms of public awareness. And I'm not a serious musician myself (I just play around with my guitars and drums) but I definitely tend to be drawn to the artists that get called a "musician's musician" or some variation thereof.