Most underrated civ

Assyria. Especially for Multiplayer. Get 3 siege towers and go start wrecking your nearest neighbor before turn 40

Are they really underrated though? I've never heard anyone say, "Man, Assyria sucks". :p

Admittedly, Assyria is nerfed on Deity because early city capture is so inadvisable. You're much better off XPing your CBs until t90. Siege Towers are actually detrimental. If you use them to capture the city quickly, no one gets XP. Even if you just use them as a meatshield, the +50% damage means less XP for your archers. The city is at zero health 50% faster, so 50% less XP... But, underrated? Getting a free tech from capture is obviously helpful when you do finally capture. Who disagrees?

30 The Ottomans
31 ~ Japan
32 ~ Egypt
33 ~ Polynesia
34 ~ Morocco
35 ~ The Iroquois
36 ~ Byzantium
37 ~ Brazil
38 ~ America
39 ~ Russia
40 ~ Venice
41 ~ India
42 ~ France
43 ~ Denmark

Venice at 40th spot? Now there's an underrated civ. You produce so much gold that you can rush purchase tons of landsknects to save you from certain doom. Egypt is also a bit underrated given that it is the perfect wonder spamming civ. Byzantium was voted down early because you have to aim for religion in order to get the most out of them.

Civs on the list above that have not been mentioned yet that I feel are under rated are:

Russia - The early production boost is very nice. The extra hammers on horses and iron help produce more when it matters the most. Getting double quantity is also very helpful, you can trade some or you can make more than the others. Double nukes? Yes please.

I get a lot of plains and river starts with them which helps production. The Cossack is better than normal cavalry with the bonus versus wounded units both stacking with the charge promotion and sticks with you when you upgrade to tanks. The Krepost helps expand your borders faster saving you money especially if you do not take tradition and its super expansion.

America - A river start bias helps with early growth when it matters the most. The extra sight helps scouting and warfare. The cheaper border expansions are very helpful in a non tradition game. The minutemen get a free promotion, no terrain cost movement, faster golden ages and everything sticks when promoted? Sounds pretty great to me. Does anyone know if it double stacks with Alhambro for two free rough terrain promos? The B-17 with the extra promos can start with air repair without needing Autocracy or Brandenberg. It might be late but it rocks. it also sticks when it upgrades.

Morocco - Desert starts can be godly with enough river flood plains and hills. If you can get Desert Faith or Petra you can really dominate. The Kasbah makes every desert better, with Petra it makes it almost unfair. The trade bonus can be great with the extra science from being behind in tech on higher levels. The Berber Cav is cav that has a big bonus in home territory and a huge bonus in desert, both of which stick when upgraded. See what Berber promoted into tanks can do. Morocco without desert is pretty useless.

It sounds like for civs to be underrated, you have to roll or play on a certain kind of map. Are we narrowing the criteria so said civs meet a specific condition for them to excel?

It sounds like for civs to be underrated, you have to roll or play on a certain kind of map. Are we narrowing the criteria so said civs meet a specific condition for them to excel?

I'm simply going by the deity tier list which has asterisks* and carets^ to denote high tiered on Pangaea maps and Islands/Small Continents/Archipelago maps.

I really have to wonder what they were doing with the start biases in Brave New World. Sweden has no business being crippled by tundra.

Since two weeks, a lot of my random maps start with a tundra start. I don't know why (Immortal difficulty ?).
So Sweden is not different than another civ for me.

Moderator Action: Four posts about a civilization in real life deleted. If you wish to discus them in real life, please take it to the off topic forums.

Top Bottom