1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Most useless wonder in Civ IV?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mrdie, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Mrdie

Mrdie Lavdi!

I would poll this. But I don't know all the wonders and I assume that there are a lot more then twenty.

Mine is undecided, I just know that the UN is a pain in the ass when I am not in charge.

2. Dida

Dida YHWH

Most useless wonder must be the Internet.

3. MrCynical

MrCynical Chieftain

I'd put in another vote for the internet. It's far too late in the game to get you anything.

4. Morten Blaabjerg

Morten Blaabjerg Settler

Sorry for threadjacking a bit - any ideas on how to make the internet a significant wonder? It should be late in the game, IMO, but how could it be powered up?

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Chieftain

Maybe make the internet give a substantial bonus to science in that city, or maybe just a free tech?

6. Vosje

Vosje Chieftain

First thing that sprang to mind as I read the title of this thread was indeed The Internet. It's just seems that useless that late in the game to get. A very watered down Great Library from the previous Civ games (I think).

One use I've heard for it before was from the start, you beeline straight to this wonder with your research so you learn all the other ones you passed on the way from other civs after you build it. But I think this severely gimps your economy and haven't bothered to try that out.

7. trotskylite

trotskylite Chieftain

the internet should have been some sort of commerce bonus

8. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

I agree that the internet is the most useless wonder.

When I can build it, I'm usually busy building spaceship parts. There's no reason to stop building those in order to build a wonder that gives you techs which you could research in a few turns anyway.

9. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Wow, it's been a while...

Face it guys, the internet is only in for the Al Gore joke. Gameplay wise, it's more than useless.

10. Runriot

Runriot Chieftain

MOst useless wonder is the Ironworks as is, its broke, and adds absolutely nothing dispite what the 'peadia says about it.

Come on patch!

11. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

Not quite. It does add the unhealthy faces, and it does allow for 3 Engineers...

12. Soryn Arkayn

Soryn Arkayn Chieftain

Is the Ironworks really broken? I didn't know this.

Although I kinda figured there was something wrong with it because when I built it the city didn't acquire as much boost in production as it should've.

I think I should point out that The Internet is actually a Project, NOT a Wonder. Regardless, I definitely agree overall that The Internet is the most useless "Wonder" because it comes too late in the game to benefit you with two free techs. The only reason any player would build it is if they were lagging behind other Civs in the tech race and tried to use it to catch up. But the problem is that in the time it takes to finish it chances are that you'd finish the tech tree anyway.

13. Dida

Dida YHWH

Does it double the production in the city?

14. atog

atog Chieftain

Internet is far from useless when used right.

If people are playing in the lower levels. um.... yea you have the lead and you even researched everything before you advance in era.

but notice this: (correct me if this is wrong) Civ 4 's tech tree is the first to introduce "OR" prerequisite!!

This mean you can be really advance down 1 path and have nothing in other. like i can go religion all the way without even ironworking! While i found it funny the pathing was more diverse in early era than in modern era (late game, there are only 2 (or 3) paths. everything choke at scientific method and the other stuffs are flights and plastic.

but anyway, these "OR" prerequiste enables you to make short cuts to certain techs. Internet is really good if you are losing tech and you can short cut to it and catch up.

Internet might not be useful for everygame, and i'd probably will still vote it for the most useless as compare to other wonders. but it's quite essential in certain situations.

i think besides the ironwork being broken, the second most useless would be the Forbidden palace and the V-something (that french thing that does the same thing) i hardly notice the reduction :( and the forbidden palace is particularly worse since it requires 6 courthouse to build.... lol

15. nfwlpw

nfwlpw Chieftain

I think the Internet should spread your culture, even to civs that aren't next to you.

16. Dracleath

Dracleath Chieftain

Space Elevator? Because by the time I build it I usually have the spaceship launched anyway.

17. atog

atog Chieftain

that's so not internet. sorry , please dont take this personally. but the real internet has some form of its own culture really independent of locations. for the forum alone, you see people all over the world typing acronyms like "imo" "btw" LOL:lol:

18. 777

777 Chieftain

Great Library and Internet.

Great Library gives you one free tech and was that it? Great.

Interent, like above it comes too late at the game so it's not maybe the best idea to put efforts on internet. Especially if you have something more important to build 'cos net just isn't :D

19. UnitQ

UnitQ #1 Unit

The pyromids, YES i said it and whay!! i don't like its consept it seams like cheating to me. I never make it and always try to distroy it when it is made. I wish thay could make the pyromids do something else like give a free religous tech or something.

20. Tiger_Nation

Tiger_Nation Chieftain

I've built the UN and that is really starting to annoy me