1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Smellincoffee, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

When I was a small child, in kindergarten, one afternoon the children convinced one of the janitors -- a large, athletic fellow -- to spin the merry-go-round. I was on the merry-go-round, and the janitor or janitors began running, spinning the thing. We went around and around, faster and faster until we were going much faster than the thing was made for. I recall having a horrible feeling in my gut -- like I was being held back, couldn't breathe. I remember my vision being very much distorted, and for some reason I associate the color green with the memory. Eventually the torture -- for me, anyway- ended, and I crawled off of it. The visual distortion and instinctual terror faded. I didn't get physically sick -- no vomiting -- but I remember feeling terrible.

Ever since then occassionaly I'll have a nightmare where that feeling revisits me. Sometimes I'll be on a roller coaster (I avoid them and other amusement park rides that feature a lot of disorienting movement in the waking world, not tempting that feeling), sometimes I'm in a car. I attribute any lucidity I have in dreams to the terror of feeling that way. Whenever I sense that feeling coming on and getting stronger in a dream, I begin screaming at myself to wake up, to stop; and it happens. I experience a minor gut feeling all of the time -- coasting down a hill when I'm driving in the country one day, but then it's sort of a ticklish feeling that makes me smile. I have no idea what this feeling is, nor do I have an idea of what that motion-terror is really called. I figured it was most kin to motion sickness, which is why I titled this post as I have. So:

1. Has anyone ever had an experience like this?

2. Can you tell me what I'm feeling?

2. unscratchedfoot

unscratchedfoot War is a good thing.

3. nivi

nivi Call me Ishmael

I've read somewhere that children can't feel motion sickness, only adults can.

4. Scratcher

Scratcher Emperor

I don't think that is correct. I know lots of people who's children are sick during medium to long car journeys.

5. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

I only get "motion sickness" when I've eaten something right before I go on a ride that spins in circles. Then my food comes up and out. Other than that, if I eat fine, I'll be good to go.

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Isnt that called nausea?

It is only natural that your vision was distorted, after spinning so much. If you try to whirl around (ever seen a whirling dervish?) you would feel it again. I suspect that it has to do with adjustment to a different state of motion- the mind has to re-adjust back.

7. A'AbarachAmadan

A'AbarachAmadan Deity

I've always had motion sickness, even as a young child. It sucks. My latest experience was being foolish enough to get in a flight simulator with my six year old son...and give him the controls. My wife, watching from the outside, said he gave a pretty wild ride. I knew that, as I had to hit the emergency stop! The few minutes in the darn simulator were worse than riding a C-130 through a heavy storm followed by a 'fun' combat landing while I was in Afghanistan. I never dream about it or anything, but rely on meds and wristbands to make me feel less sick.

8. mayakovsky

mayakovsky Cosmic Slop

Ughh...I've dealt with motion sickness for as long as I can remember. I do think it has progressed with my age. I used to just not be able to read in the car, then I couldn't sit in the backseat, and now I have to drive or I toss the cookies.

It does, indeed, suck. I can't ride anything that spins. Thank god for the patch. Otherwise I couldn't travel by air, sea or rail.

Hehe, I was in Peru last year and was walking around Cuzco and a kid walked up to me saying, "Sony? Sony?" I didn't know what he was talking about until I realized he was pointing at the patch behind my ear. I had to break it to him that I was just a wuss and didn't want to puke all over his beautiful country.

9. Sophie 378

Sophie 378 Avvie by ybbor

I seem to be the odd one out so far ... I used to suffer from motion sickness, always getting sick on long car journeys. Now I'm fine on boats, reading in the back seat of the car, and only scared on rollercoasters, not sick. Any theories about why this should change?

10. unscratchedfoot

I'm fine until I smell exhaust fumes. I love amusement parks and riding in helicopters so the motion never bothers me, just the fumes from some vehicles and outboard motors.

11. Jawz II

Jawz II Oh Dear

we used to this when we were oh about 15. dont ask me why. :lol:

12. unscratchedfoot

I just on a mini-sized merry go around a couple of weeks ago and my friend spun it up to supersonic levels. I never felt sick at all but I've never been so dizzy and the incredible G forces almost sent me flying like Superman off the thing. Walking was never so difficult when I got off it. :crazyeye: