1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Motivation Advice

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Creatureboy11, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Creatureboy11

Creatureboy11 A Civ4 Leader

NOTICE - Sorry if this is the wrong forum; if it is please move it. :)

Can anybody help me, please? I can't seem to get through even one turn of Civ4, even if I really want to. What I believe is the problem is that I have no motivation before starting a game. I have no reason to play; I am only like "Hey, I wanna play!". Some motivation would still be very nice, and I have a lack of inspiration, also. Please help. :thanx:

This is me to the person who sucsessfully gives me motivation to get through a game: :worship:

2. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
    -Conan the Praetorian

Play Earth18Civs as Rome. Beeline IW, spam praetorians, annihilate Europe. Fun for all. You might not finish the game, but it's a hour or two well spent if you need instant gratification.

3. Creatureboy11

Ah, thank you TheMulattoMaker; for now you get the :worship:. I was looking for lots of motivation for future games, though, and fun playing as everybody on any map, not a simple tactic. I'll still try it.

4. TheMulattoMaker

I've had a ton of ideas, just no follow-through. As far as getting through a game, I'm afraid I can't help you, as I have the same problem. Civ4 has so many options that I'm like a baby in a room full of shiny things. "Ooh, play as HC of the Portuguese on an Islands map! Ooh, play as Monty on Earth18 and jagrush the Americans! Ooh, play as the Vikings on Archipelago! Ooh, play as Toku of the Ottomans on Pangaea, beeline Gunpowder, run over everybody!"

I hardly ever finish a game. I'm always finding distracting new ideas to try. That last one- I never even made it to those uber-Janissaries before I moved on to my next game. But it speaks volumes for Civ4 that out of the hundreds of game I've started, hardly even bothering to finish any, I've never gotten bored. :love:

EDIT: Actually just noticed your avatar and "The Ruler of Europe"... I swear, I came up with the idea on my own... ;)

5. Creatureboy11

Oh! Thank you for that insight! :)

EDIT: I know! I once ruled all of Europe and Africa on a Settler Earth18Civs the French

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

1) Play GOTMs
    2) Try to win each VC by the earliest date possible
    3) Not sure of you current level, CB11, but try to improve you game to win at the next level. This is one of my primary motivating factors
    4) Try different settings and then employ tactics to take advantage of them - such as Raging Barbs
    5) Get BTS if you don't have it.
    6) Play forum games on the S&T forum - there are plenty of them. From Nobles Club to Immortal U and Cookbood, to one-off games by members with specific goals.

7. Creatureboy11

S&T forum? What is that?

8. lymond

Strategy and Tips forum - Where you will actually learn to play and enjoy the game....

9. Shoes

Shoes Warlord

IF YOU DONT TURN CIV ON RIGHT THIS MOMENT SOLDIER IMMA MAKE YOU CRY LIKE A LITTlE BABY THAT JUST WET ITSELF AND I MIGHT ASWELL MAKE YOU DO THAT TOO!!!!

Enough motivation for one day? ^^

10. Creatureboy11

Umm.... okay...

11. Shoes

Shoes Warlord

Im kiddin xD

12. TheMulattoMaker

I should've seen the [Vanilla] in the post title from the beginning, beause very much THIS. Vanilla is great... BtS is fantacular.

13. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

Go to custom games setttings at the start and set a bunch of stuff to Random. It will keep you on your toes.

Try mods like Heph, History in the making, etc. All very good.

14. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

Well if you don't have any motivation to play, do something else, like something constructive. Once you've spent hours upon hours of being productive, you'll want a break, and your enjoyment of the game will increase. :)

15. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

Yeah, I used to enjoy Vanilla, until I got BtS, which is so awesome it makes even newer games look bad.

Anyway, motivation ... I'd suggest trying to win the game before it gets boring, which is to say, before there are too many units / cities / etc. for you to comfortably manage. Try smaller maps, too.

16. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Hall of Fame gauntlets are always good to try.

17. Winsling

Winsling Chieftain

Conversely, try a game that starts after Ancient (in advanced options). You might enjoy starting with more units, and bigger cities that have infrastructure.

18. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

I gotta try that some time.

19. lymond

Yeah, while I prefer ancient starts, a later start can be a nice change of pace to focus more on the later game. Renaissance starts are probably the most interesting with 3 settlers, workers and longbows, plus an immediate 2 or 3 civics switch. Serfdom early actually has merit on advance starts. There were a couple of fairly recent BOTM's (GOTM) with Renaissance starts - one with Zara and one with Lincoln. As you can imagine Zara would be fun in this scenario.

20. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

You want to play, but heuristically you don't have a sense of what you're supposed to do automatically. This results in an inability to interpret an overwhelming amount of information into theoretical understanding/mechanical reactions, which you interpret as no motivation.

At least this is why a lot of students aren't motivated.