Mountain wonders, and settling this island

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by paulcarri, Aug 16, 2013.

1. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

Hey all

Just wondering, do natural wonders that are mountains count for mountain buildings and wonders?

Ive started a new game and am torn on where to settle, by the corn is riverside with a mountain, but makes the third city site cramped...its archi and small..

Also i ignored religion in my first game, i guess a natural wonder is screaming for me to include faith play?

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Snes

Snes Warlord

No, as best as I can tell you need a generic mountain to get mountain-related improvements.

3. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

cheers mate

4. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

Some natural wonders count as mountains

5. porygon3

porygon3 Chieftain

i would assume natural wonders that are actual mountains would be fine. i've been able to build an observatory in a city next to the crater which isn't even a mountain, i think as long as the minimap icon is the same as a mountain you'll be able to build things

6. nipplefish

nipplefish Chieftain

I had a city right next to Cerro de Potosi but the game wouldn't let me build Machu Picchu until I bought a normal mountain tile. Weird thing was that once I finished it the game drew Machu Picchu on top of Cerro instead of the normal mountain :p

7. neilkaz

neilkaz King

In my ongoing game I settled a city right next to Uluru to grab that faith ASAP and later was suprised to be able to have an Observatory there. So yes, it counts as a mountain for that purpose, but since you cannot build on natural resource tiles, I cannot build Machu Pichu or that castle wonder (Neiwshwhatever).

I like your starting location and its nice to be able to build 2 new cities in good spots on your starting isle in archi. If you choose carefully you can use every available good land and good sea tile in sight including those small islands with things on them. This requires two new cities on the coast which is great for archi for trading purposes and also since you can open exploration and then take +3 prod. in coastal cities.

.. neilkaz ..

8. eewallace

eewallace King

Interestingly enough, I once had Machu Pichu show up on top of Old Faithful, so I guess it counts as a mountain??? I did, however, have a regular mountain next to my city (which is where I thought Machu Pichu would show up) so I'm not sure if I would have been able to build Machu Pichu if the regular mountain hadn't been there. I should have got a screenshot of it...

9. neilkaz

neilkaz King

For sure, I cannot build MP in my game as at least two CS want it and I've checked more than once. I think you need a regular mountain tile, but if you have one, the game may then screw up and place it atop your NR mountain.

10. Lunco

Lunco Chieftain

OP, it's your duty to test this out and confirm.

11. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

NWs count as mountains for getting observatories, but do not count when trying to build Machu Pichu or Neutschweinstein. (the graphics may show smthg different, but you need another regular mountain tile no further than 2 tiles away to build them)

12. Deau

Deau Emperor

Ah that explains it. I was going to say I've had countless observatories with only Mt. Sinai as immediate mountain.