1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mountains, mountains, mountains

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Wine Curmudgeon, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Wine Curmudgeon

Wine Curmudgeon Chieftain

I'm playing Civ3 Complete, and 6 or7 out of 10 starting locations over the last three or four weeks are mostly mountains. I've also had continents, even if my starting location is OK, that are least half mountains. I may not see a cow or sheaf of wheat in 10 or 12 starting locations. Needless to say, there is no reason to play those particular games. Is anyone else having this happen?

I've been doing this so long (embarrassingly long, as many of us probably have) that the patterns are obvious and frustrating. And yes, I am more or less keeping track -- I said this was embarrassing. Is this just part of a lousy run of map generation? Is there something else going on? And is there anything I can do about it except start another game?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

What was the world age you chose?

3. Wine Curmudgeon

That's one of the first things I checked.. to make sure I wasn't using an older world. But it's the standard map at 4 billion, the same one I've been using for all these years.

4. Buttercup

Buttercup King

Just out of curiosity, what civilisation are you choosing? Is it the same with all tribes or do you tend to stick to the same ones?

5. Wine Curmudgeon

I use random opponents, but do play the same civ -- a modified version of the Americans, which is mostly different cities.

6. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Since it sounds like you have modified the game in the editor to give America different cities, then you can set the editor to not allow cities in mountains. That will get rid of the mountain start position. You might start next to mountains, but not on them. Also, are you playing Civ3 Conquests or one of the earlier versions?