1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mountains

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Smeee, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Smeee

Smeee Chieftain

Do mountains have any point that I've missed so far? I pretty sure I haven't found a unit which can traverse them. The only thing mountains seem to be goof for now is being in the way.

2. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

They create natural borders. Very much like they do in real life. I think we have Rhye and his modding of Civ3 to thank for this one, as once he did it we all saw it made perfect sense!

3. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

That's exactly their purpose: being in the way. :) And, when there are enough of them in one spot, providing natural borders.

4. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Introducing natural blockades to land movement is an interesting step, though I think they made mountains a little too useless. I'd allow them to be mined by the modern age, which in turn would require workers to be able to enter the tile. I agree armies of tanks and similar should never be able to cross them either, but how about a return of the alpine troops from Civ 2? They'd only be available late in the game, and have a fairly low strength, but would be able to attack the enemy from unexpected directions.

5. evil_linus

evil_linus Chieftain

The main problem with using mouintains as natural blocker is that the very seldom form a chain (which they do in real life). A moutain top just standing there on it's own is just plain utterly meaningles.

And also, mountains in the modern era (maybe just a kind of moutains?) should provide some sort of income from alpine tourism.

6. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

The continents map script likes to make mountain chains in places. It's also possible to muck with the map scripts to make the algorithm more likely to create multiple mountains in a chain.

From reading (not from experience), it sounded like the highlands map script is all about mountain chains.

7. pekwind

pekwind Chieftain

in earth map, the tibet mountains do form a chain...

8. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I don't like the idea with the mountains. Hannibal crossed the Alps with hundreds of elephants!
    The Romans didn't expect an attack from the north, so they left that border undefended. Then they shouted: "Hannibal ante portes!". At that moment Hannibal almost beaten Rome.

So mountains can be crossed even in Ancient Age and even with elephants!

9. Palantir30

Palantir30 Warlord

Great- that's....one. On a planet.

They went a couple steps too far on Mountains. They should be impassable to everything BUT workers, flying things and alpine units. And if a worker builds a road on them, then they should now be passable, if there's a connecting road. that way you could choose to keep them as borders, or use them for production.

Because, in real life, there are never any minerals in mountains that are worth mining, really..... :crazyeye:

As it is, mountains are a waste of a square and are just an annoying command to modders to fix it.

10. MattJek

MattJek King

Ummm... there are no mountains in civ4. There are only hills an peaks. Weird how they put a peak terrain in but not a mountain terrain.

11. Ranos

Ranos King

Mountain or Peak they are the same thing. People call things what they are used to and in every previous civ game, they were mountains. Anyway...

Useless mountains are annoying but tolerable but useless Deserts? I think I understand why they made deserts worthless, the Sahara is useful for nothing. The problem is, not all deserts are Sahara-like. Arizona is pretty much one big desert and there are a few million people living there. Same with New Mexico. I have no problem with deserts producing nothing, a hammer would be nice but not necessary. You should be able to build other improvements on them though. A cottage that maybe can't grow beyond a village. Workshops give +2 instead of +1 hammers. Farms can be built there once you ahve researched Biology. Windmills should be a definate since there is plenty of wind in the desert.

You get my point.

12. corwin90

corwin90 Chieftain

In my last game, I thought one of my cities had a natural border because it had tons of mountains on one side. It "looked" like there was an entire mountain range. But, alas, it was just a bunch of solitary mountains. In other words:

Open Terrain = .
    Mountain = x

x . .
    . x .
    . . x

So, units had no trouble crossing diagonally. :(

13. slothman

slothman Emperor

It wasn't really used until electricty when irrigation could put anywhere.
    Or at least electricty in the civ sense.

14. slothman

slothman Emperor

edit douple post

15. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

Mountains are sometimes impassable and sometimes they can be crossed ... mouseover the range (if one exists) and it'll either show you a red "IMPASSABLE" or you can move across it (between peaks).

I've started playing more on the HIGHLANDS map, with mountains forming ranges option tunred on ... it makes for some really nice peaked ranges and naturally defensive positions. I'd strongly recommend that everyone takes a look at this option and map combination.

He also lost 14,000 men during the crossing and his actions were far from typical: herculian, infact.

16. Venger

Venger Give it a tumble, sport

Civ3 handled mountains better in my opinion - off limits to wheeled units UNLESS a road was built, and it bloody well took forever to build one.

Mountains are mined, traversed, and called home to many people. Except in Civ4...

Definite step backwards.

Venger

17. panzooka

panzooka Prince

in real life, there was a battle between india and china, and chinese army put artillery on top of the Himalaya,

18. MattJek

MattJek King

You totally missed my point !. Peaks and mountains are not the same thing. Peaks are the highest points of a mountain range. Mountains are passable, peaks arent. There should be a terrain type called mountain thats in between hills and peaks. Think twice about what I said before you correct me.

19. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

You are right and I agree 100%, but you don't gotta be an ass about it.

;)

20. Dominico

Dominico Prince

Mountains are passable? When have armies gone over mountains?

Even in the example of Hannibal he went through a pass inbetweem mountains. You can do this in game, in a mountain range there is usually a passable square where you can go through. However the mountains make this easy to blockade by placing a unit or 3 at the other side.

Mountains are an interesting addition to the game. They make city positioning more important (you can no longer gain resources from mountains which is pretty realistic) and also you thankfully can no longer build cities on top of them lol. Which was silly before.